Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unable to get a login shell
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unable to get a login shell Post 677 by pradeepks on Saturday 6th of January 2001 11:11:54 PM
Old 01-07-2001
Network

I have started using SunOS 5.6 as an administrator. By mistake I changed the default shell entry for root in /etc/passwd file to /bin/ksh. Since there is no such shell available in the bin directory, I am not able to log on to the system.(This happens even in the console)

The error is - no shell.

Can anyone help me

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unable to login HELP!!!

Hi, I have installed for the first time sun solaris on my pc and I am trying to learn unix. I created a new user using the following steps: -create a new group : groupadd work -created a new user: useradd -g work -d /export/home -s /usr/bin/ksh gbruno (i checked the path of the shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: giulianob
3 Replies

2. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Unable to login

Hi Admin/Moderator, I am unable to login with my user id "chanakyahere", even it is not accepting my mail id to which i got one reply aso.. it is saying that i suppied "mail id that is not recognised".. please look forward regarding this problem.. i joined on last saturday i.e on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chanakya
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX Unable to Login

Was OK on AIX5.2. Have installed AIX 5.3 ML02 and now only root can log in. Other users get "You are not allowed to login at this time." Once in as root, it's possible to su or 'su -' to other users. All user parameters are OK. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: skinthegoat
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Unable to login

Hi, I am doing Active Directory(Win 2008) and UNIX(Solaris 10) integration. I was unable to create home directory for the Active Directory users on the first login. So i added other session required pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel umask=0022 to pam.conf in /etc/pam.conf. But now I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathya47
2 Replies

5. Solaris

unable to login Solaris 10

I have inherited a solaris 10 server. I went to log into it the other day over the console connection, and after sucessfully entering the password, I was booted back to the login prompt with no errors visible. If I enter an incorect password, the console displays 'incorrect password' and kicks... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sol-nova
8 Replies

6. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Unable to login

Hi, It has been a while since I logged into Unix.com and I have forgotten my userID and password. Please help. Thanks, Ananth. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Unregistered
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Unable to login after patching

Hello, Sorry for posting here..i know there is another section for Urgent...However, i could not locate it... Issue: ) After patching rhel 5.8 with couple of patches. When user is trying to login via putty . They get login promt and when they type their username, screen get freezed kindaa... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
3 Replies

8. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Unable to see my threads when i login

Hello, Is there a way to display all of the posts I have authored? Many thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anamika08
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script as login shell (passing args to login shell)

Hello all, for security reasons my compagny imposes that my script be launch remotly via ssh under the users login shell. So serverA launches the ssh command to serverB which has a local user with my script as a login shell. Local script works like a charm on his own. serverB$ grep... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick72
20 Replies

10. Solaris

Unable to login with any user

Hi Please I need help on trying to login on a solaris 10, blade server. login as: root Using keyboard-interactive authentication. Password: I even try a normal user, I do not get the prompt. I suspect the reason could be that /varis at 98% because I have configure email alerts to warn me... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
9 Replies
d_passwd(4)							   File Formats 						       d_passwd(4)

NAME
d_passwd - dial-up password file SYNOPSIS
/etc/d_passwd DESCRIPTION
A dial-up password is an additional password required of users who access the computer through a modem or dial-up port. The correct pass- word must be entered before the user is granted access to the computer. d_passwd is an ASCII file which contains a list of executable programs (typically shells) that require a dial-up password and the associ- ated encrypted passwords. When a user attempts to log in on any of the ports listed in the dialups file (see dialups(4)), the login program looks at the user's login entry stored in the passwd file (see passwd(4)), and compares the login shell field to the entries in d_passwd. These entries determine whether the user will be required to supply a dial-up password. Each entry in d_passwd is a single line of the form: login-shell:password: where login-shell The name of the login program that will require an additional dial-up password. password An encrypted password. Users accessing the computer through a dial-up port or modem using login-shell will be required to enter this password before gaining access to the computer. d_passwd should be owned by the root user and the root group. The file should have read and write permissions for the owner (root) only. If the user's login program in the passwd file is not found in d_passwd or if the login shell field in passwd is empty, the user must sup- ply the default password. The default password is the entry for /usr/bin/sh. If d_passwd has no entry for /usr/bin/sh, then those users whose login shell field in passwd is empty or does not match any entry in d_passwd will not be prompted for a dial-up password. Dial-up logins are disabled if d_passwd has only the following entry: /usr/bin/sh:*: EXAMPLES
Example 1: Sample d_passwd file. Here is a sample d_passwd file: /usr/lib/uucp/uucico:q.mJzTnu8icF0: /usr/bin/csh:6k/7KCFRPNVXg: /usr/bin/ksh:9df/FDf.4jkRt: /usr/bin/sh:41FuGVzGcDJlw: Generating An Encrypted Password The passwd (see passwd(1)) utility can be used to generate the encrypted password for each login program. passwd generates encrypted pass- words for users and places the password in the shadow (see shadow(4)) file. Passwords for the d_passwd file will need to be generated by first adding a temporary user id using useradd (see useradd(1M)), and then using passwd(1) to generate the desired password in the shadow file. Once the encrypted version of the password has been created, it can be copied to the d_passwd file. For example: 1. Type useradd tempuser and press Return. This creates a user named tempuser. 2. Type passwd tempuser and press Return. This creates an encrypted password for tempuser and places it in the shadow file. 3. Find the entry for tempuser in the shadow file and copy the encrypted password to the desired entry in the d_passwd file. 4. Type userdel tempuser and press Return to delete tempuser. These steps must be executed as the root user. FILES
/etc/d_passwd dial-up password file /etc/dialups list of dial-up ports requiring dial-up passwords /etc/passwd password file /etc/shadow shadow password file SEE ALSO
passwd(1), useradd(1M), dialups(4), passwd(4), shadow(4) WARNINGS
When creating a new dial-up password, be sure to remain logged in on at least one terminal while testing the new password. This ensures that there is an available terminal from which you can correct any mistakes that were made when the new password was added. SunOS 5.10 2 Sep 2004 d_passwd(4)