Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting two lines into one colon separated line... Post 68028 by tonlu on Wednesday 30th of March 2005 09:08:37 AM
Old 03-30-2005
two lines into one colon separated line...

Does anyone know how to get these two output lines into one colon ':' separated line with some unix command? Maybe nawk. I've tried to read the nawk and awk man pages but I don't get it right. Are these commands the one to use?

Output from find command:
#
/sw/tools/matlab/7.0.1/man
/sw/tools/gnat/5.01a/man
#

I would like to get it like this:

/sw/tools/matlab/7.0.1/man:/sw/tools/gnat/5.01a/man

Is awk the command to pipe the output to, and if so, how can I solve this?

Thanks to You that replys...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate lines in a single '|' separated line

Hi I have a file with contents like china india france japan italy germany . . . . etc.... I want the output as china|india|france|japan|italy|germany|.|.|. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hidnana
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running multiple commands stored as a semi-colon separated string

Hi, Is there a way in Korn Shell that I can run multiple commands stored as a semi-colon separated string, e.g., # vs="echo a; echo b;" # $vs a; echo b; I want to be able to store commands in a variable, then run all of it once and pipe the whole output to another program without using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: svhyd
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print pipe separated list as line by line in Korn Shell

Korn Shell in AIX 6.1 I want to print the below shown pipe (|) separated list line by line. line=es349889|nhb882309|ts00293|snh03524|bg578835|bg37900|rnh00297|py882201|sg175883 for i in line do echo "Hello $line " done I wanted to execute the above for loop. But i can't even set the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: polavan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort a column in UNIX that is colon separated ":" ?

Experts, how to sort this fields with numerical order : -How to use the sort command in this case, I was thinking with -k but it is not working, lan5000 lan5000:1 lan5000:10 lan5000:11 lan5000:12 lan5000:13 lan5000:14 lan5000:15 lan5000:16 lan5000:17 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk :help to parse a file to change to separated by colon ":"

Hi experts , I am trying to get the below output: file : 0/6/4/1 0x0019503C2E26 5 UP lan5 snap5 1 ETHER Yes 224 0/6/4/0 0x0019503C2E25 6 UP lan6 snap6 2 ETHER Yes 224 0/2/1/0 0x0019503E6900 0 UP lan0 snap0 3 ETHER Yes 224... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count lines separated by new line

Hi guys, I have a file which has random records like mentioned below emcpower28a pci@3,03 (disk physical name) pci@3,04 emcpower9a pci@1,03 pci@2,03 pci@3,01 pci@4,03 there could be any number of disk names for any LUN (emc...) So, I want a solution to count disk names for its... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant2507198
12 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

C++ Attempting to modify this function to read from a (;) semi-colon-separated file

After some thought. I am uncomfortable issuing my professors name where, there may be unintended side effects from any negative responses/feedback. Willing to re post if I can omit school / professor publicly, but can message moderator for validation? I am here for knowledge and understanding,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining multiple block of lines in one comma separated line

Hi Everyone, On my Linux box I have a text file having block of few lines and this block lines separated by one blank line. I would like to format and print these lines in such a way that this entire block of lines will come as single comma separated line & again next block of lines in next... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk colon separated items

Hi, I need to filter my data based on items in column 23. Column 1 until column 23 are tab separated. This is how column 23 looks like: PRIMARY=<0/1:504:499,5:.:.:.:0.01:1:15:.> I want to extract lines if items 7 (separated by : ) in column 23 are more than 0.25 . In example above , item... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: janshamsani
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all lines without a trailing semi colon

shell : bash os : RHEL 7.2 I have a file like below 61265388 1-11Y5C-7690 1-11Y4Q-6763 INSERT INTO emp VALUES('oramds:test.xref','CBS_01','MIGWO161265388','61265388','N',SYSDATE); INSERT INTO emp VALUES('oramds:test.xref','COMMON','MIGWO161265388','MIG1COMMON61265388','N',SYSDATE);... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
3 Replies
ucblinks(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					      ucblinks(1B)

NAME
ucblinks - adds /dev entries to give SunOS 4.x compatible names to SunOS 5.x devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ucblinks [-e rulebase] [-r rootdir] DESCRIPTION
ucblinks creates symbolic links under the /dev directory for devices whose SunOS 5.x names differ from their SunOS 4.x names. Where possi- ble, these symbolic links point to the device's SunOS 5.x name rather than to the actual /devices entry. ucblinks does not remove unneeded compatibility links; these must be removed by hand. ucblinks should be called each time the system is reconfiguration-booted, after any new SunOS 5.x links that are needed have been created, since the reconfiguration may have resulted in more compatibility names being needed. In releases prior to SunOS 5.4, ucblinks used a nawk rule-base to construct the SunOS 4.x compatible names. ucblinks no longer uses nawk for the default operation, although nawk rule-bases can still be specifed with the -e option. The nawk rule-base equivalent to the SunOS 5.4 default operation can be found in /usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk. OPTIONS
-e rulebase Specify rulebase as the file containing nawk(1) pattern-action statements. -r rootdir Specify rootdir as the directory under which dev and devices will be found, rather than the standard root directory /. FILES
/usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk sample rule-base for compatibility links ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
devlinks(1M), disks(1M), ports(1M), tapes(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 13 Apr 1994 ucblinks(1B)