Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ? View A Backup Tape
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ? View A Backup Tape Post 7109 by LivinFree on Wednesday 19th of September 2001 01:17:23 AM
Old 09-19-2001
First off, don't post in all caps. It's rude.

Second, tar has nothing to do with ksh or sh. It's a seperate application.

Third, if you are getting that error message, it sounds like you process table is full - meaning you can not run any more programs, including tar.

If you are able to enter commands again (perhaps after a reboot, or killing off a LOT of processes, the command would be:
tar tf file.tar

If it has a lot of files in it, you may need to pipe it through more, like this:
tar tf file.tar | more

Hope that helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

View tape Info?

Does anyone know the UNIX command to view and/or erase data that is on an 8-track tape? Thanks for your help! Linda (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: lfulton
13 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tape Backup

I have a script which runs overnight to backup a database into a tar file. I then gzip the file and send it off to a tape device. The command I'm using for the tape backup is tar cvf /dev/rmt/0n /var/dbbackup/${FILE}.gz I thought the n meant no rewind so the next file is copied to tape... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattd
4 Replies

3. Solaris

backup using tape

hello everybody... i need some help ... so... i need to do some backups from one solaris system and i dont know whitch is the best solution....to use tar or ufsdump...? ...and .... how can i restore files from tape if on the tape i have 2 sessions....how can i access second session....? enough... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nich007
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting DLT tape and to backup file to tape

Hi there: I'm new here Can anyone help me: I have DS15 Alpha server : Unix 5.1B Now i need to connect a DLVT VS80 1U Rackmount Tape Drive unit. What is the exact comman to mount the DLTape IV?? How do i make backuo @ copy file to the tape? Thanx to all (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayzeayem
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check backup file size on backup tape

Hi, I performed backup on tape and I want to append more files to my previous backup on the same backup tape. But before I do that I need to know the backup file size of the first backup I performed so that I know the available size on the backup tape. Can someone help me what command I will use... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
0 Replies

6. SCO

Backup to SCSI Tape Backup aborts

I am trying to make a full backup of my system using the cpio command. The Tape Unit is a SCSI DDS. The process started fine but after about 30 minutes, it just stopped and showed the following message: 1755 Signal 31 - Core dumped Any idea of what is causing this and how to fix it? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zionpc
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to view and recognize a backup drive

on Darwin terminal how do i do it? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleansing_flame
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to view all files on DAT tape

I'm using tar and so far so good, but how can I view ALL files without having to fast forward and rewind the tape? Let's say I append 100 files onto the tape. Having to fast forward 100 times until I find the file I want is kinda tedious. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdotsen
3 Replies

9. AIX

View tape backup files on RHEL5 Operating System

I have an AIX server with a tape Library residing on it. I intend to restore the data backed up to the tape on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. First , i would want to view the contents of the tape on RHEL 5(x86) but seems to be giving an input output error. I observed that if i backup to tape on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: optimum
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

View tape backup files on RHEL5 Operating System

I have an AIX server with a tape Library residing on it. I intend to restore the data backed up to the tape on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. First , i would want to view the contents of the tape on RHEL 5(x86) but seems to be giving an input output error. I observed that if i backup to tape on... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: optimum
20 Replies
virt-tar-in(1)						      Virtualization Support						    virt-tar-in(1)

NAME
virt-tar-in - Unpack a tarball into a virtual machine disk image. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-in -a disk.img data.tar /destination virt-tar-in -d domain data.tar /destination zcat data.tar.gz | virt-tar-in -d domain - /destination WARNING
Using "virt-tar-in" on live virtual machines can be dangerous, potentially causing disk corruption. The virtual machine must be shut down before you use this command. DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-in" unpacks an uncompressed tarball into a virtual machine disk image or named libvirt domain. The first parameter is the tar file. Use "-" to read the tar file from standard input. The second parameter is the absolute target directory to unpack into. EXAMPLES
Upload a home directory to a guest: virt-tar-in -d MyGuest homes.tar /home JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-in" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-make-fs(1), virt-tar-out(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-tar-in(1)