Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: linux 7.0
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers linux 7.0 Post 7123 by LivinFree on Wednesday 19th of September 2001 04:09:43 AM
Old 09-19-2001
1) Yes, if your kernel supports it, which I believe the RH7 kernel does. It goes like this:
mount -t msdos /dev/hda1 /mnt
This assumes that the filesystem is msdos (is usually is), the partition is hda1 (first partition on your first IDE disk), and /mnt is how you want to access it. One warning: BE CAREFUL. Type mtools command to see what mtools you have installed - it allows you to move / copy / manipulate DOS files correctly. Read the man page for mtools (and each one of them), an read the mount man page.

2) Dunno - more than you've got. I believe the current limit in the 2.2.x kernel (what you have, unless you upgraded it) is in the terabyte range, and max filesize is still somewhere around 2 gig per file. Swap is still limited, but 2 gig is more than you need for swap anyways.

3) OK -
Step one - search Redhat.com for information. A quick search got me this url - I'm sure there are others: http://www.redhat.com/support/resour...alup-Tips.html
Step two - read it a few times before making ANY changes
Step three - read it again. Make sure you understand it all - a mistake in the setup can make your system non-bootable.
Step four - Are you sure you're ready? Ok, then make the changes.

Have fun!

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Fedora

Which is the better platform to learn UNIX/Linux (Kali Linux Vs. Red Hat or other)?

I just started a new semester and I started my UNIX class yesterday. I've already decided to use python along with my learning process but what I really want to use with it is Kali as my UNIX/Linux platform to learn off of since I already wanted to learn Cyber Sec. anyways. I just wanted to know if... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ApacheOmega
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simple sed command not working; could be a Mac/Linux vs. PC/Linux issue

Hello, I am on a Mac and trying to clean up some monthly files with a very simple SED: sed '3,10d;/<ACROSS>/,$d' input.txt > output.txt (from the input, delete lines 3 - 10; then delete from the line containing <ACROSS> to the end of the file) then output to output.txt Even when I try... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: verbatim
2 Replies
mdel(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   mdel(1)

Name
       mdel - delete an MSDOS file

Note of warning
       This  manpage  has been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation, and may not be entirely accurate or complete.  See the
       end of this man page for details.

Description
       The mdel command is used to delete an MS-DOS file. Its syntax is:

mdel [-v] msdosfile [ msdosfiles ...  ]

Mdel deletes files on an MS-DOS file system.

Mdel asks for verification prior to removing a read-only file.

See Also
       Mtools' texinfo doc

Viewing the texi doc
       This manpage has been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation. However, this process is only  approximative,  and  some
       items, such as crossreferences, footnotes and indices are lost in this translation process.  Indeed, these items have no appropriate repre-
       sentation in the manpage format.  Moreover, not all information has been translated into the manpage version.  Thus I strongly  advise  you
       to use the original texinfo doc.  See the end of this manpage for instructions how to view the texinfo doc.

*      To generate a printable copy from the texinfo doc, run the following commands:

./configure; make dvi; dvips mtools.dvi

*      To generate a html copy,	run:

./configure; make html

A premade html can be found at `http://www.gnu.org/software/mtools/manual/mtools.html'

*      To generate an info copy (browsable using emacs' info mode), run:

./configure; make info

The  texinfo  doc looks most pretty when printed or as html.  Indeed, in the info version certain examples are difficult to read due to the
       quoting conventions used in info.

mtools-4.0.18							      09Jan13								   mdel(1)