Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Small UNIX problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Small UNIX problem Post 66969 by tanku on Saturday 19th of March 2005 01:43:30 AM
Old 03-19-2005
sorry i haven't learned about shell programming but i learn a little about awk, so if you don't mind i will do it in awk. i modified earlier post in another thread so it give out the name of your file instead of number

gawk '/\.txt$/ { fn=$0;next} {print > fn}' < A

Code:
$ cat A
a.txt
a 1
a 2
xnzbcnzbxcbzxncbmnzxbcmzx

a 3
b.txt
b1
b2
b3

$ gawk '/\.txt$/ { fn=$0;next} {print > fn}' < A

$ ls
A  a.txt  b.txt

$ cat a.txt
a 1
a 2
xnzbcnzbxcbzxncbmnzxbcmzx

a 3

$ cat b.txt
b1
b2
b3

of course you could fix the regex to be more specific for your needs

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

small unix!

i'm looking to put a very minimal unix on a 386 i just acquired. it needs to be downloadable and i need to install it using 3.5 floppies! thanks for suggestions, -nydel (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nydel
4 Replies

2. Programming

a small problem

hey there i kinda have a small/big problem. i have created a 'small' version of a shell that only accepts ls comamnds. my problem is that when i compiled the program and got it to work, i deleted the .c file from which the shell was created. but now, i would like to do some more work on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mile1982
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

small date problem

Hi there I currently use a line in a script ndate=$(date +"%d/%m/%Y") This obviously returns the date in a format i have chosen. However, I need to come up with a solution for weekends and as such need a way of returning todays date minus two days in the same format (24/11/2004) so for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
3 Replies

4. IP Networking

Small problem...

Nice pictures, really free from virtual swingers club !!!! Anal sex Body art Gay Hardcore Lesbian Oral sex Cum XXX Models Private Image Galleries Private XXX photo Free!!! Say no to Spamers!!! Auto forum spam msg replacer by Swinguru © (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Green_Monkey23
1 Replies

5. SCO

Small Problem with SCO

Help Please , how to shutdown SCO v. 5.0.5 from client pc ( windows xp or 2000 ) ? i have full access from client and i need to shutdown SCO from windows (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rabih_saleh
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

small problem

Hey everyone! What's the command to check the last time a file was "touched"? Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yosef_yaniv
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A small AWK problem

I have a file tmp.out with contents: 2008-08-09 05:11:01 2008-08-09 08:52:59 2008-08-11 12:08:34 2008-08-11 12:15:40 I want the output to be: 3|0|1|71|2008-08-09 05:11:01|2008-08-30 11:19:28 4|0|1|71|2008-08-09 08:52:59|2008-08-30 11:19:28 5|0|1|71|2008-08-11 12:08:34|2008-08-30 11:19:28... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED help, small problem

Hi, I have this sed command to grep a date from a filename for a script we have. I am awful with sed so I need help. Sometimes it works fine but other times it does not, see below. works bash-3.00# echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GermanJulian
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

Small Problem about Default Gateway

I have Ubuntu linux Os with two eth cards. I can easily delete def gatewayg. But I can't add new one.. :confused::confused: When I run route-n: alperen@alperen-System-Product-Name:~$ route -n Kernel IP routing table Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mhnds
1 Replies

10. Linux

Small problem

hello, i am a newbie and i really need your help i have an centos 6.5 and i wonder if i can create a list with random 4 letters : gdjf ornc tyrn jfdn nofd etc.... if it can be done , i will really apreciate your help ! THANKS !!! ---------- Post updated at 07:16 AM... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: suppliernr1
10 Replies
unix2dos(1)						      General Commands Manual						       unix2dos(1)

NAME
unix2dos - UNIX to DOS text file format converter SYNOPSYS
unix2dos [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents unix2dos, the program that converts text files in UNIX format to DOS format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates unix2dos under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. unix2dos Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. unix2dos a.txt b.txt unix2dos -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. unix2dos a.txt -c iso b.txt unix2dos -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. unix2dos -k a.txt unix2dos -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. unix2dos -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos a.txt -n b.txt e.txt unix2dos -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. unix2dos -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHOR
Benjamin Lin - ( blin@socs.uts.edu.au ) MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
dos2unix(1) 1995.03.31 unix2dos v2.2 unix2dos(1)