Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Fedora - A confiusing operating system!! Post 71196 by C|[anti-trust] on Sunday 8th of May 2005 04:45:11 PM
Old 05-08-2005
it cld be hard, but thats the best way to learn.
my girlfriend just installed suse at her father's place,
since she is using FC3 and not a computer geek, i saw that she has a better understanding while she was explaingin stuffs to her parents

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Operating System

Can anyone give me info on networking features of the Unix Operating System please. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WaveZero
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operating System

Which is much more powerful as an operating system: 1. Windows 2000 2. Windows 98 3. Windows XP 4. Windows ME 5. Unix 6. Linux and why is it much more powerful than the other operating systems that i have mentioned. thanks for your info... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alecks1975
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operating system details

How to get operating system details of a Unix box. I want to know if an OS is a 32 bit Os or a 64 bit OS. uname -aX does not provide this detail. Thanks, Rahul. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
4 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Fabric Operating System

Would any of your gentlemen have come across a decent reference for the FOS in your wanderings? Brocade just seems to want to sell me classes and FAN books :/ (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eronysis
0 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Operating system LINUX

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a C program that accepts 3 parameters. Each parameter indicates the quantity of product to be produced.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paradise
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

Operating System Programming

I am new in Kernel programming....i want to know how kernel is implemented.To this i have downloaded minix 3 kernel but i do not know where to start my study of kernel programming...please tell me from where to start understanding the code and how to run kernel in windows 7 or red hat. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sajan Gupta
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Best Operating System

Hello All, I want to install Linux on my machine, so please tell me one thing which is the best to install- 1.)Red Hat 2.)Cent OS 3.)Red Hat 4.)Ubuntu 5.)Fedora except that if there is any please tell me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detect Operating System

Hi, I need a script that needs to detect the Operating System and based upon wheter it is Linux, Solaris x86, Sparc, Itanium etc it should populate "ps" command with detailed output accordingly for example: ps -xef | grep java -> Itaniumps -auxwww | greap java -> Solaris (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What's my Operating System

Can we know the operating given the IP address or DNS of the host. All I have is file://myserver/myapp (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies
HASHSTASH(3)						 libbash hashstash Library Manual					      HASHSTASH(3)

NAME
hashstash -- libbash library that implements hash data structure SYNOPSIS
hashSet <Value> <Key> <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] $retval hashGet <Key> <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] $retval hashKeys <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] hashRemove <Key> <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] hashDelete <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] DESCRIPTION
General hashstash is a collection of functions that implement basic hash data-structure in bash scripting language. The function list: hashSet Adds a value to the hash hashGet Returns a value from the hash hashKeys Returns a list of keys of the hash hashRemove Removes a key from the hash hashDelete Deletes a hash Detailed interface description follows. FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
hashSet <Value> <Key> <Hashname> [SubHashName [...]] Adds a value to the hash. Parameters: <Value> The value to set in HashName[Key]. <Key> The key for the value Value. <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] A string that contains the name of the hash. If the hash is a sub hash of another hash, the "father hash" name MUST BE WRITTEN FIRST, followed by the sub-hash name. Value will be the value of the key Key in the hash HashName. For example if you have (or want to define) hash C, which is subhash of hash B, which is subhash of hash A, and C has a key named ckey1 with value cval1, then you should use: hashSet cval1 ckey1 A B C $retval hashGet <Key> <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] Returns the value of Key in HashName to the $retval variable. Parameters: <Key> The key that hold the value we wish to get. <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] A string that contains the name of the hash. If the hash is a sub hash of another hash, the "father hash" name MUST BE WRITTEN FIRST, followed by the sub-hash name. Return Value: The value of the key Key in the hash HashName. The value is returned in the variable $retval. $retval hashKeys <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] Returns a list of keys of the hash HashName in the variable $retval. Parameters: <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] A string that contains the name of the hash. If the hash is a sub hash of another hash, the "father hash" name MUST BE WRITTEN FIRST, followed by the sub-hash name. Return Value: The value of the key Key in the hash HashName. The value is returned in the variable $retval. hashRemove <Key> <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] Removes the key Key from the hash HashName. <Key> The key we wish to remove from HashName. <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] A string that contains the name of the hash. If the hash is a sub hash of another hash, the "father hash" name MUST BE WRITTEN FIRST, followed by the sub-hash name. This function should also be used to remove a sub-hash from its "father hash". In that case, the key will be the name of the sub-hash. hashDelete <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] Deletes the hash HashName [SubHashName [...]]. Parameters: <HashName> [SubHashName [...]] A string that contains the name of the hash. If the hash is a sub hash of another hash, the "father hash" name MUST BE WRITTEN FIRST, followed by the sub-hash name. If this function is used on a sub-hash, a key with the name of the sub-hash will remain in its "father hash" and will hold a NULL value. BUGS
A hash name can only contain characters that are valid as part of bash variable names (i.e. a-zA-Z0-9_). The same applies for hash keys. As for now, there is no way of knowing if a key represents a value or a sub-hash. If a sub-hash will be used as a key, the returned value will be its keys list. EXAMPLES
Define hash table hashA with key Akey1 with value Aval1 use: % hashSet Aval1 Akey1 Ahash Now: % hashGet Akey1 Ahash % echo $retval Aval1 % hashKeys Ahash % echo $retval Akey1 % HISTORY
The idea to write hashstash library appeared when we've discovered the full power of the bash eval function. As of the name hashstash, it has two meanings. The first, it means 'stash' of hash functions. The second is, that hashstash contains sub- hashes inside, so it looks like stash of packed information. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux