Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Service + vsftpd
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Service + vsftpd Post 70905 by vino on Thursday 5th of May 2005 06:38:35 AM
Old 05-05-2005
If you do a whereis service, the reply comes

service: /sbin/service

Now you can go about the service command 2 ways:
1. At the prompt you can give
/sbin/service httpd start
for starting the httpd service.

else

2. /sbin should be present in your PATH. Add that to your .bashrc and next time you login , you can just say service httpd start.

Try your vsftpd command using either of the above.

Vino

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VSFTPD

Hi, I am using VSFTPD. I have instructed it to send all logging informartion to /var/log/messages. I would like it to record the names of users who have failed loggin attempts. I have read up on it but have not found out how to do this. Any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

vsftpd service failed to start

hi, i am using RHEL 5 and i am not able to on the vsftp i have tried to on the vsftp service using command service vsftpd start Starting vsftpd for vsftpd: i am posting the content of my /etc/xinetd.d/vsftpd file # description: The vsftpd FTP... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: u.n.i.x
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

VSFTPD Service Failed to Start

Today I have installed VSFTPD but service is failing to start. We have been using standard FTP successful but need to introduce an FTPS option. I have run YUM install VSFTPD and everything appeared to load ok. (If I run rpm - qa | grep vsftpd I get vsftpd-2.0.5-16.el5_4.1 which I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PaulComins
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vsftpd

Hello I am new to linux. I have recently installed vsftpd in my Centos server. I have set the local_umask=0037. But now i can't understand how the window users added in a centos server can see each-other folder. ---------- Post updated at 05:59 AM ---------- Previous update was at 05:55 AM... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maham Zahid
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does vsftpd support user access with client certificate with priv/pub key + vsftpd certificate?

:rolleyes:I am trying to setup all certificate based client-server environment in Linux using vsftpd and curl with openssl. I would like to make a user access with vsftpd certificate and user own client certificate (self-signed) with private/public key. I don't see google posts about the my plan... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogogo
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Run one service after another service has finished - systemd

Hi all I would like to know how to run task2.service after task1.service has finished. task1.service has a timer (task1.timer), that makes it run every 5 minutes OnCalendar=*:0/5task2.service is basically a script, that has to work on the files created after task1 has finished. This is what I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guilliber
2 Replies
SYSTEMD-RUN(1)							    systemd-run 						    SYSTEMD-RUN(1)

NAME
systemd-run - Run programs in transient scope or service units SYNOPSIS
systemd-run [OPTIONS...] COMMAND [ARGS...] DESCRIPTION
systemd-run may be used to create and start a transient .service or a .scope unit and run the specified COMMAND in it. If a command is run as transient service unit, it will be started and managed by the service manager like any other service, and thus show up in the output of systemctl list-units like any other unit. It will run in a clean and detached execution environment. systemd-run will start the service asynchronously in the background and immediately return. If a command is run as transient scope unit, it will be started directly by systemd-run and thus inherit the execution environment of the caller. It is however managed by the service manager similar to normal services, and will also show up in the output of systemctl list-units. Execution in this case is synchronous, and execution will return only when the command finishes. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: -h, --help Prints a short help text and exits. --version Prints a short version string and exits. --user Talk to the service manager of the calling user, rather than the service manager of the system. --system Talk to the service manager of the system. This is the implied default. --scope Create a transient .scope unit instead of the default transient .service unit. --unit= Use this unit name instead of an automatically generated one. --description= Provide description for the unit. If not specified, the command itself will be used as a description. See Description= in systemd.unit(5). --slice= Make the new .service or .scope unit part of the specified slice, instead of the system.slice. --remain-after-exit After the service's process has terminated, keep the service around until it is explicitly stopped. This is useful to collect runtime information about the service after it finished running. Also see RemainAfterExit= in systemd.service(5). --send-sighup When terminating the scope unit, send a SIGHUP immediately after SIGTERM. This is useful to indicate to shells and shell-like processes that the connection has been severed. Also see SendSIGHUP= in systemd.kill(5). All command-line arguments after the first non-option argument become part of the commandline of the launched process. If a command is run as service unit, its first argument needs to be an absolute binary path. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. EXAMPLE
The following command will log the environment variables provided by systemd to services: # systemd-run env Running as unit run-19945.service. # journalctl -u run-19945.service Sep 08 07:37:21 bupkis systemd[1]: Starting /usr/bin/env... Sep 08 07:37:21 bupkis systemd[1]: Started /usr/bin/env. Sep 08 07:37:21 bupkis env[19948]: PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin Sep 08 07:37:21 bupkis env[19948]: LANG=en_US.UTF-8 Sep 08 07:37:21 bupkis env[19948]: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-3.11.0-0.rc5.git6.2.fc20.x86_64 SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), systemd.unit(5), systemd.service(5), systemd.scope(5), systemd.slice(5). systemd 208 SYSTEMD-RUN(1)