Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD ipfw slow ssh and ftp connections Post 71705 by locustfurnace on Friday 13th of May 2005 12:28:25 PM
Old 05-13-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perderabo
You can do stuff like setting up a caching-only name server on the target box. .
I use DNSmasq on my FreeBSD box and on all my Slackware-Linux machines, its a simple DNS cache to setup.
It should be available in the ports collection.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris 9 slow login thru ssh & ftp

When I ssh to my box, an Ultra 5. I get prompted for password immediately. I enter it and have to wait sometimes a full minute for it to prompt for a password. The same thing happens when i try to ftp to the box, it will say connected, but it takes forever to prompt for password, and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SSH and FTP connect slow

Hi again guys, Earlier today, just all of a sudden, all SSH and FTP connections to my internal Linux box just slowed down to a crawl. After the connection/authentication though, everything was back to normal speed. Until you have to connect again. A box reboot didnt work either. Now, from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aeros
1 Replies

3. AIX

Show number of SSH connections

I'm investigating an issue where rsync's to an AIX server will sometimes fail. I suspect the problem might be due to the number of simultaneous SSH connections being made to the host dropping the rsync attempts. I'd like to view the number of open ssh connections. The who command will list logged... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: indiana_tas
1 Replies

4. Ubuntu

SSH droping connections over a VPN

Hello friends, I'm connection to an external network using a VPN configured over an Ubuntu. The problem is that whenever I get connected to a remote computer using my VPN as router, after a while, sometimes short, sometimes long, sometimes immediately, the connection gets lost and I've to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lzcool
1 Replies

5. Programming

FTP - reusing data connections

Hi there, This may be a stupid question, but... Is it possible to use one data connection channel initiated on a FTP server for sending multiple commands (LIST, NLST, MLSD)? Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Yezu
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disallow new ssh connections for a while ?

Hello, What is the best way to disallow new ssh connections for the duration of my session ? I want to evade read/write collisions. Things work like that - one session put files on server, other copies these files and then deletes them. So in order to evade collision: - I check if there are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vilius
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to know if there are ftp connections in my machine

Hello, I need to know if there are ftp connections in my machine. How can I find out that?any commands to use? PS: i know how to find which users are on my machine now by using #who -r regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
2 Replies

8. AIX

How to list the current ftp connections?

Hello, I need to know How to list the ""current"" ftp connections? the machine is AIX 6.1 Regards Ahmed Amer Cairo,Egypt (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help, SSH /ipfw block script

Hello, This is an SSH Block hammer script using ipfw, that I have modified for my own use. It is for a freenas 7.2 box which is FreeBSD based. The script works, but if there is more then one hammer attack per day, my issue is the script reads the first five instances of refused or invalid... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dpreviti
2 Replies
NG_IPFW(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						NG_IPFW(4)

NAME
ng_ipfw -- interface between netgraph and IP firewall SYNOPSIS
#include <netinet/ip_var.h> #include <netgraph/ng_ipfw.h> DESCRIPTION
The ipfw node implements interface between ipfw(4) and netgraph(4) subsystems. HOOKS
The ipfw node supports an arbitrary number of hooks, which must be named using only numeric characters. OPERATION
Once the ng_ipfw module is loaded into the kernel, a single node named ipfw is automatically created. No more ipfw nodes can be created. Once destroyed, the only way to recreate the node is to reload the ng_ipfw module. Packets can be injected into netgraph(4) using either the netgraph or ngtee commands of the ipfw(8) utility. These commands require a numeric cookie to be supplied as an argument. Packets are sent out of the hook whose name equals the cookie value. If no hook matches, packets are discarded. Packets injected via the netgraph command are tagged with struct ipfw_rule_ref. This tag contains information that helps the packet to re-enter ipfw(4) processing, should the packet come back from netgraph(4) to ipfw(4). Packets received by a node from netgraph(4) subsystem must be tagged with struct ipfw_rule_ref tag. Packets re-enter IP firewall processing at the next rule. If no tag is supplied, packets are discarded. CONTROL MESSAGES
This node type supports only the generic control messages. SHUTDOWN
This node shuts down upon receipt of a NGM_SHUTDOWN control message. Do not do this, since the new ipfw node can only be created by reload- ing the ng_ipfw module. SEE ALSO
ipfw(4), netgraph(4), ipfw(8), mbuf_tags(9) HISTORY
The ipfw node type was implemented in FreeBSD 6.0. AUTHORS
The ipfw node was written by Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
March 2, 2010 BSD