Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity how to hide the IP in the email header? Post 7217 by Neo on Thursday 20th of September 2001 11:34:15 PM
Old 09-21-2001
It is not a just a matter of spoofing the sending IP. SMTP is based on TCP which is connection oriented. The exploit most commonly used is when one or more intermediate SMTP relays are used to relay the mail combined with dirty tricks in the SMTP protocol exchange.

I agree with PxT that there are not too many defensible scenarios to send anonymous email or mask the originating machine. The potential for abuse may far outweigh the benefit for good.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Reading the header of a tar file(posix header)

say i have these many file in a directory named exam. 1)/exam/newfolder/link.txt. 2)/exam/newfolder1/ and i create a tar say exam.tar well the problem is, when i read the tar file i dont find any metadata about the directories,as you cannot create a tar containig empty directories. on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanvirk
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailx requirement - email body header in bold and data content in normal text

Dear all- I have a requirement to send an email via email with body content which looks something below- Email body contents -------------------- RequestType: Update DateAcctOpened: 1/5/2010 Note that header information and data content should be normal text.. Please advice on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining header and data and send email without usage of temp file

Dear All- My requirement is as below- Header file $ cat HEADER.txt RequestId: RequestDate: Data file $ cat DATAVAL.txt 1001|2009-03-01 I need to send the combined data below as email body via mailx command ------------------ RequestId:1001 RequestDate:2009-03-01 I would like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing email header information by tweaking sendmail

How can i tweak sendmail configuration files so that the "Received:" field is removed from email header information? Or else can i change Received: (from enswitch@localhost) in email header to something likeReceived: (from xyz@localhost)? ---------- Post updated at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge all csv files in one folder considering only 1 header row and ignoring header of all others

Friends, I need help with the following in UNIX. Merge all csv files in one folder considering only 1 header row and ignoring header of all other files. FYI - All files are in same format and contains same headers. Thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shiny_Roy
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulate all rows except header, but header should be output as well

Hello There... I have a sample input file .. number:department:amount 125:Market:125.23 126:Hardware store:434.95 127:Video store:7.45 128:Book store:14.32 129:Gasolline:16.10 I will be doing some manipulations on all the records except the header, but the header should always be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: juzz4fun
2 Replies

7. Programming

How to hide from UNIX strings - obfuscate or hide a literal or constant?

Hi, I need to somehow pipe the password to a command and run some SQL, for example, something like echo $password | sqlplus -s system @query01.sql To make it not so obvious, I decided to try out writing a small C program that basically just do echo $password. So now I just do x9.out | sqlplus... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive header for email body

i have added the header also to the script you provided, it is working fine, but I am expecting to get the header over those rows for which the URL or port changes. URL will remain same for few rows and then it change, and once the URL change the header should come, like in below input you can see... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find header in a text file and prepend it to all lines until another header is found

I've been struggling with this one for quite a while and cannot seem to find a solution for this find/replace scenario. Perhaps I'm getting rusty. I have a file that contains a number of metrics (exactly 3 fields per line) from a few appliances that are collected in parallel. To identify the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: verdepollo
3 Replies
qmail-remote(8)                                               System Manager's Manual                                              qmail-remote(8)

NAME
qmail-remote - send mail via SMTP SYNOPSIS
qmail-remote host sender recip [ recip ... ] DESCRIPTION
qmail-remote reads a mail message from its input and sends the message to one or more recipients at a remote host. The remote host is qmail-remote's first argument, host. qmail-remote sends the message to host, or to a mail exchanger for host listed in the Domain Name System, via the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP). host can be either a fully-qualified domain name: silverton.berkeley.edu or an IP address enclosed in brackets: [128.32.183.163] The envelope recipient addresses are listed as recip arguments to qmail-remote. The envelope sender address is listed as sender. Note that qmail-remote does not take options and does not follow the getopt standard. TRANSPARENCY
End-of-file in SMTP is encoded as dot CR LF. A dot at the beginning of a line is encoded as dot dot. It is impossible in SMTP to send a message that does not end with a newline. qmail-remote converts the UNIX newline convention into the SMTP newline convention by inserting CR before each LF. It is a violation of the SMTP protocol to send a message that contains long lines or non-ASCII characters. However, qmail-remote will hap- pily send such messages. It is the user's responsibility to avoid generating illegal messages. RESULTS
qmail-remote prints some number of recipient reports, followed by a message report. Each report is terminated by a 0 byte. Each report begins with a single letter: r Recipient report: acceptance. h Recipient report: permanent rejection. s Recipient report: temporary rejection. K Message report: success. host has taken responsibility for delivering the message to each acceptable recipient. Z Message report: temporary failure. D Message report: permanent failure. After this letter comes a human-readable description of what happened. The recipient reports will always be printed in the same order as qmail-remote's recip arguments. Note that in failure cases there may be fewer recipient reports than recip arguments. qmail-remote always exits zero. CONTROL FILES
helohost Current host name, for use solely in saying hello to the remote SMTP server. Default: me, if that is supplied; otherwise qmail-remote refuses to run. smtproutes Artificial SMTP routes. Each route has the form domain:relay, without any extra spaces. If domain matches host, qmail-remote will connect to relay, as if host had relay as its only MX. (It will also avoid doing any CNAME lookups on recip.) host may include a colon and a port number to use instead of the normal SMTP port, 25: inside.af.mil:firewall.af.mil:26 relay may be empty; this tells qmail-remote to look up MX records as usual. smtproutes may include wildcards: .af.mil: :heaven.af.mil Here any address ending with .af.mil (but not af.mil itself) is routed by its MX records; any other address is artificially routed to heaven.af.mil. The qmail system does not protect you if you create an artificial mail loop between machines. However, you are always safe using smt- proutes if you do not accept mail from the network. timeoutconnect Number of seconds qmail-remote will wait for the remote SMTP server to accept a connection. Default: 60. The kernel normally imposes a 75-second upper limit. timeoutremote Number of seconds qmail-remote will wait for each response from the remote SMTP server. Default: 1200. SEE ALSO
addresses(5), envelopes(5), qmail-control(5), qmail-send(8), qmail-smtpd(8), qmail-tcpok(8), qmail-tcpto(8) qmail-remote(8)