Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: top command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers top command Post 71464 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 11th of May 2005 10:39:37 AM
Old 05-11-2005
right - that was the disclaimer in the 'man' pages of the top version I've got here - it might have changed in the later version of 'top'.

And how 'bout 'prstat'?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command --> top

I understand the numbers displayed in variable "load average". My question: what are the correct/ideal numbers? Sometimes, I got less than 1. Others, above 6. Also, what HW/SW should I tune in order to have the ideal numbers? Thank you ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dgromerog
1 Replies

2. SCO

HP-UX top command

Is there a command in SCO Unix that does the same as the top command in HPUX. The command displays the jobs using the most system resources. Thanks You (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: joestrosser
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

top command

Hey, Using one single line of command i am trying to show the CPU usage for 4 processors and then filter it out and write it to a text file. Everything seams ok except that i am not able to switch from having the top command show me all CPU processes seperate opposed to showing me the average of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Georgesaa
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Top command

Hey, Using one single line of command i am trying to show the CPU usage for 4 processors and then filter it out and write it to a text file. Everything seams ok except that i am not able to switch from having the top command show me all CPU processes seperate opposed to showing me the average of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Georgesaa
8 Replies

5. Solaris

top command

Hi, How to install software package top in solaris, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Top command

Hi , can some one please assist me in using top command im facing following after using top: # top -hv UX:sh (top): ERROR: top: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected # top -p UX:sh (top): ERROR: top: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NIMISH AGARWAL
3 Replies

7. AIX

Top command in AIX 4.2 (no topas, no nmon, no top)?

Is there a 'top' command equivalent in AIX 4.2 ? I already checked and I do not see the following ones anywhere: top nmon topas (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to find the Memory and CPU utilization using 'top' command

Hi all, I found like top command could be used to find the Memory and CPU utilization. But i want to know how to find the Memory and CPU utilization for a particular user using top command. Thanks in advance. Thanks, Ananthi.U (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananthi_ku
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with top command

Currently when i run top command i get the following columns . CPU TTY PID USERNAME PRI NI SIZE RES STATE TIME %WCPU %CPU COMMAND In this how to remove '%WCPU' column ? Thanks very much in advance . (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpravinraj
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Top command

Hi All, i am using the below command and once get the output and i need to keep the first batch only.in this case how to do this one. please help me on thistop -b -n 5 >top.txt Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmk
3 Replies
MALLOC_TRIM(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						    MALLOC_TRIM(3)

NAME
malloc_trim - release free memory from the top of the heap SYNOPSIS
#include <malloc.h> int malloc_trim(size_t pad); DESCRIPTION
The malloc_trim() function attempts to release free memory at the top of the heap (by calling sbrk(2) with a suitable argument). The pad argument specifies the amount of free space to leave untrimmed at the top of the heap. If this argument is 0, only the minimum amount of memory is maintained at the top of the heap (i.e., one page or less). A nonzero argument can be used to maintain some trailing space at the top of the heap in order to allow future allocations to be made without having to extend the heap with sbrk(2). RETURN VALUE
The malloc_trim() function returns 1 if memory was actually released back to the system, or 0 if it was not possible to release any memory. ERRORS
No errors are defined. ATTRIBUTES
For an explanation of the terms used in this section, see attributes(7). +--------------+---------------+---------+ |Interface | Attribute | Value | +--------------+---------------+---------+ |malloc_trim() | Thread safety | MT-Safe | +--------------+---------------+---------+ CONFORMING TO
This function is a GNU extension. NOTES
This function is automatically called by free(3) in certain circumstances; see the discussion of M_TOP_PAD and M_TRIM_THRESHOLD in mal- lopt(3). This function cannot release free memory located at places other than the top of the heap. This function releases only memory in the main arena. SEE ALSO
sbrk(2), malloc(3), mallopt(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 MALLOC_TRIM(3)