Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to remove a unix boot partition ? Post 7005 by manderson19 on Monday 17th of September 2001 02:44:09 PM
Old 09-17-2001
it really has nothing to do with unix, so don't worry about being newSmilie

you need to check your hard drive to see if it is made by Western Digital (which more than likely it is). If so, there is a diagnostic utility you can get from westerndigital.com that you have to run against the hard drive to remove ALL of the unix stuff. once that is done, you should be able to load NT with no problem. Trust me, I found this out the hard way. Hope this helps.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Creating /boot partition & MBR concerns

I have 40GB HD with mepis8, swap, MBR and under flags word boot. I also have a 160 GB external with a few Linux OS, no swaps, no extended etc. I am total Linux no MS I would feel more secure by resizing that sda1 partition and creating a /boot partition with the MBR housed there. Is that a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: worthamtx
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

How to Extend Boot Partition

Hi, My linux server working with LVM partition and with /boot partition, now my /boot partition is full, now i need to extend my boot partition. can i know how to do it, without any data loss. Regards, M.Selva Prakash (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mselvaprakash
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

required resize /boot partition in linux

Hi, In my linux box I have installed /boot partition with 100MB. I have done compile for a newer kernel. The both kernels are required to me. Finally /boot partition has using 100%. I need to resize the /boot. Any body give the solution how to do resize the /boot partition without dusturbing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: parsrigum
2 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Clone one partition and boot from USB

I have small problem: my hard drive has 500GB storage and it is divided into partitions /dev/sda1 - 20 GB (boot) /dev/sda2 - rest I want to clone only one partition /dev/sda1 and write all data on my USB stick /dev/sdb What's more I want to make my USB bootable and I don't know at all how can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: menda
3 Replies

5. Linux

Creating /boot partition for LVM VG

Hi, I have a server booted into sysresccd (mini-linux OS) with 1 40 GB disk attached I am trying to create a volume group and restore another server into the new one However, when I try to create a partition for /boot it seems that my VG in LVM is not recognized anymore These are the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: galuzan
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

TRU64 - Cluster boot partition is FULL

Good day, Anybody, know how to clean/free up the Cluster_boot partition in TRU64 Thank you in advance Miaka (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: miaka1012
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris partition in boot screen disappeared - F11??

I have a problem where I installed several OSes as partitions on one disk. And suddenly I cannot see Solaris 11.3 in the bios boot screen anymore. I have no clue why. Do anyone have a suggestion so I can dig further somewhere? I first installed Solaris 11.3. Then Windows10 (gaming). Then Linux... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kebabbert
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to boot partition from Grub Minimal_BASH?

Hi, someone knows how can I boot my OS or cdrom from a Grub Minimal_Bash? :confused: sorry, I´m a dummy I explain, when I start loading the OS, I get errors, and ends up in the grub bash. This is the minimal_bash and I have no idea of ​​any command. It tells me "unknow partition". The problem is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: veravera
0 Replies
HD(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							     HD(4)

NAME
hd - MFM/IDE hard disk devices DESCRIPTION
The hd* devices are block devices to access MFM/IDE hard disk drives in raw mode. The master drive on the primary IDE controller (major device number 3) is hda; the slave drive is hdb. The master drive of the second controller (major device number 22) is hdc and the slave hdd. General IDE block device names have the form hdX, or hdXP, where X is a letter denoting the physical drive, and P is a number denoting the partition on that physical drive. The first form, hdX, is used to address the whole drive. Partition numbers are assigned in the order the partitions are discovered, and only nonempty, nonextended partitions get a number. However, partition numbers 1-4 are given to the four partitions described in the MBR (the "primary" partitions), regardless of whether they are unused or extended. Thus, the first logi- cal partition will be hdX5. Both DOS-type partitioning and BSD-disklabel partitioning are supported. You can have at most 63 partitions on an IDE disk. For example, /dev/hda refers to all of the first IDE drive in the system; and /dev/hdb3 refers to the third DOS "primary" partition on the second one. They are typically created by: mknod -m 660 /dev/hda b 3 0 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda1 b 3 1 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda2 b 3 2 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hda8 b 3 8 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb b 3 64 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb1 b 3 65 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb2 b 3 66 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb8 b 3 72 chown root:disk /dev/hd* FILES
/dev/hd* SEE ALSO
chown(1), mknod(1), sd(4), mount(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 1992-12-17 HD(4)