Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: GNU tar on SUN 9
Operating Systems Solaris GNU tar on SUN 9 Post 66877 by dangral on Thursday 17th of March 2005 01:51:31 PM
Old 03-17-2005
Try to tar something small, that way when you test it wont run for hours. Then do a tar xvf with the GNU tar and post the results back.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gnu tar on Solaris 8

Here is how I got where I am: I tried untarring tomcat and at the end of the untar I get the following: So I downloaded GNU tar and did a pkgadd -d, which installed the package. But when I run /usr/local/bin/tar, I get this message: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dangral
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with GNU tar installation

Hi all, Need some help here. I've been trying to install GNU tar version 1.12 into my Solaris 9 machine. steps that I have done was: -untar the package file -run "./configure" -run "make" command (got stuck at this point) Got the following error messages after hitting the make... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suffer0
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GNU tar automatic gz detection/decompression

I stumbled on this feature on a SLES10 system yesterday... if you tar tf filename.tar.gz or tar xf filename.tar.gz it automatically gunzips the data for you. Has this feature been around for a while? I have 1.12 on my system, which doesn't, but the 1.20 manual mentions it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Annihilannic
3 Replies

4. AIX

GNU Tar with compression for AIX 4.2 already compiled ?

Is there a GNU Tar available with compression option available for AIX 4.2 that I can directly use (not having to compile anything, simple installation) ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

extraction of directory and below using gnu tar

i need to restore everything in a certain directory and lower. I have a tgz archive of all of the files, and i need to restore everything in /user/home/xxxx/ and below. this is a users home directory. this is a dumb question and i know when i see the answer i am going to say DUH, but i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
2 Replies

6. AIX

GNU TAR vs NATIVE AIX TAR

Hello, Getting this very strange error, made tar/zip through gnu tar GNU Tar ( successful tar and zip without any errors ) /opt/freeware/bin/tar cvf - /oraapp| gzip > /backup/bkp_15_6_16_oraapp.tgz GNU unTar error root@test8:/>gunzip < /config1/bkp_15_6_16_oraapp.tgz |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies
procsystime(1m) 						   USER COMMANDS						   procsystime(1m)

NAME
procsystime - analyse system call times. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
procsystime [-acehoT] [ -p PID | -n name | command ] DESCRIPTION
procsystime prints details on system call times for processes, both the elapsed times and on-cpu times can be printed. The elapsed times are interesting, to help identify syscalls that take some time to complete (during which the process may have slept). CPU time helps us identify syscalls that are consuming CPU cycles to run. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. OPTIONS
-a print all data -c print syscall counts -e print elapsed times, ns -o print CPU times, ns -T print totals -p PID examine this PID -n name examine processes which have this name EXAMPLES
Print elapsed times for PID 1871, # procsystime -p 1871 Print elapsed times for processes called "tar", # procsystime -n tar Print CPU times for "tar" processes, # procsystime -on tar Print syscall counts for "tar" processes, # procsystime -cn tar Print elapsed and CPU times for "tar" processes, # procsystime -eon tar print all details for "bash" processes, # procsystime -aTn bash run and print details for "df -h", # procsystime df -h FIELDS
SYSCALL System call name TIME (ns) Total time, nanoseconds COUNT Number of occurrences DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
procsystime will sample until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
dtruss(1M), dtrace(1M), truss(1) version 1.00 Sep 22, 2005 procsystime(1m)