Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Changing the column for a row in a text file and adding another row Post 70343 by aYankeeFan on Wednesday 27th of April 2005 06:22:40 PM
Old 04-27-2005
Hi,
I was trying this script today . If I had to add another column and add 24 instead of 1 on that column and add new row after that , how can I do it .
For example if the input line is :
abc xyz lmn 89 lm nk o p 2 p

and I want

abc xyz lmn 90 lm nk o p 26 p
abc xyz lmn 91 lm nk o p 50 p
upto 10 lines .

I tried adding 24 to the $9 in the script above , like this .

BEGIN { c = 0 }

{ print $0; lastrow = $0 }

END { while ( c < 10 ) {
$0 = lastrow
++$4
$9 = $9 + 24
print $0
lastrow = $0
++c
}
}

But the result says :

1 24
1 24 1 24
1 24 1 25 24
1 24 1 26 24 24
1 24 1 27 24 24 24
1 24 1 28 24 24 24 24
1 24 1 29 24 24 24 24 24
1 24 1 30 24 24 24 24 48
1 24 1 31 24 24 24 24 72
1 24 1 32 24 24 24 24 96

I think I am messing up the addition in the column 9 .
Whats the correct way to do it ?
Any help would be appreciated .

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a column with the row number using awk

Is there anyway to use awk to add a first column to my data that automatically goes from 1 to n , where n is the numbers of my rows?:confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosmologist
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you delete cells from a space delimited text file given row and column number?

How do you delete cells from a space delimited text file given row and column number? Letś say the row number is r and the column number is c. Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subtracting each row from the first row in a single column file using awk

Hi Friends, I have a single column data like below. 1 2 3 4 5 I need the output like below. 0 1 2 3 4 where each row (including first row) subtracting from first row and the result should print below like the way shown in output file. Thanks Sid (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a column to a text file with row numbers

Hi, I would like to add a new column containing the row numbers to a text file. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! Example input: A X B Y C D Output: A X 1 B Y 2 C D 3 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk to print first row with forth column and last row with fifth column in each file

file with this content awk 'NR==1 {print $4} && NR==2 {print $5}' file The error is shown with syntax error; what can be done (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print row on 4th column to all row

Dear All, I have input : SEG901 5173 9005 5740 SEG902 5227 5284 SEG903 5284 5346 SEG904 5346 9010 SEG905 5400 5456 SEG906 5456 5511 SEG907 5511 9011 SEG908 5572 9015 SEG909 5622 9020 SEG910 5678 5739 SEG911 5739 5796 SEG912 5796 9025 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: attila
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script changing row to column

Hi Gurus, I have an I/P file which looks like 100 1 200 1 300 4 100 2 200 3 300 4 100 9 200 8 300 7 I would liek to get O/P as 100 200 300 1 1 4 2 3 4 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a timestamp every N row in another column

Hi, i have a raw output file like this 167,63.50 167,63.50 168,63.68 166,63.68 168,63.68 I would like to add every each N rows (for example 60) and in a third column , a timestamp using the command date +"%H:%M"how can i do it with one single command ? Thank you !! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Board27
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Column to row and position data in a text file

Hi everyone.. I have a list of values in a file... a, b, c, 1, 2, 3, aaaa, bbbbb, I am interested in converting this column to a row.. "text",aaaa, bbbb a,1 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: manihi
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print every alternate column in row in a text file

Hi, I have a comma separated file. I would like to print every alternate columns into a new row. Example input file: Name : John, Age : 30, DOB : 30-Oct-2018 Example output: Name,Age,DOB John,30,30-Oct-2018 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lini
3 Replies
PCRECOMPAT(3)						     Library Functions Manual						     PCRECOMPAT(3)

NAME
PCRE - Perl-compatible regular expressions DIFFERENCES BETWEEN PCRE AND PERL
This document describes the differences in the ways that PCRE and Perl handle regular expressions. The differences described here are mainly with respect to Perl 5.8, though PCRE versions 7.0 and later contain some features that are expected to be in the forthcoming Perl 5.10. 1. PCRE has only a subset of Perl's UTF-8 and Unicode support. Details of what it does have are given in the section on UTF-8 support in the main pcre page. 2. PCRE does not allow repeat quantifiers on lookahead assertions. Perl permits them, but they do not mean what you might think. For exam- ple, (?!a){3} does not assert that the next three characters are not "a". It just asserts that the next character is not "a" three times. 3. Capturing subpatterns that occur inside negative lookahead assertions are counted, but their entries in the offsets vector are never set. Perl sets its numerical variables from any such patterns that are matched before the assertion fails to match something (thereby suc- ceeding), but only if the negative lookahead assertion contains just one branch. 4. Though binary zero characters are supported in the subject string, they are not allowed in a pattern string because it is passed as a normal C string, terminated by zero. The escape sequence can be used in the pattern to represent a binary zero. 5. The following Perl escape sequences are not supported: l, u, L, U, and N. In fact these are implemented by Perl's general string- handling and are not part of its pattern matching engine. If any of these are encountered by PCRE, an error is generated. 6. The Perl escape sequences p, P, and X are supported only if PCRE is built with Unicode character property support. The properties that can be tested with p and P are limited to the general category properties such as Lu and Nd, script names such as Greek or Han, and the derived properties Any and L&. 7. PCRE does support the Q...E escape for quoting substrings. Characters in between are treated as literals. This is slightly different from Perl in that $ and @ are also handled as literals inside the quotes. In Perl, they cause variable interpolation (but of course PCRE does not have variables). Note the following examples: Pattern PCRE matches Perl matches Qabc$xyzE abc$xyz abc followed by the contents of $xyz Qabc$xyzE abc$xyz abc$xyz QabcE$QxyzE abc$xyz abc$xyz The Q...E sequence is recognized both inside and outside character classes. 8. Fairly obviously, PCRE does not support the (?{code}) and (??{code}) constructions. However, there is support for recursive patterns. This is not available in Perl 5.8, but will be in Perl 5.10. Also, the PCRE "callout" feature allows an external function to be called dur- ing pattern matching. See the pcrecallout documentation for details. 9. Subpatterns that are called recursively or as "subroutines" are always treated as atomic groups in PCRE. This is like Python, but unlike Perl. 10. There are some differences that are concerned with the settings of captured strings when part of a pattern is repeated. For example, matching "aba" against the pattern /^(a(b)?)+$/ in Perl leaves $2 unset, but in PCRE it is set to "b". 11. PCRE does support Perl 5.10's backtracking verbs (*ACCEPT), (*FAIL), (*F), (*COMMIT), (*PRUNE), (*SKIP), and (*THEN), but only in the forms without an argument. PCRE does not support (*MARK). If (*ACCEPT) is within capturing parentheses, PCRE does not set that capture group; this is different to Perl. 12. PCRE provides some extensions to the Perl regular expression facilities. Perl 5.10 will include new features that are not in earlier versions, some of which (such as named parentheses) have been in PCRE for some time. This list is with respect to Perl 5.10: (a) Although lookbehind assertions must match fixed length strings, each alternative branch of a lookbehind assertion can match a different length of string. Perl requires them all to have the same length. (b) If PCRE_DOLLAR_ENDONLY is set and PCRE_MULTILINE is not set, the $ meta-character matches only at the very end of the string. (c) If PCRE_EXTRA is set, a backslash followed by a letter with no special meaning is faulted. Otherwise, like Perl, the backslash is qui- etly ignored. (Perl can be made to issue a warning.) (d) If PCRE_UNGREEDY is set, the greediness of the repetition quantifiers is inverted, that is, by default they are not greedy, but if fol- lowed by a question mark they are. (e) PCRE_ANCHORED can be used at matching time to force a pattern to be tried only at the first matching position in the subject string. (f) The PCRE_NOTBOL, PCRE_NOTEOL, PCRE_NOTEMPTY, and PCRE_NO_AUTO_CAPTURE options for pcre_exec() have no Perl equivalents. (g) The R escape sequence can be restricted to match only CR, LF, or CRLF by the PCRE_BSR_ANYCRLF option. (h) The callout facility is PCRE-specific. (i) The partial matching facility is PCRE-specific. (j) Patterns compiled by PCRE can be saved and re-used at a later time, even on different hosts that have the other endianness. (k) The alternative matching function (pcre_dfa_exec()) matches in a different way and is not Perl-compatible. (l) PCRE recognizes some special sequences such as (*CR) at the start of a pattern that set overall options that cannot be changed within the pattern. AUTHOR
Philip Hazel University Computing Service Cambridge CB2 3QH, England. REVISION
Last updated: 11 September 2007 Copyright (c) 1997-2007 University of Cambridge. PCRECOMPAT(3)