Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Restarting a Crashed Process
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Restarting a Crashed Process Post 70705 by Just Ice on Tuesday 3rd of May 2005 08:05:34 AM
Old 05-03-2005
you could also ...

1. count the # of processes running and do nothing if all 10 are there
2. if less than 10 processes, identify which ones are not running and restart them

... if you have the monitor script sleeping and checking every second, your downtime per process will be quiet short ...

however, you might want to fix that hacker issue as soon as possible as anything you can do to fix your process --- they can break ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

old server crashed

Hello We had an old system designed in fortran that ran on a IBM RS6000 AIX 3.2 system. The person who designed is long gone. It was replaced with a completely different (non unix) system 6 years ago. We still used it for historical lookups of older information. Well yesterday it died. The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: billfaith
5 Replies

2. AIX

AIX Crashed..

My AIX 5.3 Machine Carshed Can any one tell some way to find out what went wrong.. I mean debug why it got creahed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
3 Replies

3. Linux

system getting crashed

Hello, Iam a running a apache webserver in CentOS and i get a heavy traffic about 2.5 lac pageviews daily and my db size is about 2GB. Now the problem is after serving some lacs of requests by apache....Both apache and mysql hangouts and the system gets hanged up...using all resources in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dheeraj4uuu
2 Replies

4. Linux

Find out process that crashed the server

Hi everybody, I want to find out all the processes that ran before a server crashed. Is that possible? I've looked in /var/log/messages and found out that the system was out of memory. A user probably wrote a script (in Perl or Python) that used up all available memory and crashed the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: z1dane
11 Replies

5. Red Hat

Process does not dump any core files when crashed even if coredumpsize is unlimited

Hello Im using redhat and try to debug my application , its crashes and in strace I also see it has problems , but I can't see any core dump I configured all the limit ( im using .cshrc ) and it looks like this : cputime unlimited filesize unlimited datasize unlimited... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for to kill the process Ids when restarting the unix server

Hi, I need a script to kill the process Ids for the user ABC. I prepared the following script after that while logging with user therough script i am not sure how to pass the user name and password.Can ou modify the script and help me out. #!/bin/bash for filesize in $(ls -ltr | grep... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: victory
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restarting a process

Hi, How is it possible to restart only your process. I can get the process killed but I am not able to start it. For eg : i first did this ps -ef|grep _out --displays all the process with _out in the name then I killed kill -15 36044 -- process id. Now how can i start the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TH3M0Nk
1 Replies

8. Solaris

System got crashed.

Hi Admins, In my local Vmware system i have installed solaris but while getting my root disk mirrored in svm I changed the vfstab entries and rebooted the server , the server got crashed, and now the root file systems and other filesystems are crashed. Please help me in recovering this. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Laxxi
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in restarting process

Hi friends, I have one unix command which is used to check the network status manually. followig is the command check_Network this command give follwoing status Network 1 is ok Network 2 is ok network 3 is ok network 4 is ok . . . . Network 10 is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nakul_sh
8 Replies

10. Red Hat

Process with S state(Interruptable) in RHEL and gives Advertise error after restarting/Killing the p

Hello, In our Production system one process is in S state(interruptible)and after killing and restarting the process gives 'advertise error'. This error goes after rebooting the Server. I have RHEL 5.9 (tikanga) OS in our server. We tried debugging the issue with the help of 'strace' command... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rohits
9 Replies
expand_dump(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    expand_dump(8)

NAME
expand_dump - Produces a non-compressed kernel crash dump file SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/expand_dump input-file output-file DESCRIPTION
By default, kernel crash dump files (vmzcore.#) are compressed during the crash dump. Compressed core files can be examined by the latest versions of debugging tools that have been recompiled to support compressed crash dump files. However, not all debugging tools may be upgraded on a given system, or you may want to examine a crash dump from a remote system using an older version of a tool. The expand_dump utility produces a file that can be read by tools that have not been upgraded to support compressed crash dump files. This non-compressed version can also be read by any upgraded tool. This utility can only be used with compressed crash dump files, and does not support any other form of compressed file. You cannot use other decompression tools such as compress, gzip, or zip on a compressed crash dump file. Note that the non-compressed file will require significantly more disk storage space as it is possible to achieve compression ratios of up to 60:1. Check the available disk space before running expand_dump and estimate the size of the non-compressed file as follows: Run tests by halting your system and forcing a crash as described in the Kernel Debugging manual. Use an upgraded debugger to determine the value of the variable dumpsize. Multiply this vale by the 8Kb page size to approximate the required disk space of the non-compressed crash-dump. Run expand_dump and pipe the output file to /dev/null, noting the size of the file that is printed when expand_dump completes its task. RETURN VALUES
Successful completion of the decompression. The user did not supply the correct number of command line arguments. The input file could not be read. The input file is not a compressed dump, or is corrupted. The output file could not be created or opened for writing and truncated. There was some problem writing to the output file (probably a full disk). The input file is not formated consistantly. It is probably corrupted. The input file could not be correctly decompressed. It is probably corrupted. EXAMPLES
expand_dump vmzcore.4 vmcore.4 SEE ALSO
Commands: dbx(1), kdbx(8), ladebug(1), savecore(8) Kernel Debugging System Administration expand_dump(8)