Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File descriptor constant
Top Forums Programming File descriptor constant Post 71663 by Perderabo on Friday 13th of May 2005 08:20:17 AM
Old 05-13-2005
That's not the way it works. It is, potentially, per process. You can call getrlimit to obtain the value.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file activity (open/closed) file descriptor info using KORN shell scripting

I am trying to find a way to check the current status of a file. Such as some cron job processes are dependent on the completion of others. if a file is currently being accessed / modified or simply open state I will wait until it is done being processed before attempting the next process on that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary Dunn
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Descriptor Help

What is a file descriptor in Unix?? How to find a file descriptor of a file in Unix?? Does it have anything to do with the Inode numbers?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Descriptor

Hello All, Im opening a file desciptor in perl and sending data using print CMD "$xyz". is there a limit to the length of the string that I can give to this CMD at a time. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rimser9
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Descriptor

Hi What the below path contains? /proc/<pid>/fd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from one file and updating other file with constant entries

Hi All, Thaks for the help in my last thread. I have one more question. I have two files with ldap entries in it. One file contains all the user LDAP parameter entries (26 MB) and other file contains only the user id's that have to be inactivated. Unix script has to read from the file that has... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samingla
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

file descriptor KSH

Hello, How can i use file descriptor in a script to read 2 files at the same time and extract line 200 from file 1 and line 500 from file 2. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
6 Replies

7. Programming

[Makefile]File + constant problem

Hi guys, I am writing a Makefile with some strange features. What I have is: list of files *.efi list of guids (guid is just a number) one *.efi file is supposed to be used with one guid, so efi file and guid is a pair. What I need is: list of files *.fv How to make *.fv file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chrisdot
1 Replies
GETDTABLESIZE(2)					     Linux Programmer's Manual						  GETDTABLESIZE(2)

NAME
getdtablesize - get descriptor table size SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int getdtablesize(void); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): getdtablesize(): Since glibc 2.12: _BSD_SOURCE || !(_POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 200112L || _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 600) Before glibc 2.12: _BSD_SOURCE || _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 500 || _XOPEN_SOURCE && _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
getdtablesize() returns the maximum number of files a process can have open, one more than the largest possible value for a file descrip- tor. RETURN VALUE
The current limit on the number of open files per process. ERRORS
On Linux, getdtablesize() can return any of the errors described for getrlimit(2); see NOTES below. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, 4.4BSD (the getdtablesize() function first appeared in 4.2BSD). It is not specified in POSIX.1-2001; portable applications should employ sysconf(_SC_OPEN_MAX) instead of this call. NOTES
getdtablesize() is implemented as a libc library function. The glibc version calls getrlimit(2) and returns the current RLIMIT_NOFILE limit, or OPEN_MAX when that fails. The libc4 and libc5 versions return OPEN_MAX (set to 256 since Linux 0.98.4). SEE ALSO
close(2), dup(2), getrlimit(2), open(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2010-09-20 GETDTABLESIZE(2)