Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: process time
Top Forums Programming process time Post 6764 by LivinFree on Wednesday 12th of September 2001 04:13:19 AM
Old 09-12-2001
If it's something you are running manually, or from a script, you can simply use the time command! For example:

time sleep 2

real 0m2.009s
user 0m0.000s
sys 0m0.000s

So, in actuality, It took a total of 2.009 seconds of my time to watch this command complete. But, as you can see, it used virtually no processing time.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

get process start time

Hi all, I like to know how can I get currenlty running process start time and date , I know only porcess id in solaris and hp-ux and what is command to get same using ps with switch. Thanks Naeem (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naeem ahmad
1 Replies

2. Solaris

what time did my process die ??

Hi there I have a backup script that runs every night and for some reason ive been getting in in the morning and the process has died, Is there any way I can tell when it died? if not .....would anybody recommend some scripting that i could do that would be able to tell me this information ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
3 Replies

3. Programming

Time taken by a child process?

Hi, I have a program where I fork few child jobs and call execvp to run another jobs. I use wait to wait for any job to get complete. Requirement is I need to know the actual time taken by child job during execution. I thought of calculating the time just before forking and after wait, but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjul_thegreat
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to Decrease priority of a particular process in time of process creation

how to decrease priority of a particular process in time of process creation... and also how to decrease priority of a particular process after process creation.. can any one please help me out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramkum
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process one line at a time

Guys, I've written the following to proces one line at a time and then process individual column within the line.. But it works only when there is one line. I know awk will simply fetch multiple lines when run against a file with many lines. How do i achieve this ? cat ${PARFILE} |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamathg
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process accounting and Shell process time

Hi All, I am running the following accounting on one of my executable, $ accton /home/myexe-acct $ ./myexe $ accton When I check the process timings I get the below result, Shell process time: 300ms myexe time: 100ms I want to know on why the shell(sh) process is taking so much time... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: santoshbr4
1 Replies

7. Linux

Process start time not showing correct time

Process start time is not showing the correct time: I had started a process on Jun 17th at 23:30:00. Next day morning when I run the command "ps -ef | grep mq", the process is showing the start date of Jun 17th but the start time is 00:16:41 Day/Date is setup correctly on the server. It... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangjani
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get process's time value

Hi, I'm trying to learn csh so I've started to do some simple scrips. Now I'm kinda stuck in this one: I want to do a script that first search, for each user, if there's at least a process with a TIME >= something (30 mins, for example). There are 2 things that I cant figure out: - in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GarFunkel
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate time difference between start and end time of a process!

Hello All, I have a problem calculating the time difference between start and end timings...! the timings are given by 24hr format.. Start Date : 08/05/10 12:55 End Date : 08/09/10 06:50 above values are in mm/dd/yy hh:mm format. Now the thing is, 7th(08/07/10) and... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
16 Replies

10. Solaris

process CPU time

We are using JAVA program and strange thing is it takes 100% CPU when not in use. The program function is to stream a file on output port (one direction). It checks one directory and when there is a file in it, starts. While it is streaming the CPU usage is normal, about 20%. But, if... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
9 Replies
serialize(2)							System Calls Manual						      serialize(2)

NAME
serialize() - force target process to run serially with other processes SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The system call is used to force the target process referenced by the pid value passed in to run serially with other processes also marked for serialization. If the value of pid is zero, then the currently running process is marked for serialization. Once a process has been marked by the process stays marked until process completion, unless is reissued on the serialized process with timeshare set to 1. If timeshare is set to 1, the process specified in pid will be returned to normal timeshare scheduling algorithms. This call is used to improve process throughput since process throughput usually increases for large processes when they are executed seri- ally instead of allowing each program to run for only a short period of time. By running large processes one at a time, the system makes more efficient use of the CPU as well as system memory, since each process does not end up constantly faulting in its working set, to only have the pages stolen when another process starts running. As long as there is enough memory in the system, processes marked by behave no differently from other processes in the system. However, once memory becomes tight, processes marked by are run one at a time with the highest priority processes being run first. Each process runs for a finite interval of time before another serialized process is allowed to run. RETURN VALUE
returns zero upon successful completion, or nonzero if the system call failed. ERRORS
If fails, it sets (see errno(2)) to the following value: The pid passed in does not exist. WARNINGS
The user has no way of forcing an execution order on serialized processes. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
serialize(1), privileges(5). serialize(2)