Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to scan only new lines added in file? Post 70426 by Just Ice on Thursday 28th of April 2005 03:34:24 PM
Old 04-28-2005
I have used the same solution as forwarded by RTM and it works very well that way ... the only thing is you might want to make sure your filecounter file is not in /tmp just in case of an unplanned reboot --- i put mine in /var/tmp which is not a volatile directory in my solaris setup ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Scan

Hi everyone , i m working on Sun solaris and i have a file "smsapp.cur" which has information like this paragraph given below , there are millions of such paragraphs From:923212802736 To:923222326807 logMessage: 07-04-08 17:34:29 Getting message topup from code page default in language English... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dastard
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Inventory Scan

Is there such a script out there that will Analyze a folder and subfolders, getting file type utilization and file aging. A CSV file will be created with file information File,Size,Date Created,Last Modified,Last Accessed,Extension,File Type,Owner A Summary report text file will also be created... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seacros
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to scan back lines

Hi Perl gurus, I have this file to scan through. Sample lines below: 2008031A, USERNAME, 12345, give ABC, take XYZ, transaction submitted 2008031B, USERNAME, 12346, waiting for processing 2008031C, USERNAME, 12347, Retrieving response 2008031D, USERNAME, 12348, This is not a valid dealing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gholdbhurg
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the latest added part of a text file?

Hi, I want to get the latest added part of a text file sent over the network to for analysis. Is there a tool to use to keep track of which part of a text file that has already been analysed so only the "new" lines will be sent and handled? I have checked a few tools but I still donīt know how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcrs
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scan a log file

hi guys, i am very new to scripting & lookin for a shell script/perl script which would scan another file with the keyword "no change" & take a count of the same. Let me know if any further details are required. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhanda
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check if a new line has been added to a file?

Have come up with the following but it doesn't seem to work.. Is there some other command i could use to get this to work? OUTPATH=/home/out PARMFILE=$OUTPATH/jobcount_test.txt LOG=$OUTPATH/job_count_monthlymail_log.txt HLOG=$OUTPATH/job_count_monthlymail_hlog.txt # echo " started at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want Trailer to be added into the text file.

Hi folks, I want Trailer to be added into the txt file the format is below. flatfile-> abc.txt count of the file is 500 records. I want the trailer in this format: TRAILER|500 (pipe delimeter). Please suggest the comands ASAP. Rgds Ann (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Haque123
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log File Scan

I need to read the last line of a log file and save it, sleep for X minutes and read the last line again. If the line is the same, exit 1, otherwise sleep for X minutes until the last line contains 'Status: Process completed'. Can anyone offer advice here? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mode09
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scan a file in realtime and execute certain commands on encountering 5 consecutive identical lines

Mysql log has something like below: I need a bash shell script that will do the following: 1) The script will scan the mysql.log file constantly in real time (something like tail -F mysql.log) 2) If it encounters 5 consecutive identical lines then it would invoke some commands (say... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error after I added several lines

I have added several lines to my code let cnt=0 if then if then cnt=`expr ${cnt} + 1` sftp_name=EOMMSRPT1 echo "EOMsftpname = ${sftp_name}" >> ${LOGF} ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
2 Replies
DH_MOVEFILES(1) 						     Debhelper							   DH_MOVEFILES(1)

NAME
dh_movefiles - move files out of debian/tmp into subpackages SYNOPSIS
dh_movefiles [debhelperoptions] [--sourcedir=dir] [-Xitem] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_movefiles is a debhelper program that is responsible for moving files out of debian/tmp or some other directory and into other package build directories. This may be useful if your package has a Makefile that installs everything into debian/tmp, and you need to break that up into subpackages. Note: dh_install is a much better program, and you are recommended to use it instead of dh_movefiles. FILES
debian/package.files Lists the files to be moved into a package, separated by whitespace. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. OPTIONS
--sourcedir=dir Instead of moving files out of debian/tmp (the default), this option makes it move files out of some other directory. Since the entire contents of the sourcedir is moved, specifying something like --sourcedir=/ is very unsafe, so to prevent mistakes, the sourcedir must be a relative filename; it cannot begin with a `/'. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being installed. file ... Lists files to move. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. It is an error to list files here unless you use -p, -i, or -a to tell dh_movefiles which subpackage to put them in. NOTES
Note that files are always moved out of debian/tmp by default (even if you have instructed debhelper to use a compatibility level higher than one, which does not otherwise use debian/tmp for anything at all). The idea behind this is that the package that is being built can be told to install into debian/tmp, and then files can be moved by dh_movefiles from that directory. Any files or directories that remain are ignored, and get deleted by dh_clean later. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_MOVEFILES(1)