Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Send email to another server on AIX Post 6989 by Andy Hibbins on Monday 17th of September 2001 12:02:06 PM
Old 09-17-2001
Hi,

Do you know which smtp server you are using to send email, sendmail,postfix,qmail etc?

running "netstat -l -n -p | grep :25" as root should show if an smtp server is listening on port 25 of your machine.

If sendmail is installed, it's sendmail.cf config file will most probably be in /etc/or /etc/mail.

Alternatively you may need to use an smtp server on another machine, i.e. your internet service provider's.

Andy H Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Send email from unix (AIX) with PDF attachment

I am using the following command to send PDF attachment with a mail. uuencode <attachment.pdf> <attachment.pdf>|mailx -s <subject> <mail_id> < <Message_file.txt> This one send the message with attachment. I would like send PDF attachment with the mail Can any one help with this issue ? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunjup
0 Replies

2. AIX

how to configure server to send email in AIX

Hi, anyone can guide me how to configure server to send email in AIX. My server is in a closed network, what do I need to configure and how? SMTP gateway? mail server? Thanks and best regards Solomon (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chongkls77
4 Replies

3. AIX

how to send a file from aix to a email address?

how to send a file from aix to a email address? such as xxx@yahoo.com? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Send an email from Solaris using Linux email server

Hello everyone I have a problem and I need your help: I have a Solaris 10 and Solaris 8 UNIX Servers, and Linux Centos4 as email server. I need send an email from Solaris servers preferably using Centos4 email server. I have no mail service configured in my Solaris computers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aflores
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to send email after comparing the folder permissions to a certain permission & send email

Hello , I am trying to write a unix shell script to compare folder permission to say drwxr-x-wx and then send an email to my id in case the folders don't have the drwxr-x-wx permissions set for them . I have been trying to come up with a script for few days now , pls help me:( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nairshar
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send email from sendmail on AIX using exchange server as SMTP server

i am new in AIX i am trying to write a script to take a backup for specific files on server to and check error log if backup success send email to administrator , script done except for sending mail , i try to configure sendmail on aix to use our exchange server to send emails but still get error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmed_salah
0 Replies

7. AIX

Enable send email through smtp - exchange on AIX 6.1

Please help, i can not to send email from AIX 6.1 to outside network through STMP - Exchange. Any one can help ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ichsan
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

send email from unix server

HI Guys, I want send email from my script ..and i have tried below command still no luck. ( uuencode $Adm "Test.txt" ) | mailx -s "Test" P***.P****@at***.com mailx -s "test mail" P****.P***@at***.com < $Admin Any other option.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Possible to send an email to a Linux Server?

Hello All, I was curious if its possible to send an email (in reverse) to a linux server from an email client (like Lotus Notes, Outlook, etc...)? I know it's possible to send an email FROM a Linux Server TO a email address, but I tried to just 'reply' to the Linux Servers address that sent... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
8 Replies

10. AIX

Will it affect my AIX LPAR security, when i set up email alerts on AIX server.

Hello, I've set up email alerts on AIX Servers. so that i can get email notifications (via mail relay server) when ever there is abnormal behavior. for example 1) my script monitors CPU/disk/memory etc... when it reaches high water ark, it will send an email alert. 2) disk usage alerts 3)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies
mailstats(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      mailstats(8)

NAME
mailstats - Displays statistics about mail traffic SYNOPSIS
mailstats [-o] [-C cffile [-f stfile] FLAGS
Do not display the name of the mailer in the output. Use cffile as the name of the sendmail "cf" file instead of /var/adm/sendmail/send- mail.cf. Use stfile as the input statistics file instead of /var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.st. DESCRIPTION
The mailstats command reads the information in the /var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.st file (or in the file specified with the -f flag), formats it, and writes it to standard output. Note also that you can change the location of the sendmail.st file by editing its pathname in the sendmail.cf file. EXAMPLES
The format of the information is shown in the following example, in which the first field (M) contains a number that indicates the position of that mailer in the sendmail.cf file, starting at 0 (zero). For example, the first mailer in the sendmail.cf file corresponds to the number 0 in the mailstats display, the second mailer corresponds to the number 1, and so on. Statistics from Thu Feb 17 11:20:01 2000 M msgsfr bytes_from msgsto bytes_to msgsrej msgsdis Mailer 1 50 77K 1 3K 0 0 local 6 43 59K 58 99K 0 0 smtp ============================================================ T 93 136K 59 102K 0 0 The fields in the report have the following meanings: Indicates the position of the mailer in the sendmail.cf file. Indicates the number of messages received by the local machine from the indicated mailer. Indicates the number of bytes in the messages received by the local machine from the indicated mailer. Indicates the number of messages sent from the local machine using the indicated mailer. Indicates the number of bytes in the messages sent from the local machine using the indicated mailer. Indicates the number of rejected messages. Indicates the number of discarded messages. Indicates the name of the mailer. If sendmail transmits mail directly to a file, such as the dead.letter file or an alias target, the message and byte counts are credited to the prog mailer, as defined in the sendmail.cf file. However, mailstats will still default to var/adm/sendmail/sendmail.st. FILES
Specifies the command path Contains system statistics Contains configuration information for sendmail RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: sendmail(8) delim off mailstats(8)