Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers korn shellscript execution context - exit statement Post 67973 by bhargav on Tuesday 29th of March 2005 11:44:44 PM
Old 03-30-2005
remove 'exit' from the script and try.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Exit codes in Korn shell

Hi, Can anyone give me the explanation for the exit codes 1 and 127 returned from Korn shell. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miltony
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

korn shell to bash - statement not working

Everything else seems to be working, but this isn't. Is it the "cat..." that is wrong of the condition? Thanks. cat tc_result.txt | while read LINE do if then let "files_run += 1"; echo "inside the if loop" # save current filetype case $LINE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: brdholman
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn Shell Script help required during execution...

Hi, The following Korne Shell script does not give any syntax errors but the following while running. Request you to please let me know, how can I define the variables viz.:- listDbs and getkey here, inorder to remove the error. 1) $ ksh -n setAlias $ 2) $ ksh -x setAlias +... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using 'diff' exit status in an if statement

is there a way to compare two files using diff (ex: diff 1.txt 2.txt) in an if statement? I read that the exit status of diff is 0 if the files contain the same content. 1 if they're different. So what I am attempting is basically: if ; then echo "they're the same" else ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SoVi3t
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If statement for substring within string (korn)

Hi all, Just looking for a simple if statement that searches for a substring within a varaible, and then performs some function. Problem is that I need it to work in Korn shell $var = *string* does not work in Korn i="xxxxxx00.00yyyyy.zzzzz" want to find 00.00 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgrosecl
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ctrl+c statement in shellscript

Hi, I run the below commands manually without shellscript. After that i enter one tuple contains some 4-5 fields . sbc -p 40000 enq siOrInput id parentid sybol avg quantity price after entering the first command i pass the tuples to that command. It automatically... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problem with the FTP shellscript

Hi Friends I am new to the shell script and i have a script which will connect to server enviornment which will read a file and will FTP to an another server location. But while executing this script FTP transfer is not occuring. But when I enter in FTP mode I am able to transfer the file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kannannair
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Korn Shell execution

There are two Korn Shell scripts : script_1.ksh ( located in /home/dir1 ) script_2.ksh ( located in /home/dir2 ) Content of script_2.ksh is #!/usr/bin/ksh echo "Hello world.." The script_2.ksh is called from within script_1.ksh using the following command : ./home/dir2/script_2.ksh but... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn shell script - SQL statement challenges

Hi scripting experts. I have some coding challenges that I'm hoping you can help me out. I have one file#1 that contains the following sql statement that spans over multiple lines: sql Select /*+ use_has(a,b) */ * from customer a, customer_address b where a.id = b.id... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pchang
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use exit status of two commands in if statement ?

I am trying to write a shell script, which looks like #!/usr/bin/env bash #set -e RED="`tput setaf 1`" GREEN="`tput setaf 2`" BLUE="`tput setaf 4`" NORM="`tput sgr0`" pushd ${MY_GIT_TOP}/body/Ue/test >/dev/null #MY_GIT_TOP is set my by gitenv make test_trinity_svp pushd... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
8 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)