Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux Firewalls
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Linux Firewalls Post 7220 by LivinFree on Friday 21st of September 2001 12:43:57 AM
Old 09-21-2001
Well, I do have to say, if it ain't broken, why fix it? But if you really want to switch away from OpenBSD, I agree with staying away from Raptor. I personally would stay away from Checkpoint as well. I haven't seen many problems with the Cisco Pix systems, and a few of our firewalls at work are in fact Pix.

If you really want to check out Linux firewalling, see here:
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature...netfilter.html
It gives some good information on iptables (the newest and greatest from the 2.4.* kernel). Iptables give you many many new abilities over previous incarnations in Linux firewalling.

You can spoof your true operating system and version, a move in the direction of stateful packet filtering, and more! If you decide to go the way of Linux, I think you'll do fine, provided you study up and do some testing before placing it in production.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Halted Firewalls by Mike Murray

Secure packet filtering on high-bandwidths fw/rtr for large business tasks. Has anyone tried this concept on openbsd? The article is posted at www.sysadminmag.com on page 27. January 2002 issue. I believe Mike has hit upon something that can be applied in the field today and prevent fw... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dpatel
0 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

firewalls and proxys

what can I use to find out whether a computer has a firewall or proxy??? What can I use do erase it? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phatress
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Firewalls and other security measures...

One day, while using my PC with Windows XP, my router just stopped working. So, for the ability to connect to the web at that moment, I connected directly to the cable modem without my router. I noticed immediately that people were trying to hack into my computer because my personal firewall would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minnesota Red
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Firewalls

Hi, I was doing abit of reading on firewalls when this question came up. Is there any command which sets up a firewall that will only allow packets through if they come from a port number less than 1024? How about a command which allows packets through if they are destined for a port... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sleepster
3 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

Firewalls and cryptography

As we know, firewall is designed to keep unauthorized outsiders from tampering with a computer system or network. We don't talk about computer security without cryptography. In this case, may I know,How does cryptographic protection (at the TCP/IP layers or at the application layer) affect a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: heroine
1 Replies
ARNO_FWFILTER(1)														  ARNO_FWFILTER(1)

NAME
arno-fwfilter - a filter script to make iptables firewall logs more readable for humans SYNOPSIS
arno-fwfilter [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
arno-fwfilter is a pipe filter script to make the firewall-log better readable. Some usage examples are: Static firewall log filtering: arno-fwfilter < logfile Realtime firewall logging on tty10: tail --follow <logfile> | arno-fwfilter >/dev/tty10 & OPTIONS
--help, -h Print the available options. --html-output, -o Use basic HTML to format the output --no-locations, -l Disable to (try to) obtain the IP's geographical location. By default, http://www.hostip.info/ is visited to get this information. --no-colors, -c Disable the use of colors in the output. --single-line, -s Put all information about an event in a single line SEE ALSO
iptables(8), arno-iptables-firewall(8) The http://rocky.eld.leidenuniv.nl/ web site. AUTHOR
arno-fwfilter was written by Arno van Amersfoort <arnova@rocky.eld.leidenuniv.nl>. This manual page was written by Michael Hanke <michael.hanke@gmail.com>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). Michael Hanke September 2005 ARNO_FWFILTER(1)