Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: \n char in C
Top Forums Programming \n char in C Post 70954 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 5th of May 2005 06:15:41 PM
Old 05-05-2005
You have to set
Code:
c='\n';

I would consider using a higher level call like fprintf() which is easier to use, especially since you seem to be writing single characters to the output stream.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

char *p and char p[].

Can anyone please explain me the difference between char *p and char p ? Thanks in Advance, Arun. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunviswanath
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace any char with newline char.

Hi, How to replace any character in a file with a newline character using sed .. Ex: To replace ',' with newline Input: abcd,efgh,ijkl,mnop Output: abcd efgh ijkl mnop Thnx in advance. Regards, Sasidhar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mightysam
5 Replies

3. Programming

Adding a single char to a char pointer.

Hello, I'm trying to write a method which will return the extension of a file given the file's name, e.g. test.txt should return txt. I'm using C so am limited to char pointers and arrays. Here is the code as I have it: char* getext(char *file) { char *extension; int i, j;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallak7
5 Replies

4. Programming

concat const char * with char *

hello everybody! i have aproblem! i dont know how to concatenate const char* with char const char *buffer; char *b; sprintf(b,"result.txt"); strcat(buffer,b); thanx in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicos
4 Replies

5. Programming

Char initialization

Hi All, char a="\0"; a) a contains \0 a contains garbage value b) a contains \ a contains 0 a contains garbage value Pls, let me know correct result is a or b. I guess a. Thanks, Naga:cool: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wild char * in if

if ; then => is it correct? i need to check 10 files size and do the same action. The file name is same but extension of the files are different. how do i deal with it? Please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nidhink
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how first char in odd line and second char in even line

Hi I m having ifconfig -a o/p like sbanlab1:ksh# ifconfig -a | egrep "flags|inet" | awk -F' ' '{print $1,$2}' lo0: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> inet 127.0.0.1 lo0:1: flags=2001000849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST,IPv4,VIRTUAL> inet 127.0.0.1 bge0:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tarunn.dubeyy
1 Replies

8. Programming

error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’

Compiling xpp (The X Printing Panel) on SL6 (RHEL6 essentially): xpp.cxx: In constructor ‘printFiles::printFiles(int, char**, int&)’: xpp.cxx:200: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’ The same error with all c++ constructors - gcc 4.4.4. If anyone can throw any light on... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSO
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting a Char

how to count how many R in the below file. Rttt 1Rxxx GG 2R 3R 4R 5R 6R 7R R0 R1 R2 R3 R4 R5 R6 R7 RR (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: theshashi
10 Replies

10. Programming

Invalid conversion from char* to char

Pointers are seeming to get the best of me and I get that error in my program. Here is the code #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> #define REPORTHEADING1 " Employee Pay Hours Gross Tax Net\n" #define REPORTHEADING2 " Name ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Plum
1 Replies
flockfile(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					     flockfile(3C)

NAME
flockfile, funlockfile, ftrylockfile - acquire and release stream lock SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> void flockfile(FILE *stream); void funlockfile(FILE *stream); int ftrylockfile(FILE *stream); DESCRIPTION
The flockfile() function acquires an internal lock of a stream stream. If the lock is already acquired by another thread, the thread call- ing flockfile() is suspended until it can acquire the lock. In the case that the stream lock is available, flockfile() not only acquires the lock, but keeps track of the number of times it is being called by the current thread. This implies that the stream lock can be acquired more than once by the same thread. The funlockfile() function releases the lock being held by the current thread. In the case of recursive locking, this function must be called the same number of times flockfile() was called. After the number of funlockfile() calls is equal to the number of flockfile() calls, the stream lock is available for other threads to acquire. The ftrylockfile() function acquires an internal lock of a stream stream, only if that object is available. In essence ftrylockfile() is a non-blocking version of flockfile(). RETURN VALUES
The ftrylockfile() function returns 0 on success and non-zero to indicate a lock cannot be acquired. EXAMPLES
Example 1 A sample program of flockfile(). The following example prints everything out together, blocking other threads that might want to write to the same file between calls to fprintf(3C): FILE iop; flockfile(iop); fprintf(iop, "hello "); fprintf(iop, "world); fputc(iop, 'a'); funlockfile(iop); An unlocked interface is available in case performance is an issue. For example: flockfile(iop); while (!feof(iop)) { *c++ = getc_unlocked(iop); } funlockfile(iop); ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Intro(3), __fsetlocking(3C), ferror(3C), fprintf(3C), getc(3C), putc(3C), stdio(3C), ungetc(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) NOTES
The interfaces on this page are as specified in IEEE Std 1003.1:2001. See standards(5). SunOS 5.11 10 Sep 2003 flockfile(3C)