Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Limiting length of user in while creating user Post 69482 by Satya Mishra on Friday 15th of April 2005 02:40:42 AM
Old 04-15-2005
Hi Kduffin,

This is related to minlen for password of user but like password i want to define the length of user also.so that we define the length of user as well

any adeas regarding this please let me know

Thanks in Advance
Satya

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating a new user

i just installed netBSD, and i want to know how to create a new user account. i understand that netBSD doesn't come with the tools to do that, so i downloaded a user utility (mebbe i'm wrong about netBSD) but the problem is, i don't know how to read files off floppy disks. (i'm quite new to unix)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Newbie4ever
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a fixed length output from a variable length input

Is there a command that sets a variable length? I have a input of a variable length field but my output for that field needs to be set to 32 char. Is there such a command? I am on a sun box running ksh Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r1500
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating a new user

I have AIX 5.1 I have created a user manually in the /etc directory. Then I created his home directory "mkdir /home/fharvey" then I changed ownership "chown fharvey /home/fharvey" set his password "passwd fharvey" When I log in as him I get "user is required to change password. "when I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocker40
7 Replies

4. AIX

Is the Length of User ID for AIX Limit to 8 Characters?

Hi, I'm using AIX version 5.3 currently. I'm trying to create a user id, e.g. andyleong, which the system prompted the length is too long. 1. I would like to know is that the length of user id is limited to maximum 8 characters for AIX. 2. Is it apply to all versions of AIX? If no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meihua_t
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

limiting data inputs for the user

if my user has to enter the name of months to carry out a search how can I limit the input values to only the month names and nothing else? so far my input criteria for the user is this: i would like it so the user can only enter the months in the way i have stated. otherwise they would... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: amatuer_lee_3
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limiting User mailbox size in /var/spool

How can one limit the size of user mailboxes in /var/spool/mail? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Determining if user is local-user in /etc/passwd or LDAP user

Besides doing some shell-script which loops through /etc/passwd, I was wondering if there was some command that would tell me, like an enhanced version of getent. The Operating system is Solaris 10 (recent-ish revision) using Sun DS for LDAP. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
5 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Limiting a user to a script upon login, nothing else.

Hi there, I have a Debian 5.0 server that my company uses for deployment testing. This server needs to be accessed by NOC people that have no NIX knowledge whatsoever. I am creating a bash script for a menu-based command interface for the commands they need to run on their testing routines,... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppucci
21 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the user input in perl for characters and length

My question is basically as the title says. How can I check a user inputted string is only certain characters long (for example, 3 characters long) and how do I check a user inputted string only contains certain characters (for example, it should only contain the characters 'u', 'a', 'g', and 'c')... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eric1
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Prevent user from creating new user from his login

Hi Experts, Need your support Redhat 6.5 I want to create a user with all(read, write, execute) privileges except that user should not be able to create any new user from his login to perform any task. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: as7951
10 Replies
ftpconfig(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     ftpconfig(1M)

NAME
ftpconfig - set up anonymous FTP SYNOPSIS
ftpconfig [ftpdir] ftpconfig -d ftpdir DESCRIPTION
The ftpconfig script is executed by the super user to set up anonymous FTP. Anonymous FTP allows users to remotely log on to the FTP server by specifying the user name ftp or anonymous and the user's email address as password. The anonymous users are logged on to the FTP Server and given access to a restricted file area with its own file system root. See chroot(2). The FTP area has its own minimal system files. This command will copy and set up all the components needed to operate an anonymous FTP server, including creating the ftp user account, creating device nodes, copying /usr/lib files, and copying timezone data. The passwd and group files set up have been stripped down to prevent malicious users from finding login names on the server. The anonymous file area will be placed under ftpdir. If the ftp user account already exists, then the current FTP area is used, and the system files in it are updated. All other files are left untouched. This command should be run to update the anonymous FTP area's configuration whenever a system patch is installed, or the system is upgraded. OPTIONS
-d Create a new or update an existing ftpdir without creating or updating the ftp user account. Use this option when creating guest FTP user accounts. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: ftpdir The absolute pathname of the directory under which the anonymous FTP area is set up. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion 1 Improper usage of the command 2 Command failed ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWftpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ftpaddhost(1M), in.ftpd(1M), useradd(1M), chroot(2), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 May 2003 ftpconfig(1M)