Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unable to get a login shell
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unable to get a login shell Post 678 by 98_1LE on Saturday 6th of January 2001 11:36:59 PM
Old 01-07-2001
The fix is somewhat awkward but not very hard. Commands are bold and include the prompt for reference. From memory;

Put your Solaris 2.6 CD in and boot off the cd:
ok boot cdrom
You can get the ok prompt by pressing stop & a simultaneously

Go through the installer and answer all the questions (don't worry, we aren't installing/deleting anything). When you get near the end it will give you the option to EXIT (maybe CANCEL). Do this. Don't worry too much about answering any of the questions properly, just don't click FINISH. The last question asks if you want to auto-reboot or manual-reboot after installation. If you get this far go back. This will drop you on a root shell in the upper right corner. The mouse pointer must be in this window for you to type.
Depending on how your disk is partitioned you may need to mount /etc. Do this only if you cannot open /etc/passwd
# mount /etc
You may need to replace /etc with the device

Edit the password file and make sure the path is correct
# vi /etc/passwd

Bounce the system
# reboot

I hope this helps.
-Chuck

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unable to login HELP!!!

Hi, I have installed for the first time sun solaris on my pc and I am trying to learn unix. I created a new user using the following steps: -create a new group : groupadd work -created a new user: useradd -g work -d /export/home -s /usr/bin/ksh gbruno (i checked the path of the shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giulianob
3 Replies

2. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Unable to login

Hi Admin/Moderator, I am unable to login with my user id "chanakyahere", even it is not accepting my mail id to which i got one reply aso.. it is saying that i suppied "mail id that is not recognised".. please look forward regarding this problem.. i joined on last saturday i.e on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chanakya
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX Unable to Login

Was OK on AIX5.2. Have installed AIX 5.3 ML02 and now only root can log in. Other users get "You are not allowed to login at this time." Once in as root, it's possible to su or 'su -' to other users. All user parameters are OK. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: skinthegoat
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Unable to login

Hi, I am doing Active Directory(Win 2008) and UNIX(Solaris 10) integration. I was unable to create home directory for the Active Directory users on the first login. So i added other session required pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel umask=0022 to pam.conf in /etc/pam.conf. But now I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathya47
2 Replies

5. Solaris

unable to login Solaris 10

I have inherited a solaris 10 server. I went to log into it the other day over the console connection, and after sucessfully entering the password, I was booted back to the login prompt with no errors visible. If I enter an incorect password, the console displays 'incorrect password' and kicks... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sol-nova
8 Replies

6. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Unable to login

Hi, It has been a while since I logged into Unix.com and I have forgotten my userID and password. Please help. Thanks, Ananth. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Unregistered
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Unable to login after patching

Hello, Sorry for posting here..i know there is another section for Urgent...However, i could not locate it... Issue: ) After patching rhel 5.8 with couple of patches. When user is trying to login via putty . They get login promt and when they type their username, screen get freezed kindaa... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
3 Replies

8. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Unable to see my threads when i login

Hello, Is there a way to display all of the posts I have authored? Many thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anamika08
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script as login shell (passing args to login shell)

Hello all, for security reasons my compagny imposes that my script be launch remotly via ssh under the users login shell. So serverA launches the ssh command to serverB which has a local user with my script as a login shell. Local script works like a charm on his own. serverB$ grep... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick72
20 Replies

10. Solaris

Unable to login with any user

Hi Please I need help on trying to login on a solaris 10, blade server. login as: root Using keyboard-interactive authentication. Password: I even try a normal user, I do not get the prompt. I suspect the reason could be that /varis at 98% because I have configure email alerts to warn me... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
9 Replies
HALT(8) 						Linux System Administrator's Manual						   HALT(8)

NAME
halt, reboot, poweroff - stop the system. SYNOPSIS
/sbin/halt [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] [-p] [-h] /sbin/reboot [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] /sbin/poweroff [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] [-h] DESCRIPTION
halt notes that the system is being brought down in the file /var/log/wtmp, and then either tells the kernel to halt, reboot or power-off the system. If halt or reboot is called when the system is not in runlevel 0 or 6, in other words when it's running normally, shutdown will be invoked instead (with the -h or -r flag). For more info see the shutdown(8) manpage. The rest of this manpage describes the behaviour in runlevels 0 and 6, that is when the systems shutdown scripts are being run. OPTIONS
-n Don't sync before reboot or halt. Note that the kernel and storage drivers may still sync. This implies -d. -w Don't actually reboot or halt but only write the wtmp record (in the /var/log/wtmp file). -d Don't write the wtmp record. -f Force halt or reboot, don't call shutdown(8). -i Shut down all network interfaces just before halt or reboot. -h Put all hard drives on the system in stand-by mode just before halt or power-off. -p When halting the system, switch off the power. This is the default when halt is called as poweroff. DIAGNOSTICS
If you're not the superuser, you will get the message `must be superuser'. NOTES
Under older sysvinit releases , reboot and halt should never be called directly. From release 2.74 on halt and reboot invoke shutdown(8) if the system is not in runlevel 0 or 6. This means that if halt or reboot cannot find out the current runlevel (for example, when /var/run/utmp hasn't been initialized correctly) shutdown will be called, which might not be what you want. Use the -f flag if you want to do a hard halt or reboot. The -h flag puts all hard disks in standby mode just before halt or power-off. Right now this is only implemented for IDE drives. A side effect of putting the drive in stand-by mode is that the write cache on the disk is flushed. This is important for IDE drives, since the kernel doesn't flush the write cache itself before power-off. The halt program uses /proc/ide/hd* to find all IDE disk devices, which means that /proc needs to be mounted when halt or poweroff is called or the -h switch will do nothing. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8) Nov 6, 2001 HALT(8)