Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: silent telnet
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers silent telnet Post 6849 by cgardiner on Thursday 13th of September 2001 02:33:26 PM
Old 09-13-2001
Data silent telnet

I have been using the following code for sending out an email from a AIX UNIX platform.

cat filename | telnet mailhost 25 >/dev/null

Time to time I get a message

loopback: A specified file does not support the ioctl system call.

Can anyone tell me what this means? I need this function to be silent or it will be a problem since it is a cron task.

Is mpack an answer?.. this file is not an attachment. The file is in HTML format with MIME headers.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

SFTP silent login

Hi, I am connecting via SFTP to a remote Server. My problem is on trying to LOGin, I am asked for a password. I need to make this process automatic such that I can login without being prompted for a password. I can achieve this if the remote server has a simple FTP server and not SFTP. How... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgaucho
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Silent Input

I would like to use the WWW::Mechanize module to access a webpage that is password-protected. I was wondering if there was a way to make the input silent when asked from the script. For example: What is your password: <password> Where <password> is where you put your password, but is silent... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eightysix
2 Replies

3. Linux

Wine in silent mode

I want to run through wine the utorrent and I don't want the messages that are usually displayed in the console, so I use the following command wine utorrent.exe > /dev/null & but it doesn't seem to work. Especially the redirection of the messages to the /dev/null doesn't work at all. Do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: myle
1 Replies

4. Linux

How to do a silent installation on linux

Hi, I am trying to do a silent installation of a JDk on a linux machine. Can anyone give me a command that would do it for me. Thanx Sundeep (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Silent Background Process

I run a background process using '&'. (see example below) How can I suppress the '&' messages that are written to my console?? (lines 2 and 5) Current Output... 1 > ak@LATU ~> ls & 2 > 4000 3 > ak@LATU ~> 4 > apps/ dl/ gems/ todo/ tst/ util/ 5 > + Done ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andy210
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

FreeBSD silent port upgrade

I am using either portupgrade (/usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portupgrade) or portmaster (/usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster) to upgrade the ports on the FreeBSD machines. However, this upgrade is not silent. Can anyone tell me how to make the upgrade silent? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a script in silent mode

Hi All, I have a script which calls some other scripts.. When i run the parent script all the status messages are displaying on terminal. I want to know how to suppress dem... or run a script in silent mode Thanks, Firestar (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

silent telnet and ssh using perl

Hi Experts, I use perl telnet and ssh for normal tasks and health checks. everything works fine but i would like to run scripts silently and print only data as i wish to. by silent i mean.no banners /no prompts/ nothing. I will format data before i print it on screen. just formatted... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mtomar
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

silent Input in PERL

Hello Experts, I am learning perl. I know ksh/bash/csh... In ksh I use to do this way... to read user input in silent mode so that nothing returns on the screen. stty -echo read -r pswd stty echo Please let me know the way in perl how to do it. Here are my OS and Perl Details... ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: explorer007
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

OSX read silent with prompt

A minor nitpick, but I cannot get a statement like: read -s -n 1 -p "Say Y or N here" -e ANS to actually hush the response. If I don't use the -p option, the response is silent. With it, I always see the response, and I've tried putting the -s in different spots. Is this a known issue, or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnojr
2 Replies
telnetrc(4)							   File Formats 						       telnetrc(4)

NAME
telnetrc - file for telnet default options DESCRIPTION
The .telnetrc file contains commands that are executed when a connection is established on a per-host basis. Each line in the file con- tains a host name, one or more spaces or tabs, and a telnet(1) command. The host name, DEFAULT, matches all hosts. Lines beginning with the pound sign (#) are interpreted as comments and therefore ignored. telnet(1) commands are case-insensitive to the contents of the .telnetrc file. The .telnetrc file is retrieved from each user's HOME directory. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample file. In the following example, a .telnetrc file executes the telnet(1) command, toggle: weirdhost toggle crmod # Always export $PRINTER DEFAULT environ export PRINTER The lines in this file indicate that the toggle argument crmod, whose default value is "off" (or FALSE), should be enabled when connecting to the system weirdhost. In addition, the value of the environment variable PRINTER should be exported to all systems. In this case, the DEFAULT keyword is used in place of the host name. FILES
$HOME/.telnetrc SEE ALSO
telnet(1), in.telnetd(1M), environ(5) SunOS 5.10 9 Jan 1998 telnetrc(4)