Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rearranging fields from a pipe Post 68490 by Ygor on Monday 4th of April 2005 09:20:48 PM
Old 04-04-2005
Perhaps just use awk like this...
Code:
awk '/value/ {print substr($0,91,8) substr($0,33,6) etc}' infile > outfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trimming fields for comma or pipe seperated file

I have file like this FileA: abc , "helloworld" , america def,asia, japan ghi, africa, ipl Output Needed: abc,"helloworld",america def,asia,japan ghi,africa,ipl I would like to implement using awk. I want to trim each field for its leading and trailing spaces. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rearranging columns

Hi, I have an input file as follows : input.txt abcdTXXqwe axdfSYYrew dasgTXXqwt gtfsTYYwer gadfSXXerw gwerSYYTXX Now I have to get four output files. output1.txt should have the first four cloumns, Where the rows containing 5th column as T and 6th-7th columns as XX output2.txt... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rearranging whole columns

Hello all, I have a text file that is arranged: name 3 7 2 9 5 jim a d e g k max d g u x g rob f w v k o This is just an example as my real file has >1000 individuals and >64,000 columns. I need to rearrange the file so that the columns appear in numerical order so that name... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: doobedoo
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Large pipe delimited file that I need to add CR/LF every n fields

I have a large flat file with variable length fields that are pipe delimited. The file has no new line or CR/LF characters to indicate a new record. I need to parse the file and after some number of fields, I need to insert a CR/LF to start the next record. Input file ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clintrpeterson
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rearranging

Hello, I spent all day trying to write a script and cannot find the solution :( I have plenty files looking like this: several hundred lines precede the following interesting Bla xxx: Blub = -7537.37687 Blub = -100.644746 Blub = -3247.61954 . . . Blub = 1324.82567 Blub =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tempestas
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rearranging into new columns (awk?)

Hi experts, I've used several solutions from this forum to delete nonsense and rearrange data in the project file I'm working on. I'm hoping you guys can give me some tips on further rearranging the data (I've seen a few solutions by searching, but one specific item has me stumped, which is only... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: coryvp
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting and rearranging the rows

Hi, I have a file that I re-arranged using awk and unix commands to produce a file that looks like this: JOE JOE JOE JOE JOE BOB BOB HI HI HI I want to count how many of the same rows there are and print it on the second column while only maintaining the original name once. The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with rearranging file with script

Hi Guys I normally do thins with a Windows program but I am trying to rearrange a filename based on delimiters in Ubuntu. Example v017 __ Detective Academy Q #133 Murder in the Village Of Suspension Bridges &&& Part 9.cbz = Detective Academy Q v017 #133 Murder in the Village Of Suspension... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: itschrisonline
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rearranging Data Set

Hello everybody, I've got the following problem: The data set I have is an ASCII file containing a header over 4 lines and the actual data comprised of dezimal numbers in a 1000x1000 grid (1000 lines and 1000 columns). Since I want to plot the data in GMT I need to convert it into the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Evilknievel
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Rearranging the column

I have a text file like this, I would like to rearrange the first column (Name) according to the third column(percentage)in descending order. I mean methionine with the highest percentage should be the first one to appear under the name column. But I also want to exclude the headers from this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cathum
2 Replies
FIFO(7) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   FIFO(7)

NAME
fifo - first-in first-out special file, named pipe DESCRIPTION
A FIFO special file (a named pipe) is similar to a pipe, except that it is accessed as part of the file system. It can be opened by multi- ple processes for reading or writing. When processes are exchanging data via the FIFO, the kernel passes all data internally without writ- ing it to the file system. Thus, the FIFO special file has no contents on the file system; the file system entry merely serves as a refer- ence point so that processes can access the pipe using a name in the file system. The kernel maintains exactly one pipe object for each FIFO special file that is opened by at least one process. The FIFO must be opened on both ends (reading and writing) before data can be passed. Normally, opening the FIFO blocks until the other end is opened also. A process can open a FIFO in nonblocking mode. In this case, opening for read only will succeed even if no-one has opened on the write side yet, opening for write only will fail with ENXIO (no such device or address) unless the other end has already been opened. Under Linux, opening a FIFO for read and write will succeed both in blocking and nonblocking mode. POSIX leaves this behavior undefined. This can be used to open a FIFO for writing while there are no readers available. A process that uses both ends of the connection in order to communicate with itself should be very careful to avoid deadlocks. NOTES
When a process tries to write to a FIFO that is not opened for read on the other side, the process is sent a SIGPIPE signal. FIFO special files can be created by mkfifo(3), and are indicated by ls -l with the file type 'p'. SEE ALSO
mkfifo(1), open(2), pipe(2), sigaction(2), signal(2), socketpair(2), mkfifo(3), pipe(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-12-03 FIFO(7)