Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting small question of echo | grep command Post 70595 by Just Ice on Monday 2nd of May 2005 11:12:41 AM
Old 05-02-2005
try ...

a=`echo $b | grep /` > /dev/null

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

small question

Hi there, I found the following script on the net, i like to use it as a standard template for new scripts. But i do not understand the meaning of the last line, can anybody explain what going on on the last line vflag=off filename= while getopts vf: opt do case "$opt" in v)... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: janr
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

small question regarding substr()

Hello.. I am doing some awk-ing and among all I use substr inside it.. I have: ....substr($0,60,37) meaning as U all know take from 37 char. from point 60.. can I put it like this substr($0,60,end of line) meaning take it from point 60 and take all characketrs in that line until line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

A small minix question

First af all hi. i want to create a batch script which inform when users log in last time on system or if they are online when they logged in. I want ot use a file .users which has the usernames of users. i want to print for example peter is ONLINE: Logged in on Wed Feb 11 07:47 alex... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasa
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Small question regarding SSH

I am looking for some model like this: My Computer ------------- Intermediate Server (IS) ------------- Own Server I must be able to ssh into the Intermediate Internet Server which is generally an online version of SSH service through which I will connect to Own Server. I was the IS to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep on file of small size

Hi everybody, I would like to carry out a grep on files below a certain size. First I thought to find the files with "find" and then pipe the result to grep. e.g. find /my_dir -size -20 -print | grep hello but in this way grep searches only the string hello in the file names. Is there a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
7 Replies

6. Programming

A small question about fork()

Hello experts, I am using fork() in my code but I am confused which output comes first child or parent? I did the following code .My book shows parent first but my linux shows child first.Can anyone tell me why? #include <stdio.h> int main(){ int pid; printf("I am original process with pid... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlhazan
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question in the command of Grep

I have the following command using Grep in a complex shell script. Can you please advise what does the below expression mean? # grep ^${File1}\| $Textfile > /deve/null 2>&1 Questions, 1) Wanted to know the significance of "^" in this line 2)What does a backslash"\" before the pipeline... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreedharust
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Small fast question

just to confirm du from sh show sizes as multiples of 512 byte right? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick1097
4 Replies

9. Programming

Ok i have a small assembly question

I have this small program that runs with the flat assembler. My problem is that at the receive line function it receives the line and if there isn't a $ typed at the end of the user input the program displays a lot of strange stuff, sometimes beeps and then it seems to terminate without causing any... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Errigour
13 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Question on grep command (extract a string)

Dear all, I have a file a.txt like below: 1_234560_A_G_b37 1 2 1 2 2 2 ... 1_35465767_C_T_b37 2 1 1 2 2 2 ... 2_490638010_A_T_b37 1 2 1 2 2 2 ... 10_4567899_T_G_b37 2 2 1 2 2 2 ... ... what I want to do is extracting rows starting with "10_" like : 10_4567899_T_G_b37 2 2 1 2 2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forevertl
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep is used to invoke the grep on compress'ed or gzip'ed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is speci- fied, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If zgrep is invoked as zegrep or zfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep zgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; zgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), zdiff(1), zmore(1), znew(1), zforce(1), gzip(1), gzexe(1) ZGREP(1)