Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users help on find with chmod.. urgent help needed Post 67862 by sdlayeeq on Monday 28th of March 2005 10:05:41 PM
Old 03-28-2005
MySQL I need to chmod directories and validate the user of the script.

Thanks borg for the reply, The task given to me is to chmod directories files, and I am looking for alternate ways of doing that. I am also looking to validate if the person executing the command does have the permission to that, then execute the command.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

urgent help needed !!

i have a script, which is continuously looping. i want to view the script name when i use ps command... it is only showing -sh ... UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME COMMAND informix 8533 20923 0 18:19:28 pts/ta 0:00 -sh but i dont have my scriptname displayed .... how can i do that my script is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: guhas
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

urgent help needed.

Ok I admit it I am stumped and I would appreciate any and all help Here is what I am trying to do. Korn Shell script I am setting a variable to another shell script that I want to invoke in my main script like so: GETDIR=/vol100/cfg/.getdir The .getdir shell script take a parameter,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Batch
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

FIND/CHMOD combined

I am trying to change permission for all subdirectories and files inside folder1 so this is what i came with after many seraches on the internet. man find and man chmod mirc and few articles. find .public_html/folder1 -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 777 what's wrong with this command? it is FTP... (33 Replies)
Discussion started by: smoother
33 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Urgent XP help needed Please

Hi, Please accept my apologies if I have not explained anything clearly enough but i am a little old on new lingo!!! I am running XP from home and last night the following happened. After being logged on for pretty much the full day, I had what seemed like a pop up come up. Although most pop... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nike1601
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Urgent help needed!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- hy guys, i got few interview questions i need someone to answer urgently: 1)If you cant get to the root, you try to fsck it, but gets errors to read file systems. What steps do you take to recover the host... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: charneet
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent Help Needed.

Hi, Below is my issue which I desperately need and I want a shell script which can do this job. I need this script as I m planning to put this for a system health check. Please assist me. 1. There are 10 log files in a particular location. 2. open each log file. Goto to the end of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kashriram
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent Help needed please

Hi, I have a small grepping problem in my script.I am having a file from which i need to make sure "#^A17" is the last updation (Next # can be ignored) before ################.The idea behind this is, if this file contains "A17" as the last updation, i need to do a particular activity. please... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and automatically chmod

Hello everyone, my friend is asking for yOur Help. He is asking the script for combined find and changemode utility... Thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iennetastic
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent Help needed !!!

Hi, I have a directory, where i get 4 files for each day... The files will be generated at any time. I am trying for a shell script for copying the file from this directory whenever new file is generated. Say for example : If the directory X has following files A1,A2,A3,A4,B1,B2,B3,B4...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishh.kk
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent Help needed...

Hi I want to create a script which deleted files in the following folders older than 30 days. There are a particular version of files inside it to be deleted Folders : /files0/interfaces/ResponsysSavedList/BackInStock/EmailContent/backup... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scudza
3 Replies
mktrashcan(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mktrashcan(1)

NAME
mktrashcan, rmtrashcan, shtrashcan - Attaches, detaches, or shows a trashcan directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mktrashcan trashcan directory... /usr/sbin/rmtrashcan directory... /usr/sbin/shtrashcan directory... OPERANDS
Specifies the directory that contains files that were deleted from attached directories. Whenever you delete a file in the specified directory, the file system automatically moves the file to the trashcan directory. Specifies the directory that you attach to a trashcan directory. DESCRIPTION
The trashcan utilities (mktrashcan and rmtrashcan) enable you to attach or detach an existing directory, which you specify as a trashcan directory, to any number of directories within the same fileset. A trashcan directory stores the files that are deleted with the unlink system call. For instance, you can use the mktrashcan utility to attach a trashcan directory called /usr/trashcan to one or more directories; thereafter, when you delete a file from one of the attached directories, the file system moves the file to the /usr/trashcan directory. Note that when more than one directory shares attachment to a trashcan directory, files with the same file name can overwrite each other in the trashcan directory. If you mistakenly delete a file, use the mv command to return the file from the /usr/trashcan directory to its original directory. When you enter shtrashcan at the system prompt, the system shows the trashcan directory, if one exists, for the directory you specified. It is important that trashcan directories have correct access permissions. If the permissions are too restrictive, then it may be impossi- ble to remove files from the directories that are attached to the trashcan directory. In general, all users and groups that expect to use the trashcan directory need write permission to the directory. If unexpected "permission denied" errors occur when deleting files that are in a directory attached to a trashcan directory, use the chmod command to change the permissions on the trashcan directory. RESTRICTIONS
The directory and trashcan directories must be in the same fileset; however, you can attach the trashcan directory to any directory within the fileset. EXAMPLES
The following example creates and attaches a trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to two directories, /usr/ray and /usr/projects/sql/test, which are in the same fileset. The chmod command adds write permission for all users and groups on the new trashcan directory. % mkdir /usr/trashcan % chmod a+w /usr/trashcan % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/ray /usr/projects/sql/test To attach the trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to all subdirectories in the /usr directory, enter: % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/* New subdirectories that you add beneath the /usr directory are not attached to the trashcan directory until you attach them. Also, the mktrashcan utility distinguishes between directories and files, attaching only directories to the trashcan directory. Note that an attached directory produces an EDUPLICATE_DIRS (-1165) error when /usr/trashcan is itself in the directory path you attach to (as in the previous example). You can ignore this error message. SEE ALSO
advfs(4), mkfset(8), showfsets(8) mktrashcan(1)