Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers make and clean in a single rule in the makefile. Post 70165 by bhargav on Tuesday 26th of April 2005 01:30:31 PM
Old 04-26-2005
Are .o files existing in the current dir ???

try -f option for rm to avoid errors.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clean file in single action

What one finds challenging another finds simple... (HPUX B.11.11) I have a text file named something like 12345.dst that could look like this: DOG CAT NONE TEST CAT What I want to end up with is 12345.dst looking like this: CAT DOG TEST removing "NONE" should it be there and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: djp
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To make sure I don't violate rule #7

I am hoping to find out if it is possible to use some sort of UNIX programming/scripting tools to solve a problem I have with reformatting email messages that are sent out of my IBM UNIX (AIX) system. I'm thinking some advanced awk/sed may work I do not have the time or the ability to do this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: toddk
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Makefile rule being skipped

I can't seem to get a rule in my Makefile to ever run... even if I change the rule to force make to re-enter the rule, or if I change the dependent files the rule depends on. Any ideas why the second rule is being ignored here? #MAKEFILES = $(DIRS:%=$(ROOT)/%/Makefile) #$(MAKEFILES):... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: foureightyeast
0 Replies

4. Programming

A question about Makefile run by GNU make

Hello everybody, Currently I'm learning how to build projects (C programming) with GNU make. I have a problem with one Makefile and I would appreciate if you could kindly give me a hand. Here is the environment: OS: Redhat linux 5 compiler: gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-44)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dariyoosh
2 Replies

5. Programming

Issue with make, no rule to make target etc.

I have been trying to split up my src directory to clear out files that are not re-compiled very often. Now I have the following setup in my trunk, trunk/bld trunk/src/ trunk/src/src_server trunk/makefile.linux In the make file, I have compile rules SOURCELOC = src # compile src c++... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with a script to make makefile

How do we create a shell script that creates a makefile? what if we want to use the #include header files too? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sslokhan
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Defining a new suffix rule in a Makefile

Hi everybody, I have a Makefile where a single suffix rule is defined: .SUFFIXES: .cpp .cpp.o: ${CXX} ${CXXFLAGS} -c -o $@ $< And I'd like to create another where an additional flag is added to compile in SMP. Right now, I have to do it like this: interface-smp.o:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zel2008
2 Replies

8. Programming

Makefile No rule to make target

I am trying to create a makefile to build a program and am getting the following error: make -f tsimplex.mk make: *** No rule to make target `/main/tsimplex_main.cpp', needed by `tsimplex_main.o'. Stop. OPSYS = $(shell uname -s ) TARGET = tsimplex ROOTDIR = ../../.. GTSDIR =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Default rule to be executed in makefile

Hi all, I want to know the entry point (default rule to be executed) in a makefile once all defined variables are evaluated. I do not have all: in my makefile and I give "make" without any parameter in command line. thanks........ (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: useless79
3 Replies

10. Solaris

SunOS 5.5.1 usage of Makefile command in make file

I am new to Solaris and compilation using make files. I have a code base which is organized into different folders. At the root folder is a master make file and in the sub directories, there are make files for that particular folder. In the make files present in subdirectories, I am seeing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajujayanthy
2 Replies
ccmakedep(1)						      General Commands Manual						      ccmakedep(1)

NAME
ccmakedep - create dependencies in makefiles using a C compiler SYNOPSIS
ccmakedep [ cpp-flags ] [ -wwidth ] [ -smagic-string ] [ -fmakefile ] [ -oobject-suffix ] [ -v ] [ -a ] [ -cccompiler ] [ -- options -- ] sourcefile ... DESCRIPTION
The ccmakedep program calls a C compiler to preprocess each sourcefile, and uses the output to construct makefile rules describing their dependencies. These rules instruct make(1) on which object files must be recompiled when a dependency has changed. By default, ccmakedep places its output in the file named makefile if it exists, otherwise Makefile. An alternate makefile may be speci- fied with the -f option. It first searches the makefile for a line beginning with # DO NOT DELETE or one provided with the -s option, as a delimiter for the dependency output. If it finds it, it will delete everything following this up to the end of the makefile and put the output after this line. If it doesn't find it, the program will append the string to the makefile and place the output after that. EXAMPLE
Normally, ccmakedep will be used in a makefile target so that typing 'make depend' will bring the dependencies up to date for the makefile. For example, SRCS = file1.c file2.c ... CFLAGS = -O -DHACK -I../foobar -xyz depend: ccmakedep -- $(CFLAGS) -- $(SRCS) OPTIONS
The program will ignore any option that it does not understand, so you may use the same arguments that you would for cc(1), including -D and -U options to define and undefine symbols and -I to set the include path. -a Append the dependencies to the file instead of replacing existing dependencies. -cccompiler Use this compiler to generate dependencies. -fmakefile Filename. This allows you to specify an alternate makefile in which ccmakedep can place its output. Specifying "-" as the file name (that is, -f-) sends the output to standard output instead of modifying an existing file. -sstring Starting string delimiter. This option permits you to specify a different string for ccmakedep to look for in the makefile. The default is "# DO NOT DELETE". -v Be verbose: display the C compiler command before running it. -- options -- If ccmakedep encounters a double hyphen (--) in the argument list, then any unrecognized arguments following it will be silently ignored. A second double hyphen terminates this special treatment. In this way, ccmakedep can be made to safely ignore esoteric compiler arguments that might normally be found in a CFLAGS make macro (see the EXAMPLE section above). -D, -I, and -U options appearing between the pair of double hyphens are still processed normally. SEE ALSO
cc(1), make(1), makedepend(1), ccmakedep(1). AUTHOR
ccmakedep was written by the X Consortium. Colin Watson wrote this manual page, originally for the Debian Project, based partly on the manual page for makedepend(1). X Version 11 imake 1.0.5 ccmakedep(1)