Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Raid control vs scsi for operating system Post 6792 by patvdv on Wednesday 12th of September 2001 04:05:56 PM
Old 09-12-2001
Protection

Obviously, RAID is there to protect you from disasters. The various RAID levels present you each a mix of disk space and safety level. If the server is critical I would definatively recommend RAID 1 (mirror disks) on the core OS components.

Upgrading to RAID afterwards will greatly depend on the RAID HW and OS. But usually you have an exhaustive list of 'RAID migration' paths and surely going from no RAID to RAID 1 should be possible.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix operating system

hi I am trying to install solaris 8 on intel machine(intel300 mhz,32 mg ram,3.2 hd,24x cd-rom). hardware scaning is ok. Then it ask to enter choice for interactive installation #1 for web #2. After i enter chice system reboot agian and it takes to same screne. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neer45
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operating System

Which is much more powerful as an operating system: 1. Windows 2000 2. Windows 98 3. Windows XP 4. Windows ME 5. Unix 6. Linux and why is it much more powerful than the other operating systems that i have mentioned. thanks for your info... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alecks1975
1 Replies

3. SCO

ultra 320 scsi raid controller driver for sco 5.0.6

I am facing a problem to install sco 5.0.6 in Dell Power Edge SC1420 which raid controller is ultra 320 scsi raid controller . how/from where to download the ultra 320 scsi raid controller driver for sco 5.0.6. Plz help with any idea karzon (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karzon
1 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Operating system LINUX

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a C program that accepts 3 parameters. Each parameter indicates the quantity of product to be produced.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: paradise
0 Replies

5. AIX

SCSI PCI - X RAID Controller card RAID 5 AIX Disks disappeared

Hello, I have a scsi pci x raid controller card on which I had created a disk array of 3 disks when I type lspv ; I used to see 3 physical disks ( two local disks and one raid 5 disk ) suddenly the raid 5 disk array disappeared ; so the hardware engineer thought the problem was with SCSI... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Best Operating System

Hello All, I want to install Linux on my machine, so please tell me one thing which is the best to install- 1.)Red Hat 2.)Cent OS 3.)Red Hat 4.)Ubuntu 5.)Fedora except that if there is any please tell me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What's my Operating System

Can we know the operating given the IP address or DNS of the host. All I have is file://myserver/myapp (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

RAID Configuration for IBM Serveraid-7k SCSI RAID Controller

Hello, I want to delete a RAID configuration an old server has. Since i haven't the chance to work with the specific raid controller in the past can you please help me how to perform the configuraiton? I downloaded IBM ServeRAID Support CD but i wasn't able to configure the video card so i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
0 Replies

9. Android

Android (operating system)

From Wikipedia (FYI): (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

10. UNIX and Linux Applications

Pick Operating System

Anyone know anything about "Advanced Plus Operating Environment". Preferably release 10 Revision 522Gcd probably dated 2003. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
4 Replies
scsi-spin(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      scsi-spin(8)

NAME
scsi-spin - spin up and down a SCSI device SYNOPSIS
scsi-spin [-options...] [device] DESCRIPTION
scsi-spin let the user to manually spin up and down a SCSI device. This command is particularly useful if you've got noisy (or hot) drives in a machine that you rarely need to access. This is not the same as the kernel patch that's floating around that will automatically spin down the drive after some time. scsi-spin is completely manual, and spinning down a drive that's in use, especially the one containing the scsi-spin binary, is probably a really bad idea. To avoid running in trouble with such cases, scsi-spin verifies that the device to work on is not currently in use by scanning the mounted file system description file for a partition living on it and issue an error if this the case. OPTIONS
-u, --up spin up device. -d, --down spin down device. -e, --loej load or eject medium from drive (use along with -u or -d ) -w, --wait=[n] wait up to n seconds for the spin up/down command to complete. Default is to return immediately after the command was sent to the device. Either repeat -w n times or set n to define the time to wait before to report a timeout. -l, --lock prevent removal of medium from device. -L, --unlock allow removal of medium from device. -I, --oldioctl use legacy ioctl interface instead of SG_IO to dialog with device (could not be supported on all platforms). -e and -w are not allowed with this option. -v, --verbose=[n] verbose mode. Either repeat -v or set n accordingly to increase verbosity. 1 is verbose, 2 is debug (dump SCSI commands and Sense buffer). -f, --force force spinning up/down the device even if it is in use. -n, --noact do nothing but check if the device is in use. -p, --proc use /proc/mounts instead of /etc/mtab to determine if the device is in use or not. device the device is any name in the filesystem which points to a SCSI block device (sd, scd) or generic SCSI device (sg). See section below. SCSI devices naming convention Old kernel naming convention It is typically /dev/sd[a-z] , /dev/scd[0-9]* or /dev/sg[0-9]*. scsidev naming convention It is typically /dev/scsi/s[rdg]h[0-9]*-e????c?i?l? or /dev/scsi/<aliasname>. devfs naming convention It is typically /dev/scsi/host[0-9]/bus[0-9]/target[0-9]/lun[0-9]/disc (same for cd and generic devices) or short name /dev/sd/c[0-9]b[0-9]t[0-9]u[0-9] when devfsd "new compatibility entries" naming scheme is enabled. SEE ALSO
scsiinfo(8), sg_start(8), sd(4), proc(5), AUTHORS
Eric Delaunay <delaunay@debian.org>, 2001 Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>, 1998 03 September 2001 scsi-spin(8)