Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris UNIX Printer Setup
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Solaris UNIX Printer Setup Post 6811 by Neo on Wednesday 12th of September 2001 08:56:09 PM
Old 09-12-2001
/etc/printcap

Try looking into the structure and syntax of the /etc/printcap file to get started on a solution.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP-UX printer setup

Hi, not entirely sure if this should be here or IP networking for dummies... I am trying to set up a new printer remotely (large office). The people at the other end have no problems printing to it from a Microsoft environment (Word, Excel, etc). However, they are unable to print to it from Unix... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ypnos
4 Replies

2. IP Networking

printer port setup

Does anybody know how to add a printer from network in Solaris 10 using IP settings? according to our IT support, in order to add this printer in Windows XP we introduce it as a local printer which is connected to a port with an IP address, like 128.79.44.110. Anyway I don't know how it can be done... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arash05
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Printer Setup

How do you add a HP network printer on a Sun Solaris Unix box? I have the IP address of the printer. I try using the admintool tool, but am confusing about setup the printer to connect to the IP address... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: racquetbal
4 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

printer/filter setup

trying to get my laserjet to print under FC5. Got APSFILTER; what to answer to question 'parallel or serial printer port when it is USB? Do I need an updated filter software? I tried 'parallel', get 'permission denied when I try lp or lpr command- thanks- Marshall (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blann
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 8 setup remote printer queue help

I am trying to setup a remote printer (home users printer) through Solaris 8. The IP address is 172.16.17.10 and I can ping the printer, a local windows printer queue has been setup and works but now I am trying to setup a remote Unix printer queue. With this being a remote printer, do I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miredale
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Setup HP Cp3505n printer with Solaris 10

Please someone help me to setup HP Cp3505n running with Solaris 10. Thanks so much! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Caktus
3 Replies

7. Linux

Printer Setup(s)

I'm so frustrated. I have almost no experience with setting up printers and networking through Linux. That being said, I need some help. In fact, I don't even know if this setup is possible, and for all I know, I might need a Window's solution. I'm a hardcore Linux guy, so talk to me that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: drewrockshard
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Create Unix printer in sun Solaris

Guy's Can anyone explain how to Create Unix printer in Solaris what's the exact steps to create Unix direct printer ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.AIX
3 Replies

9. IP Networking

Remote printer setup on solaris 10 host

Hi All, I am trying setup a remote printer on a solaris 10 server. The printer is online and working fine is solaris 8. I have added the pritner to /etc/hosts file and /etc/printers.conf ... I need to know followings: 1. How do I find the default pritner port on the old solaris machine... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohullah
0 Replies

10. Hardware

Printer Setup

Hi, I have set up an HP printer, model 2300, on an Integrity server sunning on HP-Ux B.11.31 using the Jetdirect Printer Installer For Unix, version E.10.34. This particular printer is printing the same job multiple times and I cannot figur out why that is. Is ther perhaps a flag in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Koketso
1 Replies
TESTPRNS(1)															       TESTPRNS(1)

NAME
testprns - check printer name for validity with smbd SYNOPSIS
testprns printername [ printcapname ] DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the Samba suite. testprns is a very simple test program to determine whether a given printer name is valid for use in a service to be provided by smbd(8) "Valid" in this context means "can be found in the printcap specified". This program is very stupid - so stupid in fact that it would be wisest to always specify the printcap file to use. OPTIONS
printername The printer name to validate. Printer names are taken from the first field in each record in the printcap file, single printer names and sets of aliases separated by vertical bars ("|") are recognized. Note that no validation or checking of the printcap syntax is done beyond that required to extract the printer name. It may be that the print spooling system is more forgiving or less forgiving than testprns. However, if testprns finds the printer then smbd should do so as well. printcapname This is the name of the printcap file within which to search for the given printer name. If no printcap name is specified testprns will attempt to scan the printcap file name specified at compile time. FILES
/etc/printcap This is usually the default printcap file to scan. See printcap (5). DIAGNOSTICS
If a printer is found to be valid, the message "Printer name <printername> is valid" will be displayed. If a printer is found to be invalid, the message "Printer name <printername> is not valid" will be displayed. All messages that would normally be logged during operation of the Samba daemons are logged by this program to the file test.log in the current directory. The program runs at debuglevel 3, so quite extensive logging information is written. The log should be checked carefully for errors and warnings. Other messages are self-explanatory. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 2.2 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
printcap(5), smbd(8) smbclient(1) AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The original Samba man pages were written by Karl Auer. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/ <URL:ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/>) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter 19 November 2002 TESTPRNS(1)