Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ps issue
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ps issue Post 71940 by S.Vishwanath on Tuesday 17th of May 2005 09:59:26 AM
Old 05-17-2005
Hi, from Gowda's Reply...What it sounds is like...

The applications (binary) are running fine as expected (it should not make difference whether it is a background process or a Unix Deamon). And all the necessary/required I/O with respect to applications are occurring fine with out any issues.

So, in this case, one would expect that 'ps' command with right options should list this process & its current status!!

It sounds like all this was working fine until few days back, and suddenly he is
seeing that "PS" is not listing the desired process, while the desired process is still running properly.

Also, in a (Freshly installed) linux box, if one executes ps -ef, would see atlest some hand full lists of process.

But in this case, he says that on using ps -ef, he is not getting any output, instead he is just seeing a command prompt in the next line.

Hope, this gives more info regarding the problem in the Box with Gowda.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Arithmatic operation issue , datatype issue

Hi, I have a shell scripting. This will take 7 digit number in each line and add 7 digit number with next subsequent lines ( normal addition ). Eg: 0000001 0000220 0001235 0000022 0000023 ........... ......... ........ Like this i am having around 1500000 records. After adding... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: thambi
23 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

hi all please help me in this issue.

Hi all, I am very new to shell scripting.I have the requirement like one program is there, if it is running leave like that only and if it is stopped it has to be restart and once again keep watching and it is stopped we a have to restart once agian.I want a shell script for this.Please help me... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhas85
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ISSUE and ISSUE.NET files

In LINUX(CentOS, RedHat) is there a way to have the banner statement appear before the logon instead of after the logon? In UNIX and Windows the banner appears before a person actually logs on, what I'm seeing in LINUX is that it appears after the login(ftp, telnet, SSH). Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejjones
0 Replies

4. Solaris

IP issue

hi , I have a Solaris server which is part of a domain. The IP for this Solaris box is allocated dyanamically by a DHCP. Everytime the solaris box is restarted the IP gets changed. Being an admin what should i do to find the new ip of the Solaris server sitting at my location? Till now i get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BalajiUthira
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

CP Issue

I want to copy large amount of files aproximately more than 20,000 files from one file system to another file system, but it gives me error like: #cd /opt/appserver/images #cp * /opt/appserver02/public/images Argument list is too long Also above mention error appear again when i run: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: telnor
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need assistance with a file issue and a terminal issue

Hello everyone, I'm in need of some assistance. I'm currently enrolled in an introductory UNIX shell programming course and, well halfway through the semester, we are receiving our first actual assignment. I've somewhat realized now that I've fallen behind, and I'm working to get caught up, but for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MrMagoo22
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable value substitution issue with awk command issue

Hi All, I am using the below script which has awk command, but it is not returing the expected result. can some pls help me to correct the command. The below script sample.ksh should give the result if the value of last 4 digits in the variable NM matches with the variable value DAT. The... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: G.K.K
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What could be the issue ?

Hi, when i am trying below script assume that below values are taken in code #!/bin/ksh if then echo usage: aNlist.sh QMGR NAME MQREQ fi NL=`echo 'dis qmgr'|runmqsc $1|grep REPOSNL|sed 's/.*REPOSNL\(.*\).*/\1/' |cut -d'(' -f2|cut -d')' -f1` echo 'define nl('$NL_$2')... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: darling
25 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with wc -c and wc -m

Hi All, I have a small queries to get the character count i tried with wc -c and wc -m but its not returend current result For eg: wc -c wc -m echo "Name" | wc -c result: 5 but actually it should returned 4 Help me on this to ge the correct one. Thanks! ----------... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva.pitchai
4 Replies
gcore(1)						      General Commands Manual							  gcore(1)

NAME
gcore - get core images of running processes SYNOPSIS
filename] process-id... DESCRIPTION
The command creates a core image of each specified process. By default, the name of the core image file for process-id will be The process information in the core file can be obtained by using debuggers. When the command creates a core image of each specified process, the process is temporarily stopped. Further, when the creation of core image is complete, the process continues to execute. Options Creates the core file with name of the file as If multiple process-id values are specified, filename will be common for all the core image files. See the section. Operands process-id The process ID for which a core image file will be created. RETURN VALUE
Upon completion, exits with one of the following values: A core file was successfully created. An error condition was encountered. In such a case, the creation of a core file is not guaranteed. The error conditions could be because of o A nonexistent or incorrect process ID was specified. o An invalid option was specified. o The current working directory of the process or directory from which was invoked had no write permissions. o The current working directory of the process was not accessible. o The file system is full. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Dump the core image of process 1030 in the file "core.1030". Example 2 Dump the core image of the process 1030 in the file "test.1030". Example 3 Dump the core image of the processes 1030, 1031, 1032, and 1033 in the files "core.1030", "core.1031", "core.1032", "core.1033". Example 4 Dump the core image of the processes 1030, 1031, 1032, and 1033 in the files FILES
Core image file for process-id. (Both where is invoked and the current working directory of the process.) AUTHOR
was developed by Chris Bertin (HP). SEE ALSO
adb(1), gdb(1), kill(1), ttrace(2), a.out(4), core(4). gcore(1)