Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Differences between time command and usr/bin/time Post 69988 by icedrake on Sunday 24th of April 2005 01:33:53 PM
Old 04-24-2005
Differences between time command and usr/bin/time

I wondered if someone could point out the differences between the time commmand and usr/bin/time and the accuracy one might have over another.

Also, is there a website or two a person could maybe link for me to describe the differences?

Thank you for your time.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Working out time differences

Hi everyone, I need to be able to write into a ksh script, a function that can look at 2 24 hour time variables and work out the difference between them. e.g job1 runs at 21:00 job2 runs at 01:00 diff = 04:00 hours I would also need negative numbers i.e where job1 runs after job2 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rik1551
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/usr/bin/time

thanks for your recent post. i have this command /usr/bin/time find /usr -name socket.h -print/usr/bin/time find /usr -name socket.h -print which i have ran on my personal linux machine. I dont know how to interpret this command...does it mean that find the names in the usr directory and print it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BigTool4u2
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

#!/usr/bin/ksh Command Interpreter in a sh script

Hi, I have a developer that is trying to start a script with sh "scriptname". In the script, he is specifying #!/usr/bin/ksh as the command interpreter. For some reason sh is ignoring the #!/usr/bin/ksh. We are running Solaris 8. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? Here... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckeith79
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date/time differences

A thanks to all ahead of time. I've checked previous posts about this subject and can't find any that quite fit what I need. If I've missed the post could you point me there. When I do an ls -al I get the following output: -rw-r--r-- 1 staff staff 855 July 24 20:05 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gillr
4 Replies

5. Solaris

difficult time differences

:rolleyes: Hi, How to take the time diffence between start and finish time from a log file? It is like ..... started at Jun 20 23:20 . . ..... finished at Jun 21 01:40 Tryed so many ways but failed to ger exact way. :confused: Your help will be honoured. Ta........Lokesha (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with /usr/bin/cd command

Hi , My shell script doesnt function properly while executing. My shell script has the below mentioned code in it. #!/bin/sh CD="/usr/bin/cd" .. .. $CD / .. .. main intention behind giving the $CD / is to replace the cd command with /usr/bin/cd at the time of program execution. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.amilineni
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Which package i need to install for corresponding command: /usr/bin/7za?

Hi friends, I need install a CAM on a lack package cluster Solaris 10 OS Sparc. I read the prequirements, OS is missing 2 pkgs: SUNWtcatu SUNWxwrtl I try add by a OS 10-08 CD, To install SUNWtcatu it also missing SUNWj3rt SUNWj3dev To install SUNWj3rt, it show: Cannot find required... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tien86
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

/usr/bin/time Shell Scripting Function

Hello, I have made a Linux Shell Script that downloads 6 files from the Internet and then deletes them. Now i want to use the function "/usr/bin/time" and "bc" to calculate how long the avergate run time for the shell script is. I therefore need to do it 100 times. My shell script code is below: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: solo2
6 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. SunOS 5.10 30 Aug 2004 getusershell(3C)