Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: PERL: Trapping EXIT
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting PERL: Trapping EXIT Post 69178 by cbkihong on Tuesday 12th of April 2005 08:18:37 PM
Old 04-12-2005
FYI, if you need to trap normal exit (including die()s, not triggered by OS signals), you may be able to use an END {} block, which is best for normal cleanups.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I find a list of exit codes? (Exit code 64)

I'm receiving an exit code 64 in our batch scheduler (BMC product control-m) executing a PERL script on UX-HP. Can you tell me where I can find a list of exit codes and their meaning. I'm assuming the exit code is from the Unix operating system not PERL. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkuchar747
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get exit status codes in bash from Perl?

I apologize if I have already posted this query. I scanned back quite a few pages but could not find such a query. If my perl code contains "exit(33)" how can I get that value in bash for use in a "if" statement. Thanks, Siegfried (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit ststus 9 from perl system command

HI all, can anyone tell me what does exit status 9 from perl's system function meant. I am using system fuction to execute a shell script as : my $s=system ('script.sh' ,arg1 ,arg2); print $s; the output is 9. Thanks in advance. !!:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glamo_2312
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl how to exit a while loop and quit reading the input file

I am reading a file using While loop while <FILE> { $_ = <FILE>; process data... } I would like to quit reading the file once I encounter a String pattern. How do i do it. is it if (/SUMMARY/) { last; } I am having problems with uninitialized value in pattern... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subhap
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trapping exit and continuing

Hello I need to source a script. But that script terminates with a trailing exit. Which exits my script. I'm using bash, and this doesn't work: trap 'echo disabled' EXIT source other_file trap '' EXIT Instead, it calls my trap, but then exits anyway. I could get disgusting and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brsett
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl | catching the letter 'Q' for exit.

Hi all, I made a simple script with a prompt menu in Perl. All working good, but I want to add an option while the program is running that on every time when the user press 'Q' the program will exit. I know I can use $SIG{'INT'} or any other %SIG option. This option is a unix signal which I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedGrinGo
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Question Grep and exit status

Im being forced to write in perl. I prefer KSH or Expect, so I suppose its time to become more fluent with perl. I have the following problem. I want to loop through Filea and check that each line in Filea is resident in Fileb. Filea contents two four six eight houseboat Fileb... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumguy
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture the exit code of a shell script in a perl script.?

hi, i want to pop up an alert box using perl script. my requirement is. i am using a html page which calls a perl script. this perl script calls a shell script.. after the shell script ends its execution, i am using exit 0 to terminate the shell script successfully and exit 1 to terminate the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Perl, Deep recursion? exit() ignored?

Hi all, I am calling a subroutine which checks if a log file is writeable and if not, prints something stdout and also log something into the same file, which doesn't work neither of course. Anyway, there is enough exit() calls, that should stop it working, but the problem is, that I get the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaxxon
5 Replies

10. Programming

Perl: trap signal 'exit': why I am not able to have it work??

First time trying to work with signals in Perl. Reviewing example I try it, but not able to get it work for 'exit'. I hope, I am correct, assuming, that the ending any code by exit $return_code; the $SIG{EXIT} should be de-referenced and processed?! So, I have such code, that, I assume,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
5 Replies
sigtrap(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      sigtrap(3pm)

NAME
sigtrap - Perl pragma to enable simple signal handling SYNOPSIS
use sigtrap; use sigtrap qw(stack-trace old-interface-signals); # equivalent use sigtrap qw(BUS SEGV PIPE ABRT); use sigtrap qw(die INT QUIT); use sigtrap qw(die normal-signals); use sigtrap qw(die untrapped normal-signals); use sigtrap qw(die untrapped normal-signals stack-trace any error-signals); use sigtrap 'handler' => &my_handler, 'normal-signals'; use sigtrap qw(handler my_handler normal-signals stack-trace error-signals); DESCRIPTION
The sigtrap pragma is a simple interface to installing signal handlers. You can have it install one of two handlers supplied by sigtrap itself (one which provides a Perl stack trace and one which simply "die()"s), or alternately you can supply your own handler for it to install. It can be told only to install a handler for signals which are either untrapped or ignored. It has a couple of lists of signals to trap, plus you can supply your own list of signals. The arguments passed to the "use" statement which invokes sigtrap are processed in order. When a signal name or the name of one of sigtrap's signal lists is encountered a handler is immediately installed, when an option is encountered it affects subsequently installed handlers. OPTIONS
SIGNAL HANDLERS These options affect which handler will be used for subsequently installed signals. stack-trace The handler used for subsequently installed signals outputs a Perl stack trace to STDERR and then tries to dump core. This is the default signal handler. die The handler used for subsequently installed signals calls "die" (actually "croak") with a message indicating which signal was caught. handler your-handler your-handler will be used as the handler for subsequently installed signals. your-handler can be any value which is valid as an assignment to an element of %SIG. See perlvar for examples of handler functions. SIGNAL LISTS sigtrap has a few built-in lists of signals to trap. They are: normal-signals These are the signals which a program might normally expect to encounter and which by default cause it to terminate. They are HUP, INT, PIPE and TERM. error-signals These signals usually indicate a serious problem with the Perl interpreter or with your script. They are ABRT, BUS, EMT, FPE, ILL, QUIT, SEGV, SYS and TRAP. old-interface-signals These are the signals which were trapped by default by the old sigtrap interface, they are ABRT, BUS, EMT, FPE, ILL, PIPE, QUIT, SEGV, SYS, TERM, and TRAP. If no signals or signals lists are passed to sigtrap, this list is used. For each of these three lists, the collection of signals set to be trapped is checked before trapping; if your architecture does not implement a particular signal, it will not be trapped but rather silently ignored. OTHER untrapped This token tells sigtrap to install handlers only for subsequently listed signals which aren't already trapped or ignored. any This token tells sigtrap to install handlers for all subsequently listed signals. This is the default behavior. signal Any argument which looks like a signal name (that is, "/^[A-Z][A-Z0-9]*$/") indicates that sigtrap should install a handler for that name. number Require that at least version number of sigtrap is being used. EXAMPLES
Provide a stack trace for the old-interface-signals: use sigtrap; Ditto: use sigtrap qw(stack-trace old-interface-signals); Provide a stack trace on the 4 listed signals only: use sigtrap qw(BUS SEGV PIPE ABRT); Die on INT or QUIT: use sigtrap qw(die INT QUIT); Die on HUP, INT, PIPE or TERM: use sigtrap qw(die normal-signals); Die on HUP, INT, PIPE or TERM, except don't change the behavior for signals which are already trapped or ignored: use sigtrap qw(die untrapped normal-signals); Die on receipt one of an of the normal-signals which is currently untrapped, provide a stack trace on receipt of any of the error-signals: use sigtrap qw(die untrapped normal-signals stack-trace any error-signals); Install my_handler() as the handler for the normal-signals: use sigtrap 'handler', &my_handler, 'normal-signals'; Install my_handler() as the handler for the normal-signals, provide a Perl stack trace on receipt of one of the error-signals: use sigtrap qw(handler my_handler normal-signals stack-trace error-signals); perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 sigtrap(3pm)