Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to use 2 Proccess communicating with each other using 2 pipe Post 70937 by Kelam_Magnus on Thursday 5th of May 2005 01:48:15 PM
Old 05-05-2005
seems like homework to me. If not forgive me, but How are you trying to apply this?

Give us something to work with.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Communicating with Serial Port

I am using system running on red hat linux 4. I had connected health measuring machine to the serial port and configured it stty -F /dev/ttyS0 9600 -parenb cs8 -cstopb this machine requires a command to be passed to it for giving output. I am unable to pass command hexa format(0x68) to the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: netsavant
4 Replies

2. Solaris

cron job starts new cron proccess

I run cron in solaris 10 zone. One cron job which syncing files to nfs mounted on container, creates after finishing another cron proccess(/usr/sbin/cron), and after 100 existing cron proccesses next cron job will not start. It's too weird for me, I'm not able to solve this problem. Theoretically... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ron76
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Communicating Via Terminals With Other Computers

Hello, I would like to know if it is possible to communicate between two terminals on seperate computers for free - e.g. not using proprietary software or using the built in UNIX terminals on operating systems of the UNIX flavor. Thanks, photray94 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: photray94
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Proccess time

Hi everybody I need to find out the execution time of a proccess. how can I find it out? Note that the proccess execution are snap. Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaxon
4 Replies

5. AIX

how to know my serial port is communicating and running fine

i want to know that my serial port ( pci slot with 2 port ) is working fine and communicating is there any way to know the serialport is working and communicating? please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchangba
3 Replies

6. Programming

ERROR while communicating with gmail

$./a.out smtp.gmail.com 25 220 mx.google.com ESMTP 9sm2923369yxf.23 250 mx.google.com at your service 220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS after handshake Common Name: smtp.gmail.com after get cert dn -----BEGIN SSL SESSION PARAMETERS-----... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: darshan.ghumare
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find out list of all proccess which are running on unix servers from last two days.

Hi All, I have a requirment, i need to get the list of all the process which are running from last two days on my unix server and also to put this list into an another file. i am giving you a sample example : $ ps -ef UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akshu.agni
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Shell Script in the cron, background proccess

Hi, i was looking for an answer for some trouble im having runing a script in the cron, thing is, that when i run it manually it works just fine. But when cron runs it, it just doenst work. I saw a reply on a similar subject, suggesting that the . .profile worked for you, but im kind of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blacksteel1988
0 Replies

9. Programming

Child threads communicating with main thread via pipes

I have a simple client/server program I am using for learning purposes. I have it setup so that after server is setup and listening it than goes into a loop where it accepts incoming client connections. After each connection, the client socket is than passed to a thread routine where it can be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Majortom71
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Communicating with ethernet to serial LED sign - is this feasible?

I have a london-electronics LED sign I picked up on eBay which I would like to display custom messages on programmatically. It is working ok. Opening it up, it has an ethernet to serial connection currently plugged in and a serial connection currently unplugged internally (same connectors).... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: windswept321
9 Replies
FORK(2) 							System Calls Manual							   FORK(2)

NAME
fork - spawn new process SYNOPSIS
fork( ) DESCRIPTION
Fork is the only way new processes are created. The new process's core image is a copy of that of the caller of fork. The only distinc- tion is the fact that the value returned in the old (parent) process contains the process ID of the new (child) process, while the value returned in the child is 0. Process ID's range from 1 to 30,000. This process ID is used by wait(2). Files open before the fork are shared, and have a common read-write pointer. In particular, this is the way that standard input and output files are passed and also how pipes are set up. SEE ALSO
wait(2), exec(2) DIAGNOSTICS
Returns -1 and fails to create a process if: there is inadequate swap space, the user is not super-user and has too many processes, or the system's process table is full. Only the super-user can take the last process-table slot. ASSEMBLER
(fork = 2.) sys fork (new process return) (old process return, new process ID in r0) The return locations in the old and new process differ by one word. The C-bit is set in the old process if a new process could not be cre- ated. FORK(2)