Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users AIX 5.3 - There is no process to read data written to a pipe Post 69636 by vigsgb on Monday 18th of April 2005 09:39:36 AM
Old 04-18-2005
AIX 5.3 - There is no process to read data written to a pipe

I have the following code which works on AIX 4.3 but fails at times on AIX 5.3
with:

cat: 0652-054 cannot write to output. There is no process to read data written to a pipe.

Code:
validator="${validator_exe} ${validator_parms}"
               cmd_line="${CAT} ${data_file} | ${validator} 2>${validator_errors}"
               if [ "${create_new_files}" = "Y" ]
               then
                  #
                  # update the command-line to redirect the translated data to a file
                  #
                  cmd_line="${cmd_line} 1> ${new_file}"
                  print "         Input file : ${real_data_file}"
                  print "         Output file: ${new_file}"
               fi
               #
               # run the validator and save the return code
               #
               eval ${cmd_line}
               validator_rc=$?

If I switch the code to use a redirect instead of a pipe for the following line of code it works everytime.

From This:
Code:
cmd_line="${CAT} ${data_file} | ${validator} 2>${validator_errors}"

To This:
Code:
cmd_line="${validator} < ${data_file} 2>${validator_errors}"

Does anyone know anything about why this might occur. Smilie

Last edited by vigsgb; 04-18-2005 at 11:59 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

check written data

I'm using growisofs to write DVD, e.g. $ growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -V "Personal Data, `date +"%b, %d %Y"`" -R -J /mnt/d/* How can I test whether data was written correctly? md5sum or so? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hitori
0 Replies

2. Programming

How to clear the content of a pipe (STDIN) after it is written to another program?

PROGRAM A <-> PROGRAM B PROGRAM A sends data as STDIN ro PROGRAM B and when PROGRAM B is executed from PROGRAM A, it sends output back to PROGRAM A. This is implemented using 2 pipes (fd1 & fd2). The above process happens in a loop and during the second run, the previous data that had been... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvaidyan
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perform action file name written to the pipe

Hello, I have a script that monitors files uploaded via ftp. After a successful upload, the file name is written to the pipe. There is another program that reads this pipe and allows automatically run any program or script ( say test.sh ) to process the newly uploaded file. cat test.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

restrict data from getting written to Logs

$SYBASE/bin/isql -U $DB_USERID -S $DB_SERVER << ! >> $OUTFILE `echo $DB_PASSWD` use $db go Print " The processing" go ! # Extract data to file echo $DB_PASSWD | $SYBASE/bin/bcp $WRK_DB..open out $CONV_DIR/open".csv -t\, -c -U $DB_USERID -S $DB_SERVER -b 1000 | tail -3 I am able to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: w020637
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read/Search file being written to giving error due to timing issues

The following is a piece of code to rename LOG_FILE_NEW to LOG_FILE once you get a result (either RUNNING or SHUTDOWN) RESULT="" sleep 30 while ; do sleep 10 RESULT=`sed -n '/RUNNING/'p ${LOG_FILE_NEW}` if ; then RESULT=`sed -n '/SHUTTING_DOWN/'p ${LOG_FILE_NEW}` fi done mv... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonorous
3 Replies

6. AIX

Tape drive problem - no process to read data written to a pipe

Hi Everyone, The machine I'm working on is an AIX 5.3 LPAR running on a P650. oslevel -r shows 5300-08. I'm trying to take a backup to a SCSI tape drive, which has been working up until this point. I know of nothing that has changed recently to cause this problem. But when I try to take a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: need2bageek
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No process to read data written to a pipe on AIX

We use SAP application cluster on AIX. Communication between 2 of its instances is failing randomly with the following error: java.net.SocketException: There is no process to read data written to a pipe. The above error causes a cluster restart if an important communication fails. Can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RoshniMehta
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: How to read text from file and process $variable in that data too.

In the hello.htm have the sentenses: Hello $name How are you? The perl script: $name = "David"; open(HEADER,"hello.htm"); while(<HEADER>) { $html .= $_; } close(HEADER); print "$html";I making something about template. But it can't process the $name variable. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: natong
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read pipe data

Hello, I need to read the pipe data as:- cat abc.txt | uuencode abc.txt | mailx -s hi xyz@xyz.com I will override the mailx function so that when mailx is called, it calls my version of maix and in that function I want to read the file which is attached in progional mailx function- abc.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubh05
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to read a fast written log file at Real time speed?

Hello All, I am building a real time parser for a log file in my application. The log file is continuously written at a very fast pace and gets rolled over every 10 minutes. I have measured the speed and observed that around 1000 lines are written to it every second, each line about 30-40... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cool.aquarian
7 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)