Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: default gateway in unix?
Special Forums IP Networking default gateway in unix? Post 70748 by smcg on Tuesday 3rd of May 2005 04:32:31 PM
Old 05-03-2005
default gateway in unix?

i'm a real unix newbie, setting up a network, with a router to router vpn connection with a remote site, all the win stuff is talking and pinging and all the stuff it should be doing (yeah and crashing too, lol) but no communication with the unix box, i think the problem is with my default gateway on the unix system. i need to know how i can check this, and how i can set it if necessary. any help would be greatly appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modifying IP Address/Gateway/Subnet in SCO Unix

Hi, I'm new to unix and have absolutely no experience with it. I am trying to change the network setting on the only computer on our network with SCO Unix. We switched ISP's and now have a new set of IP's. I can't for the life of me figure out how to go in and change these settings, please help.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: PBNOSGT
12 Replies

2. HP-UX

How to add another default gateway

I am using HP-UX 11i and I need to add another default gateway. how can I do that ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: salhoub
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Gateway Config

Hello: I'm new to unix and need to know if my unix server has the network configuration configured correctly. I need to add a gateway and don't know how to. Any help. Thx. George (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: projectit
6 Replies

4. AIX

Help with Default Gateway

Hi, I have two interfaces on m AIX 5.3 box. One going to 192.168.1.x and it has a gateway of 192.168.1.1. I configured the other gateway with 192.168.2.x and the default gateway as 192.168.2.1. But I can't get connectivity to the 192.168.2.1 network. Can someone help me out and let me know... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
7 Replies

5. HP-UX

where can i modify default gateway

where in configuration files can i modify default gateway in hp-ux11iv3 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
5 Replies

6. Linux

GNUGK-How to setup static gateway to gateway routing

Dear Sir I am a newbie in the world of IP telephony. I have been working with Asterisk PBX (SIP) and Cisco Call Manager (MGCP) but now I am learning on how to work GNUGK for H.323 Gatekeeper. I am having a problem, configuring static call routing on GNUGK in the section ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfondoum
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot ping default gateway

I have NCR MP-RAS unix. I have been trying for several months to get our network working since we had never used it before. I have setup all routes that I can think of. I know it has something to do with the routing table, because out of sheer luck I was able to get it working, and than like a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rutgerncas
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Can not ping default gateway

Hi, Here is the issue: There are 2 identical systems in the same subnet here. They can ping and ssh each other. One can ping the default gateway and one can not with error '... icmp_seq Destination Host Unreachable'. I can't find any difference between the two systems in terms of network... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
4 Replies

9. IP Networking

Default Gateway

I am am using IPv6 IP's with an OS of Debian. Is it possible to set a *static* default gateway w/o the router being connected? Will that gateway change when the router is connected? TIA (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meow613
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Inconsistency between RedHat 6.5 global gateway and single gateway leads to loss of default gateway

Dear friends I use RedHat 6.5, which sets the gateway in the configuration file / etc / sysconfig / network as GATEWAY = 192.168.1.26, and the gateway in the configuration file / etc / sysconfig / network-scripts / ifcfg-eth11 as GATEWAY = 192.168.1.256. The two gateways are different.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tanpeng
6 Replies
SLIRPVDE(1)						      General Commands Manual						       SLIRPVDE(1)

NAME
slirpvde - Virtual Distributed Ethernet-Slirp interface SYNOPSIS
slirpvde OPTIONS [ socketdir ] DESCRIPTION
slirpvde is a slirp interface for a VDE network. Slirpvde connects all the units (virtual or real machines) to the network of the host where slirpvde runs as it were a NAT/Masquerading router. The default route is the node 2 (10.0.2.2 in the default network configuration) and DNS is re-mapped in node 3 (10.0.2.3). Slirpvde runs using standard user privileges (no need for root access): all the connections are re-generated by slirpvde itself. IPv4 only. IPv6 is still unsupported (will be supported when slirpvde will be rewritten using the LWIPv6 network stack). OPTIONS
-s, --sock, --socket, --vdesock, --unix directory specify the VDE switch directory (default /var/run/vde.ctl). The VDE switch directory can be also specified at the end of the com- mand, as illustrated by the optional parameter socketdir in the synopsis section, above. When '-' is used in place of the VDE switch directory, slirpvde works as a plug (see vde_plug(1)). The command: dpipe vde_plug = ssh remote.machine.org slirpvde - which is the same as: dpipe vde_plug = ssh remote.machine.org slirpvde -s - connects the default local switch to a remote slirpvde. -p, --pidfile filename specify the name of the file which contains the PID of slirpvde. -g, --group group specify the UNIX group for the VDE communication socket. -m, --mod mode specify the octal UNIX permissions for the VDE communication socket. -P, --port port specify the port of the vde switch whern slirpvde must be connected. -d, --daemon detach from terminal and run slirpvde in background. -H, --host address [ / masklen ] specify the host address (default 10.0.2.2/24). This option automatically defines the network. e.g. -H 192.168.55.1 or: --host 10.1.2.3/16 The default value for masklen is 24. If the host part of the address is zero this option defines only the network. The default host addr is addr 2, the default dns proxy is 3. e.g. -H 10.1.0.0/16 defines the network only. The host address is 10.1.0.2 and the DNS proxy 10.1.0.3. -n, --network address [ / masklen ] specify the network address (default 10.0.2.0/24). Deprecated, it has been included for back compatibility only. It is an alias of -H, --host. -N, --dns address Specify the address of the dns server. If this is an address inside the slirp network, slirvde acts as a dns proxy on that address. The slirpvde dhcp server sends this dns address to the clients. By default this is the host number 3 in the slirpvde network. Using the default network it is 10.0.2.3. Warning: do not use the same address for host and dns. -D, --dhcp turn on the DHCP server for the network autoconfiguration of all the units connected to the VDE. It is possible to specify the start address assigned by the DHCP server as follows: --dhcp=10.1.1.44 DHCP assign addresses starting at host number 15 by default. Using the default network it starts from 10.0.2.15 -L port:vde_host:vde_hostport specifyes a TCP port redirection. All the TCP packets received by the host running slirpvde at port port will be forwarded to vde_host at port vde_hostport. -U port:vde_host:vde_hostport specifyes a UDP port redirection. All the UDP packets received by the host running slirpvde at port port will be forwarded to vde_host at port vde_hostport. -X vde_host[:display.[screen]]i redirect a X window screen of a virtual machine. Slirpvde gets the first unused X display on the host running slirpvde and redirects all the requests to vde_host. display and screen] must be specified when different from :0.0. -x port:unix_socket_path] redirect a port of the virtual router (usually 10.0.2.2) to a unix stream socket. It is used for example to redirect a X display of the hosting computer on the virtual network. e.g. -x6000:/tmp/.X11-unix/X0. (A suitable xhost configuration is needed (e.g. 'xhost local:'). -t, --tftp pathname slirpvde enables a tftp server sharing (read-only) the directory at pathname. -q, --quiet Quiet; do not write anything to standard output. NOTICE
Virtual Distributed Ethernet is not related in any way with www.vde.com ("Verband der Elektrotechnik, Elektronik und Informationstechnik" i.e. the German "Association for Electrical, Electronic & Information Technologies"). SEE ALSO
vde_switch(1), vde_plug(1), vde_plug2tap(1), dpipe(1). AUTHOR
VDE is a project by Renzo Davoli <renzo@cs.unibo.it>. This tool includes software developed by Danny Gasparovski: Slirp code is by Danny Gasparovsky. Bootp/DHCP code is by Fabrice Bellard. Virtual Distributed Ethernet June 15, 2008 SLIRPVDE(1)