Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sed - Lower case single characters Post 70436 by zlindner on Thursday 28th of April 2005 06:51:30 PM
Old 04-28-2005
Sed - Lower case single characters

Hello,

I have a file where I am supposed to convert all the single i characters to uppercase, but when I try, it converts all the i's inside of words to uppercase as well.

I tried doing:

cat filename | sed 's/i/I/g'

but that obviously does not work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lower case to upper case string conversion in shell script

How can convert a Lower case variable value to an upper case in the kron shell script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchalavadi
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to select and delete lower case and mixed case records

HELLO ALL, URGENTLY NEEDED A SCRIPT TO SELECT AND DELETE LOWER AND MIXED CASE RECORDS FROM A COLUMN IN A TABLE. FOR EXAMPLE : Table name is EMPLOYEE and the column name is CITY and the CITY column records will be: Newyork washington ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhilash mn
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl - converting selected characters to upper/lower case

Using STDIN, how can I use perl to take an input string, with all lower case letters in the first five characters, and convert them to uppercase... then take all uppercase letters in the second five characters and convert them to lowercase. Example: MichaelSmith to michaELSMIth Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: doubleminus
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert value in a variable from upper case to lower case

Hi, I have a variable $Ctrcd which contains country names in upper case and i want to convert them into lower case. I have tried so many solutions from already existing threads but couldn't get the correct one. Can anybody help me with this..... Thanks a lot.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manmeet
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert contents of file to lower case with SED

Hi I what to add option to existing sed code to convert target file to lower case #!/bin/ksh SOURCE_DATA_DEST=/ora TARGET_DATA_DEST=/home/oracle/alexz TARGET_DB_SID=T102_test sed -e "s/REUSE/SET/g" \ -e "s/NORESETLOGS/RESETLOGS/g" \ T102_ccf.sql > target.sql Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

data array needs to change upper case to lower case

Hi all, i have a data array as followes. ARRAY=DFSG345GGG ARRAY=234FDFG090 ARRAY=VDFVGBGHH so on.......... i need all english letters to be change to lower case. So i am expecting to see ARRAY=dfsg345ggg ARRAY=234fdfg090 ARRAY=vdfvgbghh so on........ If i have to copy this data in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Change Upper case to Lower case in C shell

Is there a command that can switch a character variable from UPPER case to lower case? like foreach AC ( ABC BCD PLL QIO) set ac `COMMAND($AC)` ... end Thanks a lot! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion from Upper Case to Lower Case Condition based

Hello Unix Gurus : It would be really appreciative if can find a solution for this . I have records in a file . I need to Capitalize the records based on condition . For Example i tried the following Command COMMAND --> fgrep "2000YUYU" /export/home/oracle/TST/data.dat | tr '' ''... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsbiju
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change first letter of a word from lower case to upper case

Hi all, I am trying to find a way to change first letter in a word from lower case to upper case. It should be done for each first word in text or in paragraph, and also for each word after punctuation like . ; : ! ?I found the following command sed -i 's/\s*./\U&\E/g' $@ filenamebut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgi58
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert text to lower case except the strings within single quotes

Shell : bash that comes with RHEL 6.7 I have SQL scripts like below. I want to convert all the text in these files to lower case except the strings enclosed within single quotes . Any idea how I can achieve this ? Sample text: $ cat sample.txt SELECT ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
6 Replies
TOUPPER(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							TOUPPER(3)

NAME
toupper, tolower - convert letter to upper or lower case SYNOPSIS
#include <ctype.h> int toupper(int c); int tolower(int c); DESCRIPTION
toupper() converts the letter c to upper case, if possible. tolower() converts the letter c to lower case, if possible. If c is not an unsigned char value, or EOF, the behavior of these functions is undefined. RETURN VALUE
The value returned is that of the converted letter, or c if the conversion was not possible. CONFORMING TO
C89, C99, 4.3BSD. BUGS
The details of what constitutes an uppercase or lowercase letter depend on the current locale. For example, the default "C" locale does not know about umlauts, so no conversion is done for them. In some non-English locales, there are lowercase letters with no corresponding uppercase equivalent; the German sharp s is one example. SEE ALSO
isalpha(3), setlocale(3), towlower(3), towupper(3), locale(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
1993-04-04 TOUPPER(3)