Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Meta Devices
Operating Systems Solaris Meta Devices Post 69114 by ozzmosiz on Tuesday 12th of April 2005 04:27:12 AM
Old 04-12-2005
ok, I followed those instructions pretty much but it still adds meta devices for my / /var /export partitions, even though they are not mirrored. I'm confused why it is doing this. I assume I should not edit the md.conf file manually

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passthrough devices vs. named devices

I am having trouble understanding the difference between a passthrough device and a named device and when you would use one or the other to access equipment. As an example, we have a tape library and giving the command "camcontrol devlist" gives the following output: akx# camcontrol... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thumper
1 Replies

2. Solaris

What is Meta Database ?

Hi Guys, what is a meta file system ? what is it use for? What is /etc/vfstab? What is the relationship between the "vfstab file and meta file system. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tlee
1 Replies

3. Solaris

What is Meta Database ?

Hi Guys, what is a meta file system ? what is it use for? What is /etc/vfstab? What is the relationship between the "vfstab file and meta file system. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlee
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i use shell meta characters like * ,$ <,> ?

hey guys!! please tell me ...how can i use shell meta characters like * ,$ <,> etc in command line in command line arguments literally please reply soon ..its urgent!!!! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tprayush
8 Replies

5. Solaris

Meta Devices and Mirroring

So I decided to set up Metadevices with Mirroring. When I patch, is it possible just to break the mirror, patch, Reboot. If all is well, then restore the mirror and resync? Is metadevices equipped to resync like that? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelsin
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Meta Devices ( Metadb )

Hi All, I have two disks which has been configured for RAID 1 Already. I am adding more 6 disks in the system and I am configuring RAID 1 for all. So in this case should , how should i create a metadb . Thanks and Regards Rj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Meta charcters

Find out lines in a given file consisting of the following pattern BCAA, BCAAA, BCAAAA, BCAAAAA, BCAAAAAA (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phaneendra G
0 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Meta charcters

find out lines in a given file consisting of the following pattern BCAA, BCAAA, BCAAAA, BCAAAAA, BCAAAAAA (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Phaneendra G
1 Replies
devfs(7FS)                                                         File Systems                                                         devfs(7FS)

NAME
devfs - Devices file system DESCRIPTION
The devfs filesystem manages a name space of all devices under the Solaris operating environment and is mounted during boot on the /devices name space. The /devices name space is dynamic and reflects the current state of accessible devices under the Solaris operating environment. The names of all attached device instances are present under /devices. The content under /devices is under the exclusive control of the devfs filesystem and cannot be changed. The system may be configured to include a device in one of two ways: By means of dynamic reconfiguration (DR), using, for example, cfgadm(1M). For devices driven by driver.conf(4) enumeration, edit the driver.conf file to add a new entry, then use update_drv(1M) to cause the system to re-read the driver.conf file and thereby enumerate the instance. The device may be attached through a number of system calls and programs, including open(2), stat(2) and ls(1). During device attach, the device driver typically creates minor nodes corresponding to the device via ddi_create_minor_node(9F). If the attach is successful, one or more minor nodes referring to the device are created under /devices. Operations like mknod(2), mkdir(2) and creat(2) are not supported in /devices. FILES
/devices Mount point for devfs file system SEE ALSO
devfsadm(1M), vfstab(4), attach(9E) NOTES
The /devices name space cannot be unmounted. All content at or below the /devices name space is an implementation artifact and subject to incompatible change or removal without notifi- cation. SunOS 5.10 26 Oct 2004 devfs(7FS)