Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Environmental Variables - where stored ? Post 67262 by blowtorch on Tuesday 22nd of March 2005 05:01:26 AM
Old 03-22-2005
All environment variables are maintained only in memory. To have certain environment variables set upon login, you would have to maintain the same in specific files.

Depending on the shell that you are using to login, you would have to set the path the appropriate file in your home directory.
For csh/tcsh, the file would be .login which is sourced by the login shell, while for sh/bash (and probably ksh) the .profile is used.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix passing environmental Variables

In my script when I change an env variable in the parent shell it is only changed for that session - it there away to change it permanently using a script so that when I use rlogin (create a child session) that the env variable is set correctly? Basically what I am trying to do is to pass a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: belfastbelle
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Escaping special character stored in variables : perl

Hi just for regular use i m working on small module written in perl for getting date in specified format like i have to specify date format and then seperator to seperate date i am 95% done. now i m sure explanation i gave is not good enough so i am putting output here : C:\Documents and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedex
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oracle Query results to be stored in variables

Hi I would like to know if there is a way to just have one ORACLE connection established, using which we can execute different queries and store the results under different variables. For e.g the following uses to two silent ORACLE connection to store the result under two different... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashokjaysiv
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

stored procoedure bind variables in shell

Hi , I have a pl/sql procedure which takes its input from a shell script, and deletes rows from db table based on the input. I've dbms_output.put_line statments in procedure which i want to capture and display in the script for example, if no rows have been deleted, i have to stop executing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: justchill
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] command line substitution with environmental variables

Hi, I'm using an array that contains compiler FLAGS that need to be executed either before ./configure or after the main 'make' command. example of array containing compiler flags. ------------------------------------------------- FLAGS="CFLAGS=\"-arch x86_64 -g -Os -pipe... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ASGR
7 Replies

6. AIX

Best way to setup my own environmental variables ?

I am writing a few korn scripts to be used by all our operators on several 4.1/4.2 AIX servers. I want to create environmental variables that once set, can be read/modified by my scripts (ex: specific folders, file names, conventions, general values, ...). I thought this would be better then... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oracle environmental variables in shells script

Hi, Getting below error on executing the shell script which initiates sqlplus How to set oracle enviornment variables in the shell script ? With Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with manipulating environmental variables in UNIX

I am wondering if there is away to increment a date in c shell. What I need to do is basic, but I lack the knowledge. I have they following environmental variable in my job scripts setenv YYYY `date '+%Y'` I then set YYYY to be part of my output dataset name: setenv dd_OUTPUTP... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
1 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Don't understand the practical difference between command aliases and environmental variables

Hey, I'm recently learning Unix from the video course by Kevin Scoglund. I'm stuck at the moment where he goes into Environmenat variables. I have some issues with understanding what's the essential difference between EV and command aliases: for instance, by writing the command alias ll='ls... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

<< Environmental Variables are not set when script completes >>

Hi Team, I have a wrapper script which i have pasted below, it internally calls one python script to generate Environmental in a file called /home/oracle/myenv.sh, when i execute this script via wrapper script, its not reflecting in my current session, still showing old env variables. any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamauv234
2 Replies
envconfig(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      envconfig(8)

NAME
envconfig - Configures the Environmental Monitoring daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/envconfig -c var=value /usr/sbin/envconfig start | stop /usr/sbin/envconfig -q OPTIONS
Environmental Monitoring provides a means of detecting system threshold conditions, that if exceeded, could result in a loss of data or damage to the system itself. To detect and notify users of critical conditions, the envmond daemon is used. This utility, envconfig, is used to customize the envmond daemon. This section describes the envconfig options you can use to configure the daemon. Sets the vari- ables that specify how the system environment is monitored. These variables are stored in the /etc/rc.config file and are read by the envmond daemon at system start-up. If a variable is not set, the default value of that variable is assumed. Specifies the state of Envi- ronmental Monitoring. If this variable is set to zero (0), the Environmental Monitoring package is not started during the system boot. If this variable is set to 1, and Environmental Monitoring is supported by that platform, it is started during the system boot. The default value is zero (0). Specifies the time (in minutes) that can elapse between the detection of a high temperature condition and the shutdown of the system. The default value is 15 minutes. Specifies the threshold level that can be encountered before the envmond daemon broad- casts a warning and suggested action. Specifies the frequency (in seconds) between queries of the system by the envmond daemon. The default value is 60 seconds. Specifies the path of a user-defined script that you want to the envmond daemon to execute when a high threshold level is encountered. The envmond daemon continues to check the environment after the script has executed and proceeds as needed should the high threshold levels persist. If you set this variable, the envmond daemon directs output from the script to /dev/console. Output is not displayed on standard output or written to a file as this is not the behavior of the daemon. To display on standard output, explicitly specify the logger command within the user defined script. Turns the envmond daemon on or off after system startup. Displays the values of ENVMON_CONFIGURED, ENVMON_GRACE_PERIOD, ENVMON_HIGH_THRESH, ENVMON_MONITOR_PERIOD and ENVMON_USER_SCRIPT as specified in the /etc/rc.config file. If a specified entry is not found, the environmental variable is not displayed. DESCRIPTION
The envconfig utility is used to customize the envmond daemon. You must have root privileges to use this utility. Using this utility, you can: Specify whether or not Environmental Monitoring is turned on or off at system startup. Specify how much time can elapse between the envmond daemon encountering a critical condition and the daemon initiating an orderly shutdown of the system. Specify how frequently the envmond daemon queries the system for information. Start and stop the envmond after Environmental Monitoring has been turned on at system startup. Display the settings of the environment variables as specified in the /etc/rc.config file. Note that the feature that you want to monitor must be supported on a given platform. For example, the AlphaServer 8400/GS140 supports reporting of power supply and fan status, the current system temperature, and the maximum allowed system temperature. EXAMPLES
The following procedure describes how you test for and start the environmental monitoring subsystem In multiuser mode, check the status of the environmental monitoring subsystem as follows: # /sbin/sysconfig -q envmon envmon: env_current_temp = 35 env_high_temp_thresh = 40 env_fan_status = 0 env_ps_status = 0 env_supported = 1 If the value of env_supported is 0, configure the envmond daemon and reboot the system using either of the following methods: At the com- mand prompt, enter the following command: # /usr/sbin/envconfig -c ENVMON_CONFIGURED=1 Use the rcmgr command as follows: # rcmgr set ENVMON_CONFIGURED 1 This command will enable the envmond daemon and export the variable, creating the following two lines in the /etc/rc.configfile: ENVMON_CONFIGURED="1" export ENVMON_CONFIGURED You can use the /sbin/sysconfig command to view the system environment at any time. The envmond daemon will the print warning messages in the event of a power supply failure, abnormality, or high temperatures. Error logs are logged in the /var/adm/binary.errlog. In the following example, the system shuts down in 10 minutes if the temperature does not fall below the critical threshold. /usr/sbin/envconfig -c ENVMON_GRACE_PERIOD=10 FILES
Databases that contains the values of the environment monitoring variables. Note that you must use the rcmgr comand to update the rc.con- fig* files, particularly on clustered systems. SEE ALSO
Commands: envmond(8) envconfig(8)