Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using Variables to Set Other Variables Post 69880 by Perderabo on Thursday 21st of April 2005 08:56:15 AM
Old 04-21-2005
Not tested, but I think this will work....
Code:
#! /usr/bin/ksh
typeset -l var
LIST="Commodity Customer Department Division Order_Detail Order_Summary Witron_Forward_Pick"
for v_type in $LIST ; do
    if [ -f ${abccontrols}/${v_type}_NDM_${alt_db}_done ] ; then
                var=${v_type}_ndm_done
                eval \$$var=y
    fi
done
exit 0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to set up linux environment variables?

Hi I'm using Linux, in the directory /root/my there is a.out. but when I try to run it , the shell indicate "bash:a.out: command not found" but I AM working in this directory. if I use "./a.out" , it works perfectly. can any body tell me how to do a permanent set up so that I can use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dell9
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where are Oracle variables set in Solaris 5.9

Hi, It is solaris 5.9, and Oracle 10G is the database. If i login as user, and give 'env' command i can see the Oracle environment variables are set. PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/lib:/etc/ssh:/opt/oracle/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/bin:/opt/oracle/crs/oracle/product/10.2.0/crs_1/bin... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptlearner
1 Replies

3. AIX

How to set permanent variables

I set my TERM variable to work with SMIT and everything works fine but when I logged out and log in again I have to set the variable again. How can I set a permanent variable into the system so it will be as I wish even if a reboot is needed? I set variables this way: export VAR=value (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: agasamapetilon
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SET Command removed the variables

Hi, Im using csh and sometimes bash. I accidentally typed SET and looks like it has resetted some enviroment variables as im not able to run autosys jobs etc .. So i wanted to know how i can put it back to normal by replacing any profile files from another user or by editing the file which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spectator
2 Replies

5. SCO

Help finding where certain environment variables are set

i have two machines that should be identical but on one system there are some oracle environment (ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_HOME, etc...) variables that are not being set for the users. I am trying to find where those environment variables are being set on the system which is working properly. All... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuliksco
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with expect and set variables

I'm writing a script that'll send a time-stamp to my backup server. I create a file with the name of the current date, send it to my server with scp and rm the file from the local computer. Individually these commands work fine and with a set name the expect scripts also work fine. The problem... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ktesh564
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to SET Environment variables

Hi Could you please tell me how to set environment variables in Unix ksh. And how can acess those varibles in shell scripts ( Please give the code with an example) For my scenario. We have written number of shell scripts with hard coded username and password. But if we want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shyamu544
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set variables from file, then loop

Hello, I am very, very new to shell scripting, but what I'm attempting to do is read in a list of user ID's to create on a database system from a CSV flat file, and for each entry run the "create user" script. I've gotten pretty far but I'm having trouble with the looping mechanism.... Any... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkarren
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to set a variable name from another variables value?

Experts, I want to set value of variables like this in bash shell: i=5 ; L=100 I want variable d5 (that is d(i) ) to be assign the value of $L , d$i=$L ; echo $d5 Not working Thanks., (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Set env variables for user

Hi , I have installed oracle in Solaris machine and unable to set the env variable. I tried to put the env variable in .dtprofile file but didn't help. So everytime I login in need to run the command and export the variable. Kindly suggest where I am doing wrong.Pls excuse as I am not too... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rossdba
2 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)