Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users chmod (permissions) * not working on remote server Post 70944 by jingi1234 on Thursday 5th of May 2005 03:19:25 PM
Old 05-05-2005
Well it depends on the system that you are connected to:

if you are connected to mainframe and you want to do chmod --> it will say not valid

and even if u are connected to Unix server they can block users typing anything in the ftp shell. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

directory permissions and CHMOD

I am working on a new UNIX box that has been delivered to us, and noticed that the /home directory has 555 permissions on it (dr-xr-xr-x). Any attempt to create write permissions fails on this directory (such as chmod 777), responding only with a message; chmod: WARNING: can't change home ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncarmstrong
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod permissions

Is there any way that you can set it up so when you create a file it has the chmod permissions of u+x? I am not a root user on the system (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: himurak
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls and chmod numeric permissions

Hello, When I do a "ls -l" I can see my directories have drwxr-xr-xr. I am more used to the chmod numerical syntax like 755. Is there an easy way to list out the numerical permissions rather than rwx etc. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rondebbs
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix chmod permissions

Hello all, Trying to do the following. 1. Run Windows installer from a unix server. 2. Let user run the shortcut but not allow access to the folder where the exe itself is running. What I have done so far: 1. Copied the application to the server and placed in a folder called "data".... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whiterabbit
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote Access to FTP server not working

I am trying to setup an FTP server in a Fedora Core 3 machine through the command line interface and not KDE. I think I am successful in getting the ftp service running, as when I do an ftp 127.0.0.1, I am able to log in using any one the user accounts I have created on this machine and browse... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cooljumbo2k8
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod of remote file

I would like to chmod the file which I am pulling from remote server onto my server. I am using the following script: sftp <server detail> get abc xyz chmod 666 xyz bye Though I could fetch the file successfully but I am not able to change the permission of xyz file on my server. umask... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kdtrica
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod remote server file

I would like to chmod the file which I am pulling from remote server onto my server. I am using the following script: sftp <server detail> get abc xyz chmod 666 xyz bye Though I could fetch the file successfully but I am not able to change the permission of xyz file on my server. Pls... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kdtrica
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod on a remote server -solved

hello, I am trying to copy a file over to a set of aix servers and then set the file permissions, owner, group etc and all of this logged in as sudo. I was able to copy the file over using rcp - i know its not secure or not best way to copy - but unable to execute chmod on the remote server as... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: in5ane
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP using script not working (for transfering file from a remote unix server to windows PC.)

hi, Im using the following code for FTP #!/usr/bin/ksh ftp -v -n "10.29.45.11" << cmd user "mahesva" "mahesva123" get rtl.tar quit cmd Below is the log when i run the above code ********************************** Connected to 10.29.45.11. 220 (vsFTPd 2.0.1) 530 Please login with USER... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: dll_fpga
20 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Access permissions chmod 606

Hi All I am running Ubuntu linux flavour. I need provide multiple users belonging to the same group access to a dir where they can write files but are not supposed to remove or rename files. users outside the group should be able to read and write to the dir. i have set the permission of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Simza
7 Replies
MOUNT_FTP(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      MOUNT_FTP(8)

NAME
mount_ftp -- mount a FTP filesystem SYNOPSIS
mount_ftp [-i] [-o options] ftp://host[:port][/path] node DESCRIPTION
The mount_ftp command mounts a FTP-enabled server directory at ftp://host[:port][/path] at the mount point indicated by node. If the -i option is not used, all the required information to establish a login to the remote server must be available in the ftp URL, including username & password if needed. The user ID for all files and folders is set to the user's real user ID. The group ID for all files and directories is set to unknown, and the permissions default to read and execute for user, group and other. The options are: -i Interactive mode, you are prompted for the username and password if you did not supply one in the url. -o Options passed to mount(2) are specified with the -o option followed by a comma separated string of options. See the mount(8) man page for possible options and their meanings. The rdonly option will be set even if it was not specified because mount_ftp does not allow files to be opened with write access on servers. ftp://host[:port][/path] The FTP-enabled server directory to mount as a volume. If port is not specified, then port 21 is used. If path is not specified, then the path "/" is used. node Path to mount point. EXAMPLES
The following example illustrates how to mount the FTP-enabled server directory ftp.apple.com/ at the mount point /Volumes/mntpnt/ mount_ftp ftp://ftp.apple.com/ /Volumes/mntpnt/ SEE ALSO
mount(2), unmount(2), mount(8) HISTORY
The mount_ftp command first appeared Mac OS X Version 10.2. RETURN VALUES
0 mount_ftp successfully mounted the server directory. [ENOENT] The server directory could not be mounted by mount_ftp because the node path is invalid. [ENODEV] The server directory could not be mounted by mount_ftp because it is not FTP-enabled or because it does not exist, or because node does not have proper access. [ECANCELED] The server directory could not be mounted by mount_ftp because the user did not provide proper authentication credentials. BUGS
mount_ftp only supports mounting read-only. Mac OS X June 6, 2003 Mac OS X