Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting printing an empty line in a file (perl) Post 71150 by kfad on Friday 6th of May 2005 11:49:59 PM
Old 05-07-2005
thanks, that works, but it doen't when i open a file this way

open(FHConfi,"+< $CONFDIR/minstalador.conf");

(+< means:: +>$file&path Read, Write, Create, overwrites rather then appending.)

How could i write an empty line then??

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check for empty file in Perl?

Hi, May I know how to check for empty file in Perl. Iam missing something, somewhere. #!/usr/bin/perl my $open_dir = '/path/'; my $file; my $ma = "abc_.*.\.psv\$" opendir(VAR, $open_dir) or die "Can't open $oepn_dir: $!\n"; while( defined ($file = readdir VAR) ) #read all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl searching and printing multiple target in the same line

Hello, I'm trying to create a program in perl called myfind.pl; To use the program: (at the command line)$ program.pl keyword filename note: the keyword is any word or regular expression and it should display the result just like when you 'cat' the file name but with the keyword in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Horizon666
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help required on printing the line if third field is not a empty space

Hi Experts, I want to print the lines whose third field in non-empty/blank space. i.e. INPUT FILE/B] dcdccghjrry0yd cont dcdccttrk820529 cont rdekedfsSCr dcdccttrdky2d0y cont rdekedfsSC2 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krao
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

howto add line as a first line into a non empty file

Hi Trying to do like this : echo "$variable1\n $(cat file.txt)" but it only adds one time. When I run this cmd again with different variable it only replaces line of variable1. How to add constantly line into first line in file ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl, searching multiple files and printing returned line to new file

I am trying to find a way to utilise the full potential of my cpu cores and memory on my windows machine. Now, I am quite familiar with grep, however, running a Unix based OS is not an option right now. Unfortunately, the 32 bit grep for windows that I am running, I cannot run multiple... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Moloch
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in Perl Script for printing next line

I got multiple of documents in which i have to extract a line coming after a ID..The scenario is Customer ID: none VT : 002/89 Customer ID: Yes VT: 001/89 Customer ID: none VT: 006/85 Customer ID: Yes VT: 003/56 I have to extract the id which is coming after YES..The output... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkrishna89
7 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

[solved]Perl: Printing line numbers to matched strings and hashes.

Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL, USA, Dr. Whalley, COP4342 Unix Tools. This program takes much of my previous assignment but adds the functionality of printing the concatenated line numbers found within the input. Sample input from <> operator: Hello World This is hello a sample... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: D2K
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl , uploading empty file.

Hi The below script used to work fine. Suddenly it's uploading empty file. I am very new to perl. Please help me to find out the problem. #!/usr/bin/perl #script: upload.pl use CGI qw/:standard/; print header, start_html('File upload'); print_form(); print_results() if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing string from last field of the nth line of file to start (or end) of each line (awk I think)

My file (the output of an experiment) starts off looking like this, _____________________________________________________________ Subjects incorporated to date: 001 Data file started on machine PKSHS260-05CP ********************************************************************** Subject 1,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: samonl
9 Replies
Usage(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						  Usage(3)

NAME
pod2usage - print a usage message using a script's embedded pod documentation SYNOPSIS
use PDL::Pod::Usage; pod2usage(); pod2usage(2); pod2usage({EXIT => 2}); pod2usage({EXIT => 2, VERBOSE => 0}); pod2usage(EXIT => 1, VERBOSE => 2, OUTPUT=*STDERR); pod2usage(VERBOSE => 2); DESCRIPTION
pod2usage will print a usage message for the invoking script (using its embedded pod documentation) and then exit the script with the specified exit value. It takes a single argument which is either a numeric value corresponding to the desired exit status (which defaults to 2), or a reference to a hash. If more than one argument is given then the entire argument list is assumed to be a hash. If a hash is supplied it should contain elements with one or more of the following keys: "EXIT" The desired exit status to pass to the exit() function. "VERBOSE" The desired level of "verboseness" to use when printing the usage message. If the corresponding value is 0, then only the "SYNOPSIS" section of the pod documentation is printed. If the corresponding value is 1, then the "SYNOPSIS" section, along with any section entitled "OPTIONS", "ARGUMENTS", or "OPTIONS AND ARGUMENTS" is printed. If the corresponding value is 2 or more then the entire manpage is printed. "OUTPUT" A reference to a filehandle, or the pathname of a file to which the usage message should be written. The default is "*STDERR" unless the exit value is less than 2 (in which case the default is "*STDOUT"). "INPUT" A reference to a filehandle, or the pathname of a file from which the invoking script's pod documentation should be read. It defaults to the file indicated by $0 ($PROGRAM_NAME for "use English;" users). If neither the exit value nor the verbose level is specified, then the default is to use an exit value of 2 with a verbose level of 0. If an exit value is specified but the verbose level is not, then the verbose level will default to 1 if the exit value is less than 2 and will default to 0 otherwise. If a verbose level is specified but an exit value is not, then the exit value will default to 2 if the verbose level is 0 and will default to 1 otherwise. EXAMPLE
Most scripts should print some type of usage message to STDERR when a command line syntax error is detected. They should also provide an option (usually "-h" or "-help") to print a (possibly more verbose) usage message to STDOUT. Some scripts may even wish to go so far as to provide a means of printing their complete documentation to STDOUT (perhaps by allowing a "-man" option). The following example uses pod2usage in combination with Getopt::Long to do all of these things: use PDL::Pod::Usage; use Getopt::Long; GetOptions("help", "man") || pod2usage(2); pod2usage(1) if ($opt_help); pod2usage(VERBOSE => 2) if ($opt_man); CAVEATS
By default, pod2usage() will use $0 as the path to the pod input file. Unfortunately, not all systems on which Perl runs will set $0 properly (although if $0 isn't found, pod2usage() will search $ENV{PATH}). If this is the case for your system, you may need to explicitly specify the path to the pod docs for the invoking script using something similar to the following: o "pod2usage(EXIT => 2, INPUT => "/path/to/your/pod/docs");" AUTHOR
Brad Appleton <Brad_Appleton-GBDA001@email.mot.com> Based on code for Pod::Text::pod2text() written by Tom Christiansen <tchrist@mox.perl.com> perl v5.12.1 2009-10-17 Usage(3)