Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Splitting a large log file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Splitting a large log file Post 7106 by simmonet on Tuesday 18th of September 2001 10:34:18 PM
Old 09-18-2001
Split woes

I'm going to give it all a go and let you know how it works out.

Can anyone give me one last pointer as to how to split the file by date?

Thanks all!!

Grant Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting large file into small files

Hi, I need to split a large file into small files based on a string. At different palces in the large I have the string ^Job. I need to split the file into different files starting from ^Job to the last character before the next ^Job. Also all the small files should be automatically named.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dncs
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

splitting the large file into smaller files

hi all im new to this forum..excuse me if anythng wrong. I have a file containing 600 MB data in that. when i do parse the data in perl program im getting out of memory error. so iam planning to split the file into smaller files and process one by one. can any one tell me what is the code... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vsnreddy
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with splitting a large text file into smaller ones

Hi Everyone, I am using a centos 5.2 server as an sflow log collector on my network. Currently I am using inmons free sflowtool to collect the packets sent by my switches. I have a bash script running on an infinate loop to stop and start the log collection at set intervals - currently one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lord_butler
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a large file, split command will not do.

Hello Everyone, I have a large file that needs to be split into many seperate files, however the text in between the blank lines need to be intact. The file looks like SomeText SomeText SomeText SomeOtherText SomeOtherText .... Since the number of lines of text are different for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwillis0720
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting a large text file into paragraphs

Hello all, newbie here. I've searched the forum and found many "how to split a text file" topics but none that are what I'm looking for. I have a large text file (~15 MB) in size. It contains a variable number of "paragraphs" (for lack of a better word) that are each of variable length. A... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lupin..the..3rd
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting large file into multiple files in unix based on pattern

I need to write a shell script for below scenario My input file has data in format: qwerty0101TWE 12345 01022005 01022005 datainala alanfernanded 26 qwerty0101mXZ 12349 01022005 06022008 datainalb johngalilo 28 qwerty0101TWE 12342 01022005 07022009 datainalc hitalbert 43 qwerty0101CFG 12345... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy12
19 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with splitting large file based on pattern

Hi Experts, I have to split huge file based on the pattern to create smaller files. The pattern which is expected in the file is: Master..... First... second.... second... third.. third... Master... First.. second... third... Master... First... second.. second.. second..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saisanthi
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting large file and renaming based on field

I am trying to update an older program on a small cluster. It uses individual files to send jobs to each node. However the newer database comes as one large file, containing over 10,000 records. I therefore need to split this file. It looks like this: HMMER3/b NAME 1-cysPrx_C ACC ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fozrun
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Splitting a Large XML file based on size AND tags

Hi All, This is my first post here. Hoping to share and gain knowledge from this great forum !!!! I've scanned this forum before posting my problem here, but I'm afraid I couldn't find any thread that addresses this exact problem. I'm trying to split a large XML file (with multiple tag... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aviktheory11
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a large file as per date

Hi, I need a suggestion for an issue in UNIX file. I have a log file in my system where data is appending everyday and as a consequence the file is increasing heavily everyday. Now I need a logic to split this file daily basis and remove the files more than 15 days. Request you to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaski2012
3 Replies
SPLIT(3)								 1								  SPLIT(3)

split - Split string into array by regular expression

SYNOPSIS
array split (string $pattern, string $string, [int $limit = -1]) DESCRIPTION
Splits a $string into array by regular expression. Warning This function has been DEPRECATED as of PHP 5.3.0. Relying on this feature is highly discouraged. PARAMETERS
o $pattern - Case sensitive regular expression. If you want to split on any of the characters which are considered special by regular expressions, you'll need to escape them first. If you think split(3) (or any other regex function, for that matter) is doing some- thing weird, please read the file regex.7, included in the regex/ subdirectory of the PHP distribution. It's in manpage format, so you'll want to do something along the lines of man /usr/local/src/regex/regex.7 in order to read it. o $string - The input string. o $limit - If $limit is set, the returned array will contain a maximum of $limit elements with the last element containing the whole rest of $string. RETURN VALUES
Returns an array of strings, each of which is a substring of $string formed by splitting it on boundaries formed by the case-sensitive regular expression $pattern. If there are n occurrences of $pattern, the returned array will contain n+1 items. For example, if there is no occurrence of $pattern, an array with only one element will be returned. Of course, this is also true if $string is empty. If an error occurs, split(3) returns FALSE. EXAMPLES
Example #1 split(3) example To split off the first four fields from a line from /etc/passwd: <?php list($user, $pass, $uid, $gid, $extra) = split(":", $passwd_line, 5); ?> Example #2 split(3) example To parse a date which may be delimited with slashes, dots, or hyphens: <?php // Delimiters may be slash, dot, or hyphen $date = "04/30/1973"; list($month, $day, $year) = split('[/.-]', $date); echo "Month: $month; Day: $day; Year: $year<br /> "; ?> NOTES
Note As of PHP 5.3.0, the regex extension is deprecated in favor of the PCRE extension. Calling this function will issue an E_DEPRECATED notice. See the list of differences for help on converting to PCRE. Tip split(3) is deprecated as of PHP 5.3.0. preg_split(3) is the suggested alternative to this function. If you don't require the power of regular expressions, it is faster to use explode(3), which doesn't incur the overhead of the regular expression engine. Tip For users looking for a way to emulate Perl's @chars = split('', $str) behaviour, please see the examples for preg_split(3) or str_split(3). SEE ALSO
preg_split(3), spliti(3), str_split(3), explode(3), implode(3), chunk_split(3), wordwrap(3). PHP Documentation Group SPLIT(3)