Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Loops within loops
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Loops within loops Post 68741 by bthomas on Wednesday 6th of April 2005 03:07:46 PM
Old 04-06-2005
Sorry my script had tabs and it didn't retain them when I pasted in. I hope it is not too hard to read.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

loops?

hello....very new user to unix...and i have a question..i am not sure if there is such a thing For example...the user is asked if he likes Bananas....if he says yes.... echo You like Bananas $name at the end of the script it echos all that the user has entered so they can read it.... but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jonas27
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

While Loops

I'm trying to create a loop that will prompt the user for 15 values, not forcing them to enter all 15. If the user enters through one or more of the prompts the null value needs to be converted to 0, otherwise set the parameter = to the value entered: ex. Please enter file no #1: 17920 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vdc
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

two loops

Hi, how can I use "for" to have two loops : this is my script : for i in (A B C) do for j in (a b c) do echo $i$j done done #End I want to print out Aa Ab Ac .... But I have error message : syntax error at line 1 : `(' unexpected Many thanks before. How should I use "for" ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loops

Hi I've a file like so: Now, I want to read my file and take ex. the Media ID and the Type for each groups of Media (Media1,Media2,...,Media(n): cat /tmp/file|\ while read FILE do while $(FILE|cut -d: -f1)=Media$i do #here will be some test, ex: #if Media ID < 23 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nymus7
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with While Loops

I am traversing down a list, and I am not quite sure how to tell the loop to break when it's done going through the file. #!/bin/sh while : do read list <&3 echo $list done is the code. The file "list" is simply 5 4 3 2 1 any advice on how to break the loop after the file is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MaestroRage
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with the 2 for loops

#!/bin/bash IFS=$'\n' A= a c b t g j i e d B= t y u i o p counter=0 found="" for i in $(cat $A) do for j in $(cat $B) do if then found="yes" fi done if then (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vadharah
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loops

Hi All, I want to execute a script the number of times a user enters. Please can you advise on hor can I do the same. Many Thanks, Shazin (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shazin
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

loops with tr

Hello, I'm not sure if this is more appropriate for the 'unix for dummies' or the 'unix for experts' forum because I'm new to this forum and this is the second topic I've discussed, but if you could let me know which one was more appropriate for something like this, please do! So in tr (an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: juliette salexa
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with loops?

I'm trying to understand better the while and until loops, can someone help me with this example? #!/bin/bash # Listing the planets. for planet in Mercury Venus Earth Mars Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune Pluto do echo $planet # Each planet on a separate line. done echo; echo for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jose2802
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with for loops

Why wont my for statements work? Im trying to get this script to swich to a user an if you put in a start/stop/or restart paramater to do just that for each user. I commented out the actual start/stop actions to test it just by using echos and not do anything hasty in the environment but it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LilyClaro
0 Replies
tabs(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   tabs(1)

NAME
tabs - set tabs on a terminal SYNOPSIS
tabs [-v[n]] [-ahuUV] file... DESCRIPTION
The tabs program clears and sets tab-stops on the terminal. This uses the terminfo clear_all_tabs and set_tab capabilities. If either is absent, tabs is unable to clear/set tab-stops. The terminal should be configured to use hard tabs, e.g., stty tab0 OPTIONS
General Options -Tname Tell tabs which terminal type to use. If this option is not given, tabs will use the $TERM environment variable. If that is not set, it will use the ansi+tabs entry. -d The debugging option shows a ruler line, followed by two data lines. The first data line shows the expected tab-stops marked with asterisks. The second data line shows the actual tab-stops, marked with asterisks. -n This option tells tabs to check the options and run any debugging option, but not to modify the terminal settings. The tabs program processes a single list of tab stops. The last option to be processed which defines a list is the one that determines the list to be processed. Implicit Lists Use a single number as an option, e.g., "-5" to set tabs at the given interval (in this case 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, etc.). Tabs are repeated up to the right margin of the screen. Use "-0" to clear all tabs. Use "-8" to set tabs to the standard interval. Explicit Lists An explicit list can be defined after the options (this does not use a "-"). The values in the list must be in increasing numeric order, and greater than zero. They are separated by a comma or a blank, for example, tabs 1,6,11,16,21 tabs 1 6 11 16 21 Use a '+' to treat a number as an increment relative to the previous value, e.g., tabs 1,+5,+5,+5,+5 which is equivalent to the 1,6,11,16,21 example. Predefined Tab-Stops X/Open defines several predefined lists of tab stops. -a Assembler, IBM S/370, first format -a2 Assembler, IBM S/370, second format -c COBOL, normal format -c2 COBOL compact format -c3 COBOL compact format extended -f FORTRAN -p PL/I -s SNOBOL -u UNIVAC 1100 Assembler PORTABILITY
X/Open describes a +m option, to set a terminal's left-margin. Very few of the entries in the terminal database provide this capability. The -d (debug) and -n (no-op) options are extensions not provided by other implementations. Documentation for other implementations states that there is a limit on the number of tab stops. While some terminals may not accept an arbitrary number of tab stops, this implementation will attempt to set tab stops up to the right margin of the screen, if the given list happens to be that long. SEE ALSO
tset(1), infocmp(1M), curses(3X), terminfo(5). This describes ncurses version 5.9 (patch 20130511). tabs(1)