Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix Command for finding Nul Characters Post 70526 by fundidor on Saturday 30th of April 2005 10:21:29 AM
Old 04-30-2005
Unix Command for finding Nul Characters

Hi Folks,

I have this windowed applescript application I use for sending out emails, it uses the Postfix daemon buit into my Mac Os X box, and a 3 SMTP servers (out of hundreds I send emails to) were refusing my messages replying "host smtp2.braspress.com.br[200.187.158.140] said: 550 Requested action not taken: NUL characters are not allowed. (in reply to end of DATA command)"

As a novice high-level programmer, I did not know that every character is represented by a hex value, and that I had two "gremlins" in my Template text (used to send out the emails after text manipulation), I mean, I had two hex values = 00.

A experienced Objective C programmer, friend of mine, taught me the what these Nul characters are and helped me removing these from my text. I was using a text application that did not show me the little gremlins.

As I move on forward with my learning, I am wondering if there is a Unix command I can use to detect these Gremlins, and so create a routine in my application to check the consistency of any text I use for sending out emails.

I thank you for your comments,

Bernardo Höhl
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding exact characters

I want to grep from a file an exact character match. I tried grep -c "$a $b" $file where a=6 and b=2 the problem is that I get: 6 2 and 6 20 I just need a count of the occurrence. I'm using the Bourne shell. I've also tried grep -c '$a $b' $file; not sure how to do this - any suggestions? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrdnoland1
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing a nul field with text

Ok here's my pickle. I have a file in which every line must be the same length. Each field within the line is a certain length. None of these can be changed. What I need to do is look at a specific field within this file, let's say it starts with character 30 and ends with 50. If this field is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DarkHound
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding characters with new line

I have a file sample.txt with the below contents: Aaa - providioning add || dev - reeec dev kapl || ball - HERO || bal - provisioning pro || for given name i need the output to be the contents between - and || (excluding both) for eg : input - Aaa output -... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinny
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix command to count the number of files with specific characters in name

Hey all, I'm looking for a command that will search a directory (and all subdirectories) and give me a file count for the number of files that contain specific characters within its filename. e.g. I want to find the number of files that contain "-a.jpg" in their name. All the searching I've... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: murphysm
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding junk characters

Hi, Is there anyway to find the junk characters in a file.Consider the file has data as given below: 123|abc^M|Doctor^C #record 1 234|def|Med #record 2 345|dfg^C|Wrong^V #record 3 The junk characters are highlighted and this is a pipe delimited file. Is there anyway to... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashwin3086
20 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix command to select first few characters and last character of a line

I have a huge file and I want to select first 10 charcters and last 2 characters of everyline and than will filter the unique line. I know, it must be easy bt I am new to unix scripting:) Ex. I have file as below and need to e3kbaird and last 2 characters. and than unique records. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev Yadav
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Strings between 2 characters in a file

Hi All, Assuming i have got a file test.dat which has contains as follows: Unix = abc def fgt jug 111 2222 3333 Linux = gggg pppp qqq C# = ccc ffff llll I would like to traverse through the file, get the 1st occurance of "=" and then need to get the sting... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: rtagarra
22 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding first 6 characters

Hi , I'm using KSH88 I tried the following example to get the last 6 characters from a string echo 'abcdefghids' | sed 's/.*\(.\{6\}\)$/\1/' What chages i need to do to get the first 6 characters from the string my desired output should be abcdef Thank you (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Request for advise on how to remove control characters in a UNIX file extracted from top command

Hi, Please excuse for posting new thread on control characters, I am facing some difficulties in removing the control character from a file extracted from top command, i am able to see control characters using more command and in vi mode, through cat control characters are not visible ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
8 Replies
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::PhishTag(3) 		User Contributed Perl Documentation		   Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::PhishTag(3)

NAME
PhishTag - SpamAssassin plugin for redirecting links in incoming emails. SYNOPSIS
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::PhishTag trigger_ratio 0.1 trigger_target RULE_NAME http://www.antiphishing.org/consumer_recs.html DESCRIPTION
PhishTag enables administrators to rewrite links in emails that trigger certain tests, preferably anti-phishing blacklist tests. The plugin will inhibit the blocking of a portion of the emails that trigger the test by SpamAssassin, and let them pass to the users' inbox after the rewrite. It is useful in providing training to email users about company policies and general email usage. OPTIONS
The following options can be set by modifying the configuration file. o trigger_ratio percentage_value Sets the probability in percentage that a positive test will trigger the email rewrite, e.g. 0.1 will rewrite on the average 1 in 1000 emails that match the trigger. o trigger_target RULE_NAME http_url The name of the test which would trigger the email rewrite; all the URLs will be replaced by http_url. DOWNLOAD
The source of this plugin is avaliable at: http://umut.topkara.org/PhishTag/PhishTag.pm a sample configuration file is also available: http://umut.topkara.org/PhishTag/PhishTag.cf SEE ALSO
Check the list of tests performed by SpamAssassin to modify the configuration file to match your needs from http://spamassassin.apache.org/tests.html AUTHOR
Umut Topkara, 2008, <umut@topkara.org> http://umut.topkara.org COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This plugin is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as SpamAssassin itself, either version 3.2.4 or, at your option, any later version of SpamAssassin you may have available. perl v5.12.1 2010-03-16 Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::PhishTag(3)