Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: PS1 in ksh
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers PS1 in ksh Post 66930 by rein on Friday 18th of March 2005 05:10:04 AM
Old 03-18-2005
HOST=`hostname`
PS1='${USER}@${HOST}:${PWD}> '
export PS1

seems to work

the problem was more in using " ... " instead of ' ... ' because I tried both syntaxes

still leaves the question of how to make it bold.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I changed PS1 and now ....

Hello I am using Debain Potato and I changed the PS1. When I log in locally everythink is fine, except that when I enter a long row without hitting enter, then it word wraps automatically. And it does it not at the end of the row, it does it in the middle of the row! It also does not writes... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fwurm
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PS1 variable

I want to set my prompt to something more descriptive than a plain old $, so I set the PS1 variable as such: PS1="" Which changes the prompt correctly, but when I change directories, it does not update the prompt. So I tried this: PS1="`pwd`>" I get the same results when changing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PS1 problem

can anyone tell me how to change the $ prompt by calling a variable. Say for example i called a var 'enable' I and would like the $ prompt to change to a phrase like 'my prompt' any help would be great (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pg080394
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To change PS1 for every one second

I want to change the PS1 prompt with current time. I want the PS1 to update for every one second. I write a Script. PS1='\T' but it updates after i press enter key.I want to update without pressing enter key. can any one help me? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshmananindia
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PS1 prompt

please advise what's wrong with this command ? PS1="`hostname`:`who am i | cut -d " " -f1`:>>" trying to make the PS1 prompt look like : machine_name:username:>> thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venhart
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Export PS1 I think :-0

I am 100% new to Unix and trying to learn. This is my first time even touching a script in Unix. We have the following variable script that I am trying to run.... ################################## ###### variable test### ################################## Hostname=`hostname`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PS1 challenge

Ok then i Have a challenge for you : Give me PS1 so that it always display the least 2 levels of directory (except if i am above of course) I want it this way : so if i go to / /home/ /home/user /home/user/whatever /home/user/whatever1/whatever2 my PS1 should respectively... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctsgnb
12 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting PS1

I have set PSI for my prompt using the following command: PS1="${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\\u@\h:\\\w\a]\ "which produces chrisd@pguk:~]I want to include [ in the beginning but cannot understand the way to do this. Also I want to show only the current directory, not the whole... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing PS1

I have coded PS1 as shown, producing the following result when writing on the command line ┌─ cdl └──╼ make tracepdf2d If I make an error in the command an ✗ is printed ┌─ ✗ cdl └──╼ ls-a ls-a: command not found My problem is that if I just press enter, I do not want to have the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PS1 - change

Hello I am attempting to generate a bash scrip that prompts me at loggin to change my PS1 - However, I am running into an issue w/ the code. #!/bin/bash #the point of this script is to that it automates and changes my prompts every day msg1="What do you feel like adding today :" echo... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: D'go
11 Replies
shell_builtins(1)														 shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)