Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: multiboot
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers multiboot Post 7064 by PxT on Tuesday 18th of September 2001 11:07:58 AM
Old 09-18-2001
Older versions of windows (95,98,etc) had an undocumented switch for fdisk that would wipe out the boot sector for you:

fdisk /mbr

I have no idea if this still exists in current versions of windows (2k, nt). If not, find a 95 or 98 boot disk, boot into dos mode and run the command above.

BTW, this is a Unix forum -- how is this a Unix related question?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiboot problem Help plz??

I have installed Win98 OS .......1st then RH7.2 with GRUB bootloader okay i.e in the Grub there is two choices 1-Linux 2-Dos also I install bootloader of linux in MBR -master boot record- when select Linux an error : ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: atiato
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Multiboot

Hi there, Can I install on the same Ultra10/Ultra60 machine 2 diferrent OS Solaris8/9 and Linux(any version that would be possible) and choose the appropriate one at boot time ? Have anyone done this ? thnx, GISMO (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gismo
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multiboot

hi ... thanx for the advice last time .... i have another query .... now that i haf installed red hat linux version 9 i think ....i have allocated a free space to load windows.... but during windows xp installation , it does not recognise the free space to be userable for installing of the winxp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaya
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Problem with scientific Linux multiboot

Hello, I have a multi-boot system with windows and openSuse. The boot loader is from Suse and the menu worked fine. Today I installed Scientific Linux and am having trouble with the boot loader. The SL install is on a different drive than the windows and Suse. As is typical, the SL installer has... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Multiboot on a laptop: windows Solaris Linux

Hi Just want to share.... Multiboot: winlinsos; June 2016 Lenovo x230, 4GB - No internal DVD driver I have # fdisk -l Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes, 234441648 sectors Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes I/O... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: van12
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Multiboot problem with Slackware 14.2, FreeBSD 11 & Solaris 10

I want to install Slackware 14.2, FreeBSD and Solaris 10 on a p4 machine but multiboot is not working as lilo overwrites grub and btx boot loader can't detect others. I had to boot slackware and Solaris with the installation disc for a good number of times. I installed all boot loaders on MBR. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Multiboot problem with Slackware 14.2, FreeBSD 11 & Solaris 10

I want to install Slackware 14.2, FreeBSD and Solaris 10 on a p4 machine but multiboot is not working as lilo overwrites grub and btx boot loader can't detect others. I had to boot slackware and Solaris with the installation disc for a good number of times. I installed all boot loaders on MBR. The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harveyclayton
3 Replies
cr(1)							      General Commands Manual							     cr(1)

NAME
cr - converts text files between nix EOL and dos EOL SYNOPSIS
cr - | + <input file> <output file> DESCRIPTION
Text files, such as tle files, that come from a dos source usualy have the ^M symbol at the end of every line. Cr converts files between the dos newline format and the normal *nix newline format by stripping the ^M to convert dos to *nix, using the '-' option, or adding ^M to a *nix file to create the proper dos file when the '+' option is used. Although this extra character is not often a problem, programs like seesat5, which are data driven will encounter parsing problems when the extra character is present. It is these problems that cr is intended to repair. Options - | + One or the other of these options is required. The '-' option is used to remove ^M from all newlines found in the dos file. The '+' option is used to add ^M to every newline found in a *nix file. input file Fully delineated path to the input file. As this program is used in the dos environment as well, standard input is not used. output file Fully delineated path to the output file. As this program is used in the dos environment as well, standart output is not used. SEE ALSO
seesat5(1), seesat5(7), SEESAT5.INI(5), tle(5) BUGS
Cr is not an inteligent program. It methodicaly replaces/removes the offending character when it finds it in the correct context. Newline sequences found in contexts other than 'newline' will be replaced/removed just like those found in the proper context. Passing a binary file through cr is not advised, for this reason. Send all inqueries to Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>. Debian Linux 2 April 96 cr(1)