Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Return Code of multiple inner executions Post 72050 by jerardfjay on Wednesday 18th of May 2005 07:07:21 AM
Old 05-18-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
For Q #1 -
redirect the output to a logfile like this
Code:
perl myscript.pl > ~/logfile

"~/" is Korn shell for home directory
I was hoping there would be something similar in PERL to perform the redirection within the program instead of actually using the command line redirection (for example we can use exec >> $LOGFILE 2>&1 in shell programming). Is there any such equivalent to redirect STDOUT and STDERR to a logfile within PERL program? Please advise. Thanks.

Jerardfjay

Last edited by jerardfjay; 05-18-2005 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: better reason for request

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 's

Hi All, Can anyone please let me know the syntax / how to pick up the Return Code ( RC) from the mailx command and return it to SAS uisng 'system()' function and '${?}'. I am in a process to send the mail automatically with an attachment to bulk users. I have used 'Mailx' and 'Unencode'... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas6
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gen. Question - Script calls multiple programs - Return Code Handling?

General Question: If a script calls multiple external programs (external to the script, but still on unix), where do the return codes go? Let's say one of external programs fails, does the entire script fail and send a non-zero return code to the job scheduling software, or is the return code sent... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jnanasakti
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking for return status between multiple commands

i have to run set of commands command1 command2 command3 command4 Now Whenever any of these command fails i should quit while capturing error message. Is there a better way then checking for $? after each command. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vickylife
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

return code of multiple java process

Hi, I have a unix shell script which is launching multiple java processes by calling a java class in a loop, but each time with a different set of parameters. Now I have to use the return code from each process in the script later. but how do i obtain the return code from each process... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rama354
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can $? return multiple values?

Hi, I have a script which does something like the below: execute_some_script.sh $arg1 $arg2 `exec-some-cmd` if then; do something else do something else fi However, during some cases, there is an error saying: line xxx: [: too many arguments at the line number which has... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laloo
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Multiple Return Values

Hi, I need to retrun multiple values function errorFileCreation { echo "Before" return -1 "Siva"; echo "Aftyer" } echo ${?} - This can be used to getting first value. how can i get second one. Advance Thanks... Shiv (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsivasan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pausing between two executions in a shell script

HI, Please help me on this. I have to execute 100 scripts which i have redirected in to a file . I want to pause the script after first execution and once i say enter key word it has to go to next execution. My looks like for RUNFILES in `cat ${SOURCEFILES}/scripts` do echo $RUNFILES; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srichunduru
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable value return of multiple command

I wrote this script #!/bin/bash var=`du -sch /var/log/messages;du -sch /var/log/maillog` echo $var I am getting result as follows. # sh my.sh 2.1M /var/log/messages 2.1M total 296K /var/log/maillog 296K total I need it like below 2.1M /var/log/messages 296K... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilcliff
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to increase executions speed of loops.?

(2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Venkatesh1
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run script every minute and terminate after specified number of executions

when it runs and look at my acron.log file it generates an error as below /tmp/prog.sh: line 4: (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: azherkn3
12 Replies
LOGSAVE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							LOGSAVE(8)

NAME
logsave - save the output of a command in a logfile SYNOPSIS
logsave [ -asv ] logfile cmd_prog [ ... ] DESCRIPTION
The logsave program will execute cmd_prog with the specified argument(s), and save a copy of its output to logfile. If the containing directory for logfile does not exist, logsave will accumulate the output in memory until it can be written out. A copy of the output will also be written to standard output. If cmd_prog is a single hyphen ('-'), then instead of executing a program, logsave will take its input from standard input and save it in logfile logsave is useful for saving the output of initial boot scripts until the /var partition is mounted, so the output can be written to /var/log. OPTIONS
-a This option will cause the output to be appended to logfile, instead of replacing its current contents. -s This option will cause logsave to skip writing to the log file text which is bracketed with a control-A (ASCII 001 or Start of Header) and control-B (ASCII 002 or Start of Text). This allows progress bar information to be visible to the user on the console, while not being written to the log file. -v This option will make logsave to be more verbose in its output to the user. AUTHOR
Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu) SEE ALSO
fsck(8) E2fsprogs version 1.44.1 March 2018 LOGSAVE(8)