Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Setuid root and chown
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Setuid root and chown Post 68242 by johnmsucpe on Friday 1st of April 2005 05:48:23 PM
Old 04-01-2005
Setuid root and chown

I am trying to run chown and chmod from a script owned by root. The permissions are set to 4755 so that users can execute the script as root. However, when I run the script as a user other than root, I get "Operation not permitted" for both chown and chmod. Any ideas as to why this is?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

setuid

I have a C wrapper programme which basically execute a shell script. The shell script has 700 as permission and oracle is owner of the shell script. The C execuatble has 4711 permission so that means that it has setuid bit set and group and others can execute the C executable. The reason why I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Setuid Program with (-rwsr-sr-x 1 root other ) UID/EUID issue

Hi, I have a program with the following suid setup -rwsr-sr-x 1 root other 653 Aug 16 17:00 restart_server It basically starts up a service that has to be started by root. I just want the normal users to be able to restart the service using the script above. But when the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setuid

could u plz give me clear idea of spcial permissions setuid,getuid and striky bit . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prem
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown -R under root directory

Hi I executed command "chown -R xxx:xxx /" with user root... and it was too late when I found the mistake. Ownership of some files under the root directory had already become xxx:xxx. Is there a way that can recovery the ownership of all my files back to the point where they were? I really thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: password636
2 Replies

5. AIX

sudo must be setuid root.

Guy's I'm trying to add some lines in sudo by useing this command visudo # User privilege specification root ALL=(ALL) ALL # Uncomment to allow people in group wheel to run all commands # %wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL # Same thing without a password # %wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL #... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown: Operation not permitted as root

Hi Expert, I am trying to change ownership of one file to another user that is exist in the system but getting operation not permitted error what could be the correct way? # ls -lh .Xauthority_ori -rw------- 1 maxim atlas 2.8K Jul 27 17:18 .Xauthority_ori # id -a uid=0(root)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: regmaster
8 Replies

7. Solaris

Need help with setuid.

Hi Gurus, I need your suggestions,to implement setuid. Here is the situation. I have a user xyz on a solaris zone.He needs to install a package using a pkgadd command but i guess only a root can run that .Is there any way I can set the setuid bit on the pkgadd which is in the location... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Find and Chown all files in a DIR except for Root

RHEL 6.3 Could someone tell me how to use the find and chown command to replace all files in a directory owned by user1 (for this example) and replace with user1:group1? Most importantly I dont want to change any files owned by root. I recently used the following command but it changed the root... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gps1976
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What keeps me from abusing setuid(0) and programs with setuid bit set?

Just learning about the privilege escalation method provided by setuid. Correct me if I am wrong but what it does is change the uid of the current process to whatever uid I set. Right ? So what stops me from writing my own C program and calling setuid(0) within it and gaining root privileges ? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
2 Replies
CHOWN(3)								 1								  CHOWN(3)

chown - Changes file owner

SYNOPSIS
bool chown (string $filename, mixed $user) DESCRIPTION
Attempts to change the owner of the file $filename to user $user. Only the superuser may change the owner of a file. PARAMETERS
o $filename - Path to the file. o $user - A user name or number. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Simple chown(3) usage <?php // File name and username to use $file_name= "foo.php"; $path = "/home/sites/php.net/public_html/sandbox/" . $file_name ; $user_name = "root"; // Set the user chown($path, $user_name); // Check the result $stat = stat($path); print_r(posix_getpwuid($stat['uid'])); ?> The above example will output something similar to: Array ( [name] => root [passwd] => x [uid] => 0 [gid] => 0 [gecos] => root [dir] => /root [shell] => /bin/bash ) NOTES
Note This function will not work on remote files as the file to be examined must be accessible via the server's filesystem. Note When safe mode is enabled, PHP checks whether the files or directories being operated upon have the same UID (owner) as the script that is being executed. SEE ALSO
chmod(3), chgrp(3). PHP Documentation Group CHOWN(3)