Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting reading specific line from file Post 70029 by RTM on Monday 25th of April 2005 10:42:35 AM
Old 04-25-2005
Check your man page for the grep command - should have an option to print the line number that the text is in ( -n on my OS)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading specific part of file

I have a requirement to go to particular line in the file and from there read the contents till it meets a particular criteria. For eg if the contents of the file is like 81 abcd ------------------- Line 1 82 cdfe ------------------- Line 2 83 dfj ------------------- Line 3 84 df... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptan
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from a specific line in a loop

Hello All, Request you to let me know how to do the below urgently.. Requirement File A Contains: for i in file A DEV1 DEV5 STG1 STG5 File B Contains: for j in file B DEV1 DEV5 STG1 STG5 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushikraman
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading data from a specific line in a text file

hello, I have got the following problem that I am hoping someone can help with please. 1. I have got the following text file (below) , the columns data are 'Test Day', 'Board', 'Betting Number'. TEXT FILE ============================================ 1 3 02-01-27-28-29-30 0 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jermaine4ever
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading data from a specific line in a text file

Hello, I have a problem which is giving me headache for days, can some please help. Please see code and text fiel below. Please see text in red for the problem I am facing # Program gets an input x from user while read line ; do echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jermaine4ever
4 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Reading a file for specific words

Hi I have a script where the user calls it with arguments like so: ./import.sh -s DNSNAME -d DBNAME I want to check that the database entered is valid by going through a passwd.ds file and checking if the database exists there. If it doesn't, the I need to send a message to my log... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update a specific line in a file while reading sequentially

All, I know this is a very naive question but I could not find a way to get this working! I have a file with values like input.file Value1 Value2 server1/mylogin,mypasswd Value3 Value4 And in my code, I am reading the file line by line and processing it. #! /bin/ksh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath.gct
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading a specific line from a file

Hi All, I am having 100 lines a text file say a.txt. I want read the 'nth' line from that file inside a script. Kindly tell us how to that. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: boopathyvasagam
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)